Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If McDonagh has another monster series AND the Rangers hold Doughty in check, he might be a decent candidate but that requires more to happen than if Lundqvist just Lundqvist's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Robo-Pope posted:

NYR's list is realistically one player long. I think Lundqvist's odds of winning the Smythe if his team loses are pretty good.

If it's a long series, especially with close games, yeah, I can see Hank getting it no matter what. If the Rangers win, there is no discussion, unless MSL goes on some absurd tear through the series.

If LA wins it in 4 or 5, it'll be Gaborik.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Unless MSL scores the OT game-winner in three Finals games or something, there's no realistic scenario in which the Rangers win the cup and Lundqvist does not with the Conn Smythe.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Buane posted:

Unless MSL scores the OT game-winner in three Finals games or something, there's no realistic scenario in which the Rangers win the cup and Lundqvist does not with the Conn Smythe.

Question is, does he lift the cup if they win or will one or all of the alternate captains do that?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

But... his mom Died!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

ThinkTank posted:

Question is, does he lift the cup if they win or will one or all of the alternate captains do that?

I think one of Staal, Lundqvist, or Girardi gets it. Outside shot it's Richards.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Has there ever been a situation where a team without a captain has competed for the Stanley Cup before?

e: Wikipedia says the last team to do so was the 72/73 Blackhawks.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So there was a limited ticket sale for the SCF at MSG at noon and I had two 100 level tickets in my cart for $1,300 but as I was typing in the bs spam bot code thingy a window came up and said oops someone beat me to em :(

God damnit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a team without a captain has competed for the Stanley Cup before?

69-70 and 71-72 Bruins won without one.

Bucyk was presented the Cup in both cases. They went by seniority.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 2, 2014

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

LA is gonna win it all.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CBJSprague24 posted:

This series sounds like it's going to be a boring matchup and I don't know who to pull for. Plus, Nash vs. Carter. Oh God.

This is basically the "Jackets are bad at team management" series.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Yo, Dorsett is not likeable. He's a headbutting piece of poo poo. You're welcome. Also gently caress MSL.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

double sulk posted:

As a Flyers fan this series is the worst, so gently caress both of these teams and gently caress these finals.

rip?

Wolfy posted:

The NHL always uses 8 EST as a start time, even when they had Vancouver in the finals. More of the population lives in the east in both countries, it really makes sense that you aren't having the games end at midnight for them.

Also game 2 is starting at that time because for once the horses are a lead-in to hockey and not the other way around

e: And this is why NY-LA isn't what the NHL really wanted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-game-7-tv-ratings-20140602,0,5689044.story

quote:

NBC executives have reason to mourn the Blackhawks' Game 7 loss to the Kings.

Although a Rangers-Kings matchup will deliver to the network the nation's two largest TV markets, there can be no denying that the Blackhawks' loss will deny them the league's most avid fan base.

The proof is in the Game 7 numbers. According to NBC Sports Network, which televised the game, the Kings' 5-4 overtime win earned record ratings in both markets. But while Los Angeles produced a pedestrian 4.8 rating, Chicago delivered a whopping 22.7 figure, which translates to more than 800,000 homes.

That's a number even New York can't match. The Rangers, who punched a ticket to the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1994 last week by beating the Canadiens, earned an 8.5 rating for their Game 6 clincher.

Clearly, the Blackhawks -- and their loyal fans -- will be missed.

e2: And Kenny is subbing for Doc on Wednesday, Doc had a death in the family.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 2, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As a Chicago sports fan I have a firm gently caress LA and gently caress NY policy, so I'm not sure what to think of the SCF. On the one hand, I'd rather have my team lose to the eventual champion, but on the other hand I'd rather see the Cup go to a team that hasn't won it in 20 years.

I am very torn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shares aren't very useful on their own though.

New York has 4 times the population of Chicago. An 8.5 could actually be more people.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Vertical Lime posted:

rip?

Also game 2 is starting at that time because for once the horses are a lead-in to hockey and not the other way around

e: And this is why NY-LA isn't what the NHL really wanted

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-game-7-tv-ratings-20140602,0,5689044.story

e2: And Kenny is subbing for Doc on Wednesday, Doc had a death in the family.

Not even surprised about this. LA fans arent exactly crazy. Even with the bandwagon of people in NY most people won't be at home watching. They will all be at bars watching and that doesnt bring in numbers.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One of their goals is also trying to make more of a headway into other markets. You could say Chicago is already saturated when LA has plenty of room to make inroads.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

sweet thursday posted:

One of their goals is also trying to make more of a headway into other markets. You could say Chicago is already saturated when LA has plenty of room to make inroads.

Yea I think that's the goal of the league. Get more markets and if they could get LA all about it then that would be huge. Issue is that area has so many teams and other sports that are way bigger.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Surfing Turtle posted:

Not even surprised about this. LA fans arent exactly crazy. Even with the bandwagon of people in NY most people won't be at home watching. They will all be at bars watching and that doesnt bring in numbers.

Why would there be a bigger share of people watching in bars in NY? Chicago has more bars than nyc in absolute numbers afaik, so even a cultural difference wouldn't mean much when there isn't capacity.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Why would there be a bigger share of people watching in bars in NY? Chicago has more bars than nyc in absolute numbers afaik, so even a cultural difference wouldn't mean much when there isn't capacity.

No I meant that it would decrease the households watching number. Or I am probably not understanding how tv shares work.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dorsett was likeable until he left Columbus, so I don't know what happened.

e- Now that I think about it, so was Tom Sestito, and we all know how that turned out. :iiam:

VJeff posted:

This is basically the "Jackets are bad at team management" series.

Double-edged sword.

Nash yielded Dubinsky (owns, probable captain), Anisimov (owns), Erixon (ehh), and Rychel, who sounds like he could be a stud.

Carter lost Columbus Voracek, but became JMFJ (mixed bag, but the CBJ needed help on the blue line at the time) and Marko Dano, who I guess the Jackets are excited about, too. I wouldn't be disappointed to have Voracek back, though.

Brassard (center depth), Moore (Dalton Prout, Tim Erixon), and Dorsett (punchman who can score sometimes) were expendable at the time they were traded for Gaborik, which felt like a worthwhile deal. Jarmo himself admitted it didn't go like they would've liked it to, but I'm still not sure trading him at the Deadline was totally necessary other than "getting something out of him" seeing as he'd had 14 points in 22 games this season.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 2, 2014

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Here's a fun article:

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-02/new-york-fans-save-money-by-watching-rangers-play-in-los-angeles.html

quote:

It would cost New York fans less to fly to Los Angeles in two days, rent a hotel room and buy a resale ticket for Game 1 than it would to purchase an averaged-priced seat for Games 3, 4 or 6, which will be at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, according to secondary-market ticket aggregator SeatGeek.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A friend of mine tweeted last night that one regular-priced ticket to a SCF game at MSG cost more than his full-season ticket package for the Jackets.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

They're not factoring in the car rental so you can actually do things while in LA.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

Well to be fair, games 4 and 6 have the potential to be elimination games

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

A bunch of people in NY were taking Amtrak to go down to Philly for the flyers series because of this. MSG prices are complete insanity.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

LmaoTheKid posted:

They're not factoring in the car rental so you can actually do things while in LA.

I think they actually do later down.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Haha like that would help.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

LA fans are just as crazy as anybody else, there just aren't a lot of us. A low percentage of LA sports fans care about the Kings but LA still has a lot of people so they do OK.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Staples Center is in one of the few places you can get around easily by trains, walking and the occasional Lyft/Uber. I mean yeah, if you want to go to Malibu or the Getty or something you should get a car.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 2, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lower bowl tickets are $3-4k. Glass seats are $5k+. Holy crap.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
That seems obscenely high to me :stare:

Has anyone here spent that much on just one ticket?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

MSG pricing is all sorts of stupidity right now. I'm glad I went last round in the lower bowl for face value.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dorsett was likeable until he left Columbus, so I don't know what happened.

He's likeable when he's on your team, not so much if your team is playing against him. He had a bit of a rough start with the Rangers and did some stupid poo poo resulting in dumb penalties, but he got sorted out and when he's healthy and ready to play he's quite good in his role. I like him as a fourth liner with Boyle and Moore, he skates a lot faster than you'd think by looking at his stride and never passes up a chance to throw a big hit on the forecheck.

quote:

Nash yielded Dubinsky (owns, probable captain), Anisimov (owns), Erixon (ehh), and Rychel, who sounds like he could be a stud.

Carter lost Columbus Voracek, but became JMFJ (mixed bag, but the CBJ needed help on the blue line at the time) and Marko Dano, who I guess the Jackets are excited about, too. I wouldn't be disappointed to have Voracek back, though.

Brassard (center depth), Moore (Dalton Prout, Tim Erixon), and Dorsett (punchman who can score sometimes) were expendable at the time they were traded for Gaborik, which felt like a worthwhile deal. Jarmo himself admitted it didn't go like they would've liked it to, but I'm still not sure trading him at the Deadline was totally necessary other than "getting something out of him" seeing as he'd had 14 points in 22 games this season.

In some ways the trades probably worked out alright for both teams, though I still wish the Rangers had Dubinsky. Nash hasn't been amazing for the Rangers but he's still been pretty good, even if his playoff stats aren't great. I actually like Brassard a lot even if he'll also probably never totally live up to his talent level, Moore as well. They've all just kind of gelled nicely with the team and I can't complain about the position they're in now.

Really the only guy I miss a lot is Dubinsky, but what are you gonna do?

Habibi posted:

Haha like that would help.

Meh just get up in the morning and drive to the beach for the day. LA traffic blows but it's still doable if you avoid the times you know are high traffic.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

That seems obscenely high to me :stare:

Has anyone here spent that much on just one ticket?

That's what happens in a city full of investment bankers and poo poo like that...takes a lot of money to live in Manhattan so those people probably have the cash to spend on hockey games.

Still, that's a loving lot. I can't imagine they won't sell out but it sucks for the people who are big fans but can't afford those prices

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I really messed up this year not getting my playoff tickets for the Rangers. (Hate myself for trying to be financially responsible)

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

CBJSprague24 posted:

they also got bordering on nothing for gaborik and could have used him down the stretch and in the playoffs

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
The question of "why do the lovely Sabres get so many nationally televised games on NBC?" has been asked a couple of times this season, and to illustrate why:

NBCSportsPR @NBCSportsPR · 3h
Top 5 markets for last night's Game 7: Chicago 22.7; Buffalo 7.3; L.A. 4.8; Min-SP 4.3; Boston 3.9

Those numbers will likely go up for the finals

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
And that's why we deserve a cup :smith:.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

FetalDave posted:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

FetalDave posted:

and here's why you don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
gently caress literally every team in the NHL that isn't Buffalo

• Locked thread