Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I haven't heard of anyone saying the Rangers have a chance because they've had an easier path, but those who are, yeah that logic is dumb. The Kings have come out into the SCF despite playing better teams in more difficult series, which shows how much resiliency and mental keenness they have.

I honestly think the "obviously LA will sweep" thing is dumb, the Rangers are a good loving team, they roll four solid lines and three solid D with Moore in, and have the best goalie in the league. The Kings play a brutal heavy possession game, but the Rangers are fast as poo poo and if they can stretch pass or get by noted mobile wizards Willie Mitchell and Robyn Regehr to create chances, we'll see. I think the Kings are certainly a better team and will win the series but counting the Rangers out is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The "easier path to the finals" part is dumb but the Rangers did get 5 days off which could be a pretty big deal at this stage with both teams having played a bunch. I guess the theory is also that the Kings have played more physical series' and therefor might be more beat up but I'm not betting on that one.

I think the rest could make a difference but it's something the Rangers have to exploit, not just something that will hand games to them on a platter

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Mr. Kite posted:

What I don't get is the people saying that the Rangers have a chance because they had an easier path to the Finals and the Kings are beat up and tired. If the Rangers path was easier but the Rangers needed almost as many games to get here, doesn't that mean the Kings beat better teams and are therefore a better team than the Rangers?

That's only true if you gave a poo poo about the first hot take

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Levitate posted:

The "easier path to the finals" part is dumb but the Rangers did get 5 days off which could be a pretty big deal at this stage with both teams having played a bunch. I guess the theory is also that the Kings have played more physical series' and therefor might be more beat up but I'm not betting on that one.

I think the rest could make a difference but it's something the Rangers have to exploit, not just something that will hand games to them on a platter

I think that term is kinda bullshit too, they both made it and it hasn't been easy for either team. I do think LA's series have had a lot more hits and were probably more of a heavy grind but that is due to the style they play. The Rangers played 6 games in 9 days and 3 in 4 and came back from 3-1 against Pittsburgh, and Montreal is not an easy team to beat at home.

The Kings "being more beaten up" is also stupid, both teams have had tough grinds, and I do agree that the Rangers being able to rest and rejuvenate could make a slight difference in the early going.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think that term is kinda bullshit too, they both made it and it hasn't been easy for either team. I do think LA's series have had a lot more hits and were probably more of a heavy grind but that is due to the style they play. The Rangers played 6 games in 9 days and 3 in 4 and came back from 3-1 against Pittsburgh, and Montreal is not an easy team to beat at home.

The Kings "being more beaten up" is also stupid, both teams have had tough grinds, and I do agree that the Rangers being able to rest and rejuvenate could make a slight difference in the early going.

The blackhawks don't beat anyone up. So ya know, its like only two series worth of being beaten up.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RC Cola posted:

The blackhawks don't beat anyone up. So ya know, its like only two series worth of being beaten up.

They dont physically beat teams up, they force them to play a higher pace game that is physically draining. Its why they only play 40 minutes out of the 60 in every game! :v:

:smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Can anyone recommend a different source for custom sweaters that isn't the NHL Shop.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

n: no hockey tonight means no gdt

v: i don't know where to post after i get drunk :smith:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

Can anyone recommend a different source for custom sweaters that isn't the NHL Shop.

http://www.icejerseys.com/

Evidently, they're currently doing a 20% off all merchandise (including jerseys) promotion on eliminated teams. So on the bright side of things I can get a slightly discounted Subban jersey. :v:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ayn rand hand job posted:

I mean... do you want them to be legit? I've been using AliBaba/AliExpress the last year or so for my apparel needs and they're usually pretty good quality, just need to pay attention to the pictures and descriptions. IceJerseys is one I've heard good things about, looks like they sell legit gear? :shrug:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

n: no hockey tonight means no gdt

v: i don't know where to post after i get drunk :smith:

The Howl of the GBS is calling out to you

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The Casualty posted:

No don't

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I mean... do you want them to be legit? I've been using AliBaba/AliExpress the last year or so for my apparel needs and they're usually pretty good quality, just need to pay attention to the pictures and descriptions. IceJerseys is one I've heard good things about, looks like they sell legit gear? :shrug:

More or less,ambivalent.

Would like to get something now that I blew my NHL shop fuckup promo credit on 4 coasters.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Ali is a pretty good source then, just know that there's a TON of sellers on there so its easiest to just search around for "Sidney Crosby jersey" or whatever suits you.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

I think the rest makes a difference because McDonagh was playing through an injury, looked great against the Habs, and should be at 100% now. The team really needs him to match up to Gaborik/Kopitar.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm not sure how worn down the Kings will be, the games I watched against Chicago didn't seem all that grinding. I'm not sure they want to go for a grinding game against the Rangers though, as they're liable to get burned by speed and too much focus on making a point of being physical isn't necessarily going to leverage an advantage in size. The Rangers are smallest up the middle, their centers are basically 6' 196lbs, but their wingers are either big guys or deadly fast guys who make a living because they can avoid hits. Despite "size" being noted as a Kings essential to winning according to many writers, the thing the Rangers really need to be concerned about is Kopitar/Gaborik+Doughty being good enough to beat their top defensemen and goaltender, with a really serious secondary scoring threat from Carter, plus Williams and Toffoli. They've got scary scoring depth poised to outmatch the Rangers depth by sheer breadth of might.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The Casualty posted:

that should never happen no matter what drugs youre on

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Gio posted:

that should never happen no matter what drugs youre on

yeah tbh i'll probably just wind up in the MLB gifs thread. i don't even like baseball but that thread is hilarious

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zodijackylite posted:

the thing the Rangers really need to be concerned about is Kopitar/Gaborik+Doughty being good enough to beat their top defensemen and goaltender, with a really serious secondary scoring threat from Carter, plus Williams and Toffoli. They've got scary scoring depth poised to outmatch the Rangers depth by sheer breadth of might.

Yeah I'm no expert or anything but I've been really impressed with the Kings depth, even their other lines come up with good shifts more often than it seems like they should. Not that they don't break down sometimes obviously but that's my dumb eye test impression at least.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

RC Cola posted:

The blackhawks don't beat anyone up.

Except for Daniel Sedin :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

yeah tbh i'll probably just wind up in the MLB gifs thread. i don't even like baseball but that thread is hilarious

Its an amazing thread that I too, a non-baseball fan, enjoy visiting. :):hf::)

Are people really saying that the Rags having 4 lines to run is an advantage? Because LA ran 4 very successful lines against Chicago every game and it was probably what tipped that series in their favor in the end. The more I think about it the more sure I am that its going to be a short series of very close games.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ZeeBoi posted:

Boo my jersey order was denied

I haven't heard anything about my Hawks jersey order. I wonder what is going to happen with it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TMMadman posted:

I haven't heard anything about my Hawks jersey order. I wonder what is going to happen with it.

Heading to the third world as we speak.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Hell yeah that thread rules.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I'm no expert or anything but I've been really impressed with the Kings depth, even their other lines come up with good shifts more often than it seems like they should. Not that they don't break down sometimes obviously but that's my dumb eye test impression at least.

That would be because every line and pairing on the Kings was at least 52% Fenwick For Percentage. They basically go 4th line (Lewis, Richards, Clifford) 52-53%, 3rd line (King, Stoll, Williams) 54-56%, 2nd line (Pearson, Carter, Toffoli) 55-58%, 1st line (Gaborik, Kopitar, Brown) 57%-61%.

Then the pairings would be from lowest to highest like so: 2nd pairing - hardest assignments (Regehr/Mitchell, Voynov) 52-54%, 3rd pairing - easiest assignments (Martinez, Greene) 56-59%, and 1st pairing - match-up deployment (Doughty, Muzzin) 57-60%.

So yeah, you have a good eyeball and the Kings are crazy deep and Sutter likes to roll 4 lines. Except game 7 in Chicago when Clifford got benched almost as bad as Versteeg or Bollig.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I don't understand why Williams needs to slum it with King and Stoll. I would really love to see him switch places with Brown.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

yellowcar posted:

http://www.icejerseys.com/

Evidently, they're currently doing a 20% off all merchandise (including jerseys) promotion on eliminated teams. So on the bright side of things I can get a slightly discounted Subban jersey. :v:

I theoretically would've liked a CBJ home jersey, preferably Dubinsky. Looks like I'll have to settle for the tattoo sleeve. :smith:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm working a late shift at our university library on Thursday, so I can stay up till 4am+ and watch game 1 on Wednesday night and not have to come in until 11am on Thursday. Yay sleep!

I've killed myself watching the playoffs this season so I'll be happy when it's all over. Please somebody win in 4 games and end the madness for us Europeans :zombie:

Not sure how I feel about LA/NY. I'm East coast biased, as a lot of Europeans are because it's the only teams we really get to see live. I wanted Montreal to get through because I'm a Canadophile and I think they deserve a cup up there, but now that NY are through I want them to win because it's been 20 years since they won. But they beat my Penguins.

What do I do SAS?!

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

I think the long rest the Rags have had could actually be detrimental. It might take some time to get back in the groove and I've heard that players rather get right back into it than have an extended break from games. I guess we'll see how it works out. If there is any difference in how ready the teams are it might be evened out before the half way point of game 1 so not a huge thing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Personally, I made a bet during the third round that the Kings win the cup, so I guess that settles my allegiance.

Still, I won't be sad if the Rangers win. Go hockey.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I just realized I predicted this very SCF setup at the preseason...

...of 2011-2012.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

AngryBooch posted:

That would be because every line and pairing on the Kings was at least 52% Fenwick For Percentage. They basically go 4th line (Lewis, Richards, Clifford) 52-53%, 3rd line (King, Stoll, Williams) 54-56%, 2nd line (Pearson, Carter, Toffoli) 55-58%, 1st line (Gaborik, Kopitar, Brown) 57%-61%.

Then the pairings would be from lowest to highest like so: 2nd pairing - hardest assignments (Regehr/Mitchell, Voynov) 52-54%, 3rd pairing - easiest assignments (Martinez, Greene) 56-59%, and 1st pairing - match-up deployment (Doughty, Muzzin) 57-60%.

So yeah, you have a good eyeball and the Kings are crazy deep and Sutter likes to roll 4 lines. Except game 7 in Chicago when Clifford got benched almost as bad as Versteeg or Bollig.

Seemed like Lewis and Clifford were benched when things got tight in game 7, and Richards got some more ice time. I think the Rangers fourth line is great because they have two guys who could be third line centers on there (Moore/Boyle) and Dorsett has even been playing well - I didn't know until recently that he was fast and good on the forecheck.

Both teams have fierce comparables, but of course it comes down to who plays better, because when you have Gaborik, Kopitar, Carter, and Doughty against St. Louis, Kreider, Nash, and McDonagh, the only guarantee is that Rangers fans are going to be mean to Nash. :(

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Rutkowski posted:

I just realized I predicted this very SCF setup at the preseason...

...of 2011-2012.

I predicted the Rangers would go to the Finals in 2012 as well, just because of the Staal trend, I thought a Staal brother was going to win every four years.

Eric in 2004, Jordan in 2008, and in 2012 Marc got real close. If they win this year, it would suck to be Jared.

LumpyGumby fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

Seemed like Lewis and Clifford were benched when things got tight in game 7, and Richards got some more ice time. I think the Rangers fourth line is great because they have two guys who could be third line centers on there (Moore/Boyle) and Dorsett has even been playing well - I didn't know until recently that he was fast and good on the forecheck.

What I like about the Rangers fourth line is that there's no need to bench them in a tight game, AV can just keep rolling his lines. They're great on draws, defensively, forechecking and sustaining pressure in the offensive zone, and can score some goals.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Also Nash played really well away from the puck last round. I can't be mad at him.

I just hope he scores a bit this round, the Rangers really need him.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

LmaoTheKid posted:

Also Nash played really well away from the puck last round. I can't be mad at him.

I just hope he scores a bit this round, the Rangers really need him.

Yeah Nash hasn't been playing bad. He's had plenty of scoring chances and like you said playing great away from the puck. But at this point he needs to finish more and put up more points, my patience with that has run out.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
I think Nash has been fine. One of the keys I think will be the fact that the Rangers really need Brad Richards to give them something in this series. He has been one of the weaker forwards on the ice these playoffs. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he's been their fourth best center. While I've been one of the biggest Richards defenders (I think he got way too much heat for a pretty decent season last year) he's a lock to not be on the team next year anyway, so go out with a bang. If he's not generating offense or holding his own in possession, it's going to be a big matchup problem with how solid the Kings are at the position.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Possession stats suggest that Richards and Moore have been equally terrible this playoffs. Conversely, Stepan and Brassard have been as good as the other two have been bad so I guess that balances things out.

You can sorta excuse Moore because he's started 30% of his shifts in the attacking zone, but Richards has no excuse considering he's begun 57.8% of his shifts there.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 3, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ThinkTank posted:

Possession stats suggest that Richards and Moore have been equally terrible this playoffs. Conversely, Stepan and Brassard have been as good as the other two have been bad so I guess that balances things out.

Until Dustin Brown plants an elbow on Stepans broken jaw.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah Richards needs to step up, get more of his shots on net and distribute the puck better. Also really needs to step up on the powerplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Everyone wants to be mad at Nash but he has been playing well. He just hasn't been scoring like he was brought in for but he is doing everything else.

• Locked thread