Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Get out the brooms, because LA is going to sweep.

Sorry Rangers, but you don't have the size or the offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Please win Rangers!
-Eastern Conference

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Get out the brooms, because LA is going to sweep.

Sorry Rangers, but you don't have the size or the offense.

a bold prediction that you will probably conveniently neglect to mention again when it doesn't happen

except, possibly, as these things tend to go, to explain how you would have totally been right if [x] did not occur

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Please win Rangers!
-Everyone outside LA

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Brad Doty going wild

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Who are the Kings~ Most of LA

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Yeah pretty much. Kings shoulda bounced in round one and isn't even the best CA team. =/

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Rutkowski posted:

Yeah pretty much. Kings shoulda bounced in round one and isn't even the best CA team. =/

I disagree, they shouldn't have been eliminated because they won 4 out of 7 games and also I think they are the best CA team but not by very much over SJ.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

LA are a good possession team, but they've been fortunate making it to the finals so far. They've been wildly inconsistent throughout the playoffs, and you can't say that winning 3 straight game 7s on the road is anything more than blind luck.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

They've been inconsistent sure, but what team hasn't been? Also it is disingenuous to say that winning three Game 7s on the road is blind luck. They smashed San Jose and Anaheim in their Game 7s, and beat a really good Chicago team (which you can argue outplayed LA in that game, but it's not "blind luck" that LA won).

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

LA are a good possession team, but they've been fortunate making it to the finals so far. They've been wildly inconsistent throughout the playoffs, and you can't say that winning 3 straight game 7s on the road is anything more than blind luck.

Game 7 against Anaheim was a 6-2 win; how is that blind luck?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
and they've only faced average defenses and goaltending

rabble rabble rabble

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Cup of Hemlock posted:

It is when you're full of poo poo and don't know what the gently caress you're talking about.

The Kings faced 3 very good teams and defeated each of them. Yes, they didn't go 12-2 like in 2012 but it counts just the same.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The thing is, and I know this as a Devils fan: The Kings are peaking at the right time again. They will just grind the gently caress out of you until the cup is theirs.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

The thing is, and I know this as a Devils fan: The Kings are peaking at the right time again. They will just grind the gently caress out of you until the cup is theirs.

And this is why the Rangers can't fall into the same trap they almost fell into with Montreal getting frustrated. You last a lot longer if you don't bother with that type of game and wear yourself out trying to counter-punch. Chicago could have gotten itself into way worse trouble.

Hell, the Bruins have made a career out of that lately.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

DOOMocrat posted:

And this is why the Rangers can't fall into the same trap they almost fell into with Montreal getting frustrated. You last a lot longer if you don't bother with that type of game and wear yourself out trying to counter-punch. Chicago could have gotten itself into way worse trouble.

Hell, the Bruins have made a career out of that lately.

what same trap with Montreal?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cup of Hemlock posted:

He wasn't literally talking only about the Game 7s, genius.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

most posters on this forums will say "teams who make the stanley cup finals have to get extraordinarily lucky, in that they need to keep their core players healthy, they need to not run into poor matchups, they need to blahblahblahblah" but now the kings are TOO lucky to have stayed healthy and beaten their tough matchups and won their game 7s and blahblahblah.

it's amazing how easily people will fall into Mike Milbury-level attempts at insight when teams they dislike end up succeeding

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just a gentle, kneading reminder to get your picks in for the Pick'em Contest Final Round. Prizes are to be won! Though probably not by you if you haven't entered yet. Head on over here to get your picks in before it's too late!

e. requisite :siren:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

LA has so much grit I smoothed the finish on my maple cherry bookshelf with Kings game tapes

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

what same trap with Montreal?

After Game 3 when Montreal's antagonistic play was causing the Rangers to take more penalties. After the Prust hit, really. The trick against teams that draw you off your game with grind hitting or general shenanigans is to ignore em', which I think the Rangers can do against LA.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

a false posted:

a bold prediction that you will probably conveniently neglect to mention again when it doesn't happen

except, possibly, as these things tend to go, to explain how you would have totally been right if [x] did not occur

Dude, I picked Kings to win before the playoffs started? Check my SAS bracket, I'm hot these playoffs. Only major error was calling Columbus to go all the way to the final instead of the Rangers.

E: Sorry for the brag post, but I didn't want to neglect to mention my credentials.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

DOOMocrat posted:

After Game 3 when Montreal's antagonistic play was causing the Rangers to take more penalties. After the Prust hit, really. The trick against teams that draw you off your game with grind hitting or general shenanigans is to ignore em', which I think the Rangers can do against LA.

Whatever. Prust pretend-hit a dude so pretend-hard he had to go get pretend surgery. That'd make me pretty mad too. For real.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

quote:

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 33s

NHL: Carcillo suspension revised to six games. Can return for Game 4.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Overwined posted:

Whatever. Prust pretend-hit a dude so pretend-hard he had to go get pretend surgery. That'd make me pretty mad too. For real.

You disrespectful little poo poo, my dad's a bogus surgeon. We gotta eat!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

yessssssssssss get that mans name on the cup

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Carcillo won't play another game anyway unless somebody dies.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Or unless AV wants to heart, grit and rule 48 his way back into a series.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone been by the Rangers store at MSG lately? I stopped in at Modell's today to pick up a SCF shirzee, but the shirts were all vinyl iron-on crap quality that looks like it will peel off after one wash. Are the shirts they're selling at MSG better quality?

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone been by the Rangers store at MSG lately? I stopped in at Modell's today to pick up a SCF shirzee, but the shirts were all vinyl iron-on crap quality that looks like it will peel off after one wash. Are the shirts they're selling at MSG better quality?

They had the same shirt at the MSG store but in 2XL sizes. You got the ECF grey shirt? Mine doesn't feel like that.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

More here: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/pdfs/Commissioner%20Opinon%20-%20Daniel%20Carcillo%20Suspension.pdf

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

yessssssssssss get that mans name on the cup

He's already there. I guess a second time wouldn't hurt.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Emetic Hustler posted:

He's already there. I guess a second time wouldn't hurt.

I know, I just like the idea of Carcillo getting his name on the cup some more

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

I know, I just like the idea of Carcillo getting his name on the cup some more

He can join fellow two timer Colin Fraser.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Surfing Turtle posted:

They had the same shirt at the MSG store but in 2XL sizes. You got the ECF grey shirt? Mine doesn't feel like that.

These were blue, not grey. I'll probably head up there today to check it out myself.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

OldSenileGuy posted:

These were blue, not grey. I'll probably head up there today to check it out myself.

I got this one at the Modells outside Penn. I got the hats at the MSG store so I could use my season subscriber discount. Would have just got the shirt there if they had my size too. Modells though had like a whole section of just the shirts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I still want Carbomb to score the Cup-winning goal.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

This is great. I like how they use the phrase "engaged in fisticuffs". Also, Carcillo telling the ref to gently caress off before he elbowed him. :laugh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aye Doc posted:

it's amazing how easily people will fall into Mike Milbury-level attempts at insight when teams they dislike end up succeeding

Less than two years for people to completely turn on LA. It's kind of astounding. I mean I know there's some pretty lovely elements on that team and I guess the twitter account and Cartman got together and killed all their dads or something but when you're actually rooting for gently caress Corey Perry over somebody, Jesus Christ.

And hey why the gently caress does Carcillo keep getting suspensions for the terrible illegal poo poo he does reduced? This is really stupid.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All that conference championship stuff is going to be super depressing to own if the Rangers don't win the cup.

Aye Doc posted:

most posters on this forums will say "teams who make the stanley cup finals have to get extraordinarily lucky, in that they need to keep their core players healthy, they need to not run into poor matchups, they need to blahblahblahblah" but now the kings are TOO lucky to have stayed healthy and beaten their tough matchups and won their game 7s and blahblahblah.

I'd consider most teams fortunate to win a series that goes to seven games. It doesn't exactly show that a team has been consistent or vastly outplayed their opponent. It's perfectly reasonable to assume the better team will lose a game or two games in a series, but a series going seven games usually indicates that both sides were pretty evenly matched. To do that three times in one year tells me that they were more lucky than effective.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 3, 2014

• Locked thread