Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«151 »
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

Assisted Living Dracula of Wikipedia

DO NOT BELIEVE THIS MAN'S LIE!
Statist shill spreading FUD!

HODL!!

press f to pay respects

quote:

Weíre excited to announce that CreateSpace (CSP) and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will become one service. As a reminder, KDP now offers Expanded Distribution to sell your paperbacks to physical bookstores in the US, as well as the ability to sell your paperback books on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com.au (Amazon.mx coming soon). With these features, KDPís paperback distribution will be on par with CreateSpaceís distribution. KDP also offers features that arenít available on CreateSpace. These include the ability to purchase ads to promote paperbacks on Amazon.com and locally printed author copies in Europe.

As a result of these enhancements to KDP and our ongoing efforts to provide a more seamless experience for managing your paperback and digital books, CreateSpace and KDP will become one service. On KDP, your paperbacks will still be printed in the same facilities, on the same printers, and by the same people as they were on CreateSpace.

yes but what about the money:

quote:

There are a few payment and printing fee differences associated with the move. Any royalties earned while your books are on CreateSpace will be paid according the CreateSpace's payment schedule, 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. After you move your books to KDP, new royalties earned will be paid on KDP's payment schedule. KDP pays royalties on a monthly basis 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, youíll be paid in October for any royalties earned in September on CreateSpace and be paid in November for any royalties earned on KDP. In addition, some low-page count books will see an increase in printing fees when they are printed in the UK and EU. We've already sent an email to the small number of accounts affected by this change. Learn more about KDPís printing costs here.

so the move doesn't presently appear to be mandatory, buuut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

AUSTRALIA
NEEDS
TURNBULL

I've sunk a month's worth of writing income into third-party promotions and advertising for a Kindle Countdown deal, which despite what my dashboard says does not appear to have kicked in and still has my box set listed at full price. Cool. Very cool.

edit - OK false alarm... turns out Countdown deals are only eligible for American and UK customers, and I have an Australian account.

freebooter fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2018 around 00:10

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DO NOT ENGAGE ME. I WILL 'SPERG OUT ON THE TINIEST DETAIL AND NEED TO HAVE THE LAST WORD. I AM CRAZY AND WILL CONTINUE TO BEAT DEAD HORSES

Createspace was some ancient tech - probably good it's gone away. We do a shocking amount of our business through createspace/kdp.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

HODL!!

n8r posted:

Createspace was some ancient tech - probably good it's gone away. We do a shocking amount of our business through createspace/kdp.

not really, KDP is still Createspace with a concussion.

I bet they're gonna kill the CS forums and the extensive help pages and layout template generators and so forth, even though they're vastly superior to the KDP versions.

SaviourX
Sep 29, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Well hello friends, I released a (mostly typo free) set of horror/supernatural shorts two years ago called The Penumbra, which is planned to be an anthologized series of these things.
The first intro story has been free since I first put it online and I recently revamped my site this month as I revised the collection and in preparation for volume 2!

http://thepenumbra.net
(cover work by the forumses own asylum years)

If yall want to do the follow chain thing, I'm https://twitter.com/penumbraben

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

DO NOT ENGAGE ME. I WILL 'SPERG OUT ON THE TINIEST DETAIL AND NEED TO HAVE THE LAST WORD. I AM CRAZY AND WILL CONTINUE TO BEAT DEAD HORSES

divabot posted:

not really, KDP is still Createspace with a concussion.

I bet they're gonna kill the CS forums and the extensive help pages and layout template generators and so forth, even though they're vastly superior to the KDP versions.

I kinda don't blame Amazon, that little corner of their platform was/is legit ancient. My favorite was the cover creator tool running Java, straight up 2006 tech. I was annoyed when our layout person decided to mash the migrate to KDP button then say I told her to do it. It was right before we released a new book, so that caused some confusion because it took a minute to figure out the new platform.

Createspace / KDP has meant that we barely do any offset printing for new titles. Amazon can buy directly from us, but in the last few years they've been buying our titles from B&T which is both good and bad. The good being sending books to B&T is logistically easier, the bad being when Amazon buys directly from us we get better margins and they pay shipping. If we drop our titles from both B&T and Ingram, Amazon will revert back to buying from us, but then we lose out on other resellers who buy from Ingram/B&T. We have tried that with a few titles, and it seems like about 10-15% of the purchasing from Ingram/B&T goes to people other than Amazon.

When you are small/indy you just have to pick which turd you wanna eat.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

It's been a while since I've spent time in this discussion, so forgive me if it's not cool to tout one's services. But if anyone is in need of line editing/copyediting/proofreading, I just had a cancellation for November and can take on a manuscript of any genre and length (though if it's a very large MS, it might take a bit longer than usual because I'm having some medical stuff done at the end of November). Email me at booksidemanner at gmail dot com if you'd like to know more about my rates and the genres I've edited and if you'd like to send a sample edit. Ten percent discount if you mention somethingawful.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Grimey Drawer

If this is the right thread for posting about stuff you self-published, I recently put out a short story collection called Nein Stories. It's just a bunch of loose short pieces that I wrote that didn't fit anywhere else, so I thought I'd put them together and put it out into the world. I'd love to hear any thoughts or criticisms!

http://matthewbriancohen.com/media/...ORIES-SMALL.pdf

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

HODL!!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

If this is the right thread for posting about stuff you self-published, I recently put out a short story collection called Nein Stories. It's just a bunch of loose short pieces that I wrote that didn't fit anywhere else, so I thought I'd put them together and put it out into the world. I'd love to hear any thoughts or criticisms!

http://matthewbriancohen.com/media/...ORIES-SMALL.pdf

GOOD COVER! Winner!

Intro gets a bit "yes yes get on with it." I'd have cut the first two paras and slimmed the third. The fourth gets into a style that speaks to me - I giggled at "He looked like an extra in a Sonic Youth music video, which at the time I thought was incredibly cool, and honestly, still do." Fifth, cut "I guess the point of this anecdote is that" but the rest is good.

Loved "Our alien owners have left us PS4ís, indie rock albums, and fidget spinners for our amusement." Love the Eiffel Tower story. I'll read the rest.

Is it up on Amazon, the place where anyone pays for stuff?

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

GOOD COVER! Winner!

Intro gets a bit "yes yes get on with it." I'd have cut the first two paras and slimmed the third. The fourth gets into a style that speaks to me - I giggled at "He looked like an extra in a Sonic Youth music video, which at the time I thought was incredibly cool, and honestly, still do." Fifth, cut "I guess the point of this anecdote is that" but the rest is good.

Loved "Our alien owners have left us PS4ís, indie rock albums, and fidget spinners for our amusement." Love the Eiffel Tower story. I'll read the rest.

Is it up on Amazon, the place where anyone pays for stuff?

Thank you! It's not on Amazon - I self-published something on Amazon before, and just didn't like the process, so I figured I'd cut them out and just put up a PDF. I realize this means I have no practical way of making a profit, but I mostly just wanted to get people to read this rather than try to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

HODL!!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Thank you! It's not on Amazon - I self-published something on Amazon before, and just didn't like the process, so I figured I'd cut them out and just put up a PDF. I realize this means I have no practical way of making a profit, but I mostly just wanted to get people to read this rather than try to make money.

I'd do an epub too, for phone friendliness. (Nothing like spending frickin ages in Calibre fiddling with its docx to epub conversion.)

«151 »