Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
press f to pay respects

quote:

We’re excited to announce that CreateSpace (CSP) and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) will become one service. As a reminder, KDP now offers Expanded Distribution to sell your paperbacks to physical bookstores in the US, as well as the ability to sell your paperback books on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com.au (Amazon.mx coming soon). With these features, KDP’s paperback distribution will be on par with CreateSpace’s distribution. KDP also offers features that aren’t available on CreateSpace. These include the ability to purchase ads to promote paperbacks on Amazon.com and locally printed author copies in Europe.

As a result of these enhancements to KDP and our ongoing efforts to provide a more seamless experience for managing your paperback and digital books, CreateSpace and KDP will become one service. On KDP, your paperbacks will still be printed in the same facilities, on the same printers, and by the same people as they were on CreateSpace.

yes but what about the money:

quote:

There are a few payment and printing fee differences associated with the move. Any royalties earned while your books are on CreateSpace will be paid according the CreateSpace's payment schedule, 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. After you move your books to KDP, new royalties earned will be paid on KDP's payment schedule. KDP pays royalties on a monthly basis 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you’ll be paid in October for any royalties earned in September on CreateSpace and be paid in November for any royalties earned on KDP. In addition, some low-page count books will see an increase in printing fees when they are printed in the UK and EU. We've already sent an email to the small number of accounts affected by this change. Learn more about KDP’s printing costs here.

so the move doesn't presently appear to be mandatory, buuut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've sunk a month's worth of writing income into third-party promotions and advertising for a Kindle Countdown deal, which despite what my dashboard says does not appear to have kicked in and still has my box set listed at full price. Cool. Very cool.

edit - OK false alarm... turns out Countdown deals are only eligible for American and UK customers, and I have an Australian account.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 8, 2018

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Createspace was some ancient tech - probably good it's gone away. We do a shocking amount of our business through createspace/kdp.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

n8r posted:

Createspace was some ancient tech - probably good it's gone away. We do a shocking amount of our business through createspace/kdp.

not really, KDP is still Createspace with a concussion.

I bet they're gonna kill the CS forums and the extensive help pages and layout template generators and so forth, even though they're vastly superior to the KDP versions.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Well hello friends, I released a (mostly typo free) set of horror/supernatural shorts two years ago called The Penumbra, which is planned to be an anthologized series of these things.
The first intro story has been free since I first put it online and I recently revamped my site this month as I revised the collection and in preparation for volume 2!

http://thepenumbra.net
(cover work by the forumses own asylum years)

If yall want to do the follow chain thing, I'm https://twitter.com/penumbraben

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

divabot posted:

not really, KDP is still Createspace with a concussion.

I bet they're gonna kill the CS forums and the extensive help pages and layout template generators and so forth, even though they're vastly superior to the KDP versions.

I kinda don't blame Amazon, that little corner of their platform was/is legit ancient. My favorite was the cover creator tool running Java, straight up 2006 tech. I was annoyed when our layout person decided to mash the migrate to KDP button then say I told her to do it. It was right before we released a new book, so that caused some confusion because it took a minute to figure out the new platform.

Createspace / KDP has meant that we barely do any offset printing for new titles. Amazon can buy directly from us, but in the last few years they've been buying our titles from B&T which is both good and bad. The good being sending books to B&T is logistically easier, the bad being when Amazon buys directly from us we get better margins and they pay shipping. If we drop our titles from both B&T and Ingram, Amazon will revert back to buying from us, but then we lose out on other resellers who buy from Ingram/B&T. We have tried that with a few titles, and it seems like about 10-15% of the purchasing from Ingram/B&T goes to people other than Amazon.

When you are small/indy you just have to pick which turd you wanna eat.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It's been a while since I've spent time in this discussion, so forgive me if it's not cool to tout one's services. But if anyone is in need of line editing/copyediting/proofreading, I just had a cancellation for November and can take on a manuscript of any genre and length (though if it's a very large MS, it might take a bit longer than usual because I'm having some medical stuff done at the end of November). Email me at booksidemanner at gmail dot com if you'd like to know more about my rates and the genres I've edited and if you'd like to send a sample edit. Ten percent discount if you mention somethingawful.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
If this is the right thread for posting about stuff you self-published, I recently put out a short story collection called Nein Stories. It's just a bunch of loose short pieces that I wrote that didn't fit anywhere else, so I thought I'd put them together and put it out into the world. I'd love to hear any thoughts or criticisms!

http://matthewbriancohen.com/media/MATTHEWBRIANCOHEN-NEINSTORIES-SMALL.pdf

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

If this is the right thread for posting about stuff you self-published, I recently put out a short story collection called Nein Stories. It's just a bunch of loose short pieces that I wrote that didn't fit anywhere else, so I thought I'd put them together and put it out into the world. I'd love to hear any thoughts or criticisms!

GOOD COVER! Winner!

Intro gets a bit "yes yes get on with it." I'd have cut the first two paras and slimmed the third. The fourth gets into a style that speaks to me - I giggled at "He looked like an extra in a Sonic Youth music video, which at the time I thought was incredibly cool, and honestly, still do." Fifth, cut "I guess the point of this anecdote is that" but the rest is good.

Loved "Our alien owners have left us PS4’s, indie rock albums, and fidget spinners for our amusement." Love the Eiffel Tower story. I'll read the rest.

Is it up on Amazon, the place where anyone pays for stuff?

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

divabot posted:

GOOD COVER! Winner!

Intro gets a bit "yes yes get on with it." I'd have cut the first two paras and slimmed the third. The fourth gets into a style that speaks to me - I giggled at "He looked like an extra in a Sonic Youth music video, which at the time I thought was incredibly cool, and honestly, still do." Fifth, cut "I guess the point of this anecdote is that" but the rest is good.

Loved "Our alien owners have left us PS4’s, indie rock albums, and fidget spinners for our amusement." Love the Eiffel Tower story. I'll read the rest.

Is it up on Amazon, the place where anyone pays for stuff?

Thank you! It's not on Amazon - I self-published something on Amazon before, and just didn't like the process, so I figured I'd cut them out and just put up a PDF. I realize this means I have no practical way of making a profit, but I mostly just wanted to get people to read this rather than try to make money.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Thank you! It's not on Amazon - I self-published something on Amazon before, and just didn't like the process, so I figured I'd cut them out and just put up a PDF. I realize this means I have no practical way of making a profit, but I mostly just wanted to get people to read this rather than try to make money.

I'd do an epub too, for phone friendliness. (Nothing like spending frickin ages in Calibre fiddling with its docx to epub conversion.)

Nickaroni
Feb 16, 2014
So has anyone worked out how exactly Kindle Unlimited calculates pages read and whether it goes off of how far you've flipped into the book or how many virtual pages worth of text actually scrolls across the screen of your Kindle/Kindle app? I've heard both and there seemed to be a good deal of confusion about it last I checked.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The way they calculate it is apparently a secret, but the KENPC count that you can check under "promote and advertise" is accurate as far as cents earned per page goes. (Or fractions of a cent, rather).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

The way they calculate it is apparently a secret, but the KENPC count that you can check under "promote and advertise" is accurate as far as cents earned per page goes. (Or fractions of a cent, rather).

What's the current number like?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

About $0.004 last I checked. Not sure what it used to be. When I first started doing this the KU income was easily 4/5ths of the money I was making (and I was making a lot more overall back then, too). It's still the majority of what I earn, but probably only just.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

About $0.004 last I checked. Not sure what it used to be. When I first started doing this the KU income was easily 4/5ths of the money I was making (and I was making a lot more overall back then, too). It's still the majority of what I earn, but probably only just.

like, as a reader I actually use my KU lots and lots, dredging the bottom of the Kindle barrel, and when I get something good I do make a point of paging through the whole thing a coupla times. So at least now I know how many pennies the author is getting.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

divabot posted:

like, as a reader I actually use my KU lots and lots, dredging the bottom of the Kindle barrel, and when I get something good I do make a point of paging through the whole thing a coupla times. So at least now I know how many pennies the author is getting.

They'll still only get paid for one read. Currently a 50,000 word novel is roughly 250-260 KENPC, so a full read is $1.15 or so.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
I am always surprised by how much a kindle countdown deal can stimulate sales. Even being lazy and not booking any advertising, I saw a
15 sales during my countdown deal, and only 2 in the month prior to that.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Translations! A fan translated my book into French. Nice of them! Native French speakers tell me the translation is OK, and even preserves my marvellous wit.

So if we now sell this thing - what's a reasonable sort of rate for my esteemed translator?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is in need of proofreading, copyediting, or line editing, I just had a cancellation and now have an opening for January 14-31. I edit all genres of fiction.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I really, really enjoyed all of these, especially the one about the wedding ring. Great stuff.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
I can organize coupons for goons, but would anyone be interested in reading my screenplay, and two books?

Just search for "Raj J Putari" on Amazon.com

They're all pretty factual with embellishments, first edition, spelling errors and formatting errors ahoy. I rented out ads on SA but no dice. The screenplay is like Shaolin Soccer, the book on the Illuminati was a recount of my really psychotic days, and I underwent brain trauma in the middle of it. The book on the Secret Service is about the USSS agents I met

If you were to give me constructive, nice criticism what would you say?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Hey,

I made a book from this thread in BYOB and I self published it mostly for fun and without much research, which means everything I could possibly do wrong I most likely did wrong.

How do you serve a ghost? Is it a soup, or a form of creamy cheese spread?
We don't really know, but here are some imaginative serving suggestions for every gourmand out there with a ghost in their refrigerator.

I kinda think my blurb sucks, and I realise from this thread that I should probably redo it. I made a facebook store and I'm thinking to take the steps to publish on amazon.

Anyway, I wanted to ask anyone would want to give me (not too harsh) critique, or tips on future steps. It's been really fun to work on this.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 25, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, a "serving suggestion" is a recommended size, not type. Also the book's title is "To serve Ghost" but your blurb says "serve a ghost"—which is it?

But otherwise the blurb is cute and fun. Based on the title, cover, and blurb my expectations were that it would be more of a (funny) cookbook than (cookbook-themed) cutesy pictorial, however. I think that would do well marketed as a children's book, though, it's cute.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

feedmyleg posted:

Well, a "serving suggestion" is a recommended size, not type.

A serving suggestion is not size in the UK. It's when companies want pictures on their box that aren't realistic or contained in the actual product: fresh strawberries and milk splashing around a bowl of cornflakes. Strawberries and milk not included, so the image is a "serving suggestion".

An image of lasagne on an old oak table, surrounded by garlic bulbs and caprese salad and fresh lettuce, some half-sliced mushrooms and a bottle of red vino? Serving suggestion, because your lovely microwave lasagne won't match up to that, so you avoid lawsuits by acknowledging it's unrealistic."Serving suggestion".

We do also have "Suggested servings: 5" for example but that's different.

quote:

Also the book's title is "To serve Ghost" but your blurb says "serve a ghost"—which is it

I think it's okay as is. "To serve ghost" refers to ghost as an ingredient. How much ghost? Is all the ghost from the same spirit or were they butchered, tossed together, then all minced up? It doesn't matter - it's all 100% ghost.

Whereas having "a" ghost in the refigerator is quite possible if you got it whole (or it is haunting your vegetable crisper).

Think of it like rabbit or pigeon or duck or whatever.

"How to serve duck" works. "if you have a duck in the refrigerator" also works.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey everyone,

I checked the OP and didn't see anything about this topic, but this seems like the best place to ask. Who would you recommend for physically printing and binding a very small (<10) run of books?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Amazon KDP - unless you're looking for really high print quality.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

n8r posted:

Amazon KDP - unless you're looking for really high print quality.

How good is the quality with KDP? How much would a book cost?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Black and white is fine, never seen a color printing. Google KDP print calculator. You're looking at something like $2 for 150 pages iirc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

n8r posted:

Black and white is fine, never seen a color printing. Google KDP print calculator. You're looking at something like $2 for 150 pages iirc.

Yeah I need this to be color. Thanks for the recommendation though.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

KDP will still be cheaper than any game in town. Putting the files up on KDP won't do you much harm. Even if you don't like the product you get, the files you make for KDP will be the same as what you'd send to anyone else.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can you have KDP print something without making it public?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

With createspace you could print something without ever publishing it which was really nice and we used quite a bit. Now it seems that you have to publish it somewhere, but you can just turn on Japan and nowhere else. Once you have it turned on in Japan, you can order copies, then immediately turn it back off. You can order proofs without having the book published, but the covers do have proof printed across the front of it. Even if you end up printing elsewhere, KDP can be a really nice quality check to make sure the layout looks good.

You could also check Ingram Spark maybe? I'm really just familiar with those two options, I'm sure there are lots of short run printers available via google, but I'd be surprised if any of them can touch KDP's pricing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

n8r posted:

You could also check Ingram Spark maybe? I'm really just familiar with those two options, I'm sure there are lots of short run printers available via google, but I'd be surprised if any of them can touch KDP's pricing.

Amazon actually use Ingram Spark for some of their printing I think.

The problem with going direct to Ingram Spark last time I looked was that you had to print 50 copies or get charged a bundle for setup costs.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you have KDP print something without making it public?
Unless you're spending any money on marketing, it's essentially private anyway. Ask anyone here who has published a book they WANT people to read. Just publish for a day and then take it down as soon as you've ordered copies.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

Well, a "serving suggestion" is a recommended size, not type. Also the book's title is "To serve Ghost" but your blurb says "serve a ghost"—which is it?

But otherwise the blurb is cute and fun. Based on the title, cover, and blurb my expectations were that it would be more of a (funny) cookbook than (cookbook-themed) cutesy pictorial, however. I think that would do well marketed as a children's book, though, it's cute.

I totally missed that in the blurb.

Thank you, I'll change that, I agree that the name is a bit misleading I guess, I'll think about what to do about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not that I'd expect the general public to make the same association, but when I saw the title I definitely thought it was going to be a ghost-based riff on "To Serve Man" from The Twilight Zone.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

feedmyleg posted:

Not that I'd expect the general public to make the same association, but when I saw the title I definitely thought it was going to be a ghost-based riff on "To Serve Man" from The Twilight Zone.

That was the joke I was going for, could probably have done more work on getting actual "recipes" in there though.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I just put the finishing touches on my first novella’s rough draft (~40,000 words). What’s the best way to go about finding an editor for this kind of project? I know some people in publishing but they’re more on the 80-90k, wide-release kind of scale. I’m not expecting this book to make any money.

I’m planning to go the Amazon CreateSpace route and pick up some vanity copies, along with some meager sales to friends and family. Right now the book is In LaTeX but I can shuffle it off to Word or PDF as necessary. Does that sound like the right path so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

FreshFeesh posted:

I just put the finishing touches on my first novella’s rough draft (~40,000 words). What’s the best way to go about finding an editor for this kind of project? I know some people in publishing but they’re more on the 80-90k, wide-release kind of scale. I’m not expecting this book to make any money.

I’m planning to go the Amazon CreateSpace route and pick up some vanity copies, along with some meager sales to friends and family. Right now the book is In LaTeX but I can shuffle it off to Word or PDF as necessary. Does that sound like the right path so far?

I tend to furiously hit up my friends as beta readers.

Google Docs is AWESOME for copy-editing. Enable comments. Possibly a different gdoc for each person?

or just link it on your facebook and let yr friends run rampant