Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Leng posted:

But doesn't that screw around with your launch plans? Do you stealth publish it, order author copies, then immediately take the book down until you get them, fix any issues, then put it back up on your planned release date and then do your promos from there?!

I've sold one physical copy in two months since I finally got round to putting the option up. The rest have been downloads or kdp so as long as they're all correct then I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Alright, back with more questions!

Based on new data coming in, it seems like the majority of my target customers buy either from Amazon (in which case they'll most likely order the KDP paperback over the ebook), or direct from the publisher (i.e. me). Reading up on IngramSpark's vaunted "distribution" into actual bookstores seems like it's not that accurate and also not that beneficial (you would have to set royalty at 55% AND allow returns AND they won't ship returns to Australia so the only option for returned stock is destruction ).

HOWEVER, the majority still prefer reading in hardcover.

So right now I'm thinking of ordering small batches of author copies and selling hardcovers directly through my own website. Since it's such a niche audience, I think I'd have more luck selling directly.

Has anyone done something similar? If so, what are you using for the ecommerce side of it (WooCommerce, Shopify, Wix, etc)? I'm looking at Ecwid currently as they have a free plan (https://www.ecwid.com/pricing) which would suit me fine since I won't need anything more complicated.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

ASSISTED-LIVING DRACULA OF WIKIPEDIA

BUTT COIN

Leng posted:

Based on new data coming in, it seems like the majority of my target customers buy either from Amazon (in which case they'll most likely order the KDP paperback over the ebook), or direct from the publisher (i.e. me). Reading up on IngramSpark's vaunted "distribution" into actual bookstores seems like it's not that accurate and also not that beneficial (you would have to set royalty at 55% AND allow returns AND they won't ship returns to Australia so the only option for returned stock is destruction ).

So right now I'm thinking of ordering small batches of author copies and selling hardcovers directly through my own website. Since it's such a niche audience, I think I'd have more luck selling directly.

Has anyone done something similar? If so, what are you using for the ecommerce side of it (WooCommerce, Shopify, Wix, etc)? I'm looking at Ecwid currently as they have a free plan (https://www.ecwid.com/pricing) which would suit me fine since I won't need anything more complicated.

I haven't. I know someone who's done his through Lulu, then linked that on his Amazon page as another version of the same book - he says it sets a price point nicely, even if he doesn't sell many.

However, I understand that KDP are now beta-ing hardcover. Main nuisance is doing yet another version of the cover. No idea when it's on general release.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Leng posted:

Where are you pulling the information about people buying directly from a publisher? I seriously doubt most people even know who the publisher of a particular book is. Having the infrastructure / volume to justify hardcover seems beyond the means of most self pub. You really should just stick with kdp/Ingram (with 55% and returnable).

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

n8r posted:

Where are you pulling the information about people buying directly from a publisher? I seriously doubt most people even know who the publisher of a particular book is. Having the infrastructure / volume to justify hardcover seems beyond the means of most self pub. You really should just stick with kdp/Ingram (with 55% and returnable).

Yeah that's what I initially thought until I went and did some research (direct survey responses and actual observation).

Bilingual books are hard to find and source overseas. Most big name book stores just don't carry them because it's not worth for them as they cater to a primarily English speaking audience. Group buys direct from publisher are a regular occurrence on Facebook groups. When people ask for book recommendations, most give links to Amazon or publisher websites, with an occasional shout out to bloggers who make book lists.

What's your experience been like with 55% and returnable in getting books into stores? My recent lurking in the Ingram community is turning up a lot of stories about how despite having 55% and returnable, authors aren't able to get their books stocked (granted most are talking about Barnes & Noble where apparently there's a corporate policy against stocking POD titles?).

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

The book industry runs on 55% and returnable. If you don’t give that discount I believe they call it a “short” discount. If a bookstore can’t get full discount / ability to return it, why carry it?

The reason most people’s books aren’t stocked is most people’s books suck rear end.

I know nothing about bilingual books. I have dealt with selling English language through kdp/Ingram internationally. For actual foreign rights we just wait to get approached by a publisher and sell them for a flat fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

There’s a lot of a stuff on there other than litRPG. I read one for a while about an older woman who got sent back to her body as a teenager and got a second chance at life with all of her adult experience. It was set just like in high school and had no magic or weapons or other nerd poo poo

I really hope there was no love interest in that story