Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Like Aaronicon, I'm also considering writing mystery and crime fiction. I think I'd like to try something with a humorous bent to it, like the works of Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiaasen. I'm trying to do some research on the market, but I can't even figure out if that's a specific genre. Amazon seems to categorize their books in different--but nearly identical--genres. Can anyone point me towards an understanding of Amazon's categories and how the ranks within them work? I'd love to have a clearer sense of the size of this market before I commit myself.

e: I should add that I've learned a lot of useful stuff about Amazon ranks by reading older posts in this thread, like the relative significance within a category of #100 vs #1,000 vs #10,000. But I still haven't got a good sense of how different categories compare to each other in market size or why books that seem similar to me are in completely different, but similar-sounding, categories.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I use createspace for mystery (fiction, natch) and I'd guess my paperback sales are less than 5% of my total gross.

I still offer paperbacks because my designer and my cover artist offer paperback services for ridiculously cheap, so why not?

Iím working on my first mystery. Are you happy with your editor, designer, and artist? Would you be willing to point me to them?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

What other board?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

For what it's worth, I think you've used the word "fleeting" incorrectly here. It means "lasting only a brief time."

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The meeting with Thomas & Mercer went really well! The Editorial Director there liked our initial idea, and she wants to see what my co-author and I are working on, so we're going to send them the stuff we've both worked on.

I almost can't believe this is happening!

That must be incredibly exciting. Whatís the latest?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It is very exciting!

Yesterday, we sent them a synopsis of the book and the first 7 chapters. They said they'll be able to make a "quick decision" about signing or not. The publishing world is extremely slow, so I'm guessing we'll actually hear something after the holidays.

Regardless of what happens, we still need to have a book to publish, so I'm just trying to keep my head down and continue moving forward with the work. I've been in this game for five years with some mild success, I am so ready to for my big break to come around.

Whatís the latest?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KU should be up, though. Any word on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

Thereís a lot of a stuff on there other than litRPG. I read one for a while about an older woman who got sent back to her body as a teenager and got a second chance at life with all of her adult experience. It was set just like in high school and had no magic or weapons or other nerd poo poo

I really hope there was no love interest in that story