Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I really enjoy writing sci-fi but after four months and 100k words I wanted to kill myself. I couldn't even imagine writing on a topic I didn't enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hey, I've been following this thread for a while and got some real useful advice from it which has come in handy working on my book.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with UK print on demand publishers? I've been looking at Book Printing UK (bookprintinguk.com) and Inky Little Fingers (inkylittlefingers.co.uk) which looks to be quite a bit more expensive but potentially higher quality. Has anyone dealt with either? I just want to run off somewhere between 20 to 50 copies of my book which should satisfy the limited demand that exists for that kind of thing. fwiw it's a black and white choose your own adventure book with a bunch of illustrations, some of which have pretty heavy black coverage.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ravenkult posted:

Why not CreateSpace?

I want to sell a bunch of garbage with the book, like cards, dice and things. I'm pretty happy to hold at least a small stock to sell and it's a niche thing so the market will tap out fast.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Createspace is amazingly cheap but there seem to be a bunch of hooks in the T&Cs relating to pricing and who has the future distribution rights. The vanity printers aren't too expensive anyway, I was mainly worried about print quality and the like.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aaronicon posted:

From a technical point of view, what was the best approach to making a CYOA book? I'd imagine there's a metric fuckload of proofreading making sure the 'Turn To Page X' parts all match up and a playthrough is possible, double-checking that all the right page numbers are for the right choice, poo poo like that. Or is there some kind of automated software for that?

If there's software I was unhappily unaware of it. If it exists I don't think it's likely to be that helpful because you still need to proofread carefully anyway to make sure things line up properly. I assigned a number to every paragraph as I was writing it then used Excel to randomise the order (although since a few paragraphs had to be in a particular place there was some manual messing around as well.

Proofreading took quite a long time but I had a few people help test it out. Because there are a few places the links can go wrong (I assigned a few wrongly in the first drafts and also forgot to change a few once I moved from google docs to the final layout) it's a long and slow process. I was also hyperlinking the document as I went so it could be played as an interactive PDF. That took a long time but actually helped a lot with the proofreading and play tests.

It took about 6 months from beginning to end, of which maybe four months was writing and the rest of the time illustrating, proofing and layout.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

psychopomp posted:

If you write a CYOA using Inklewriter they'll convert it to a kindle file or HTML for $10.

huh, that's a hell of a thing. maybe i'll check it out next time. I enjoyed doing the whole mess with a word processor though

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

thanks for the reminder about backing up work, thread. I had my entire book on a single hard drive and backed it up to dropbox just now

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

For my book I went to the bookstore and looked in my genre, then I took the first half dozen books off the shelf that grabbed my attention and I stole as many design elements as possible from those. It turned out ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

divabot posted:

by all means, if you're self-publishing it!

dodged a bullet there, that guy's work is uh... yeah.

anyway hi thread, I was here a long time ago and the advice ITT really helped with my self-published book Star Bastards. It sold ok! Later on I made another book and it sold even better. Now I'm working on a third one.

Here's the covers I went with for my books just for content: