Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

I think you should post something for critique or join a writers group if you intend to publish. You need to get more eyes on it so it can get massaged into a better product and so you can get better at it. Also you know listen and read a lot about writing and read books in your genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Leng posted:

Will Wight (https://www.willwight.com/) is a very successful self-published author, so much that I think when he went to some writing convention, he stood up and asked Sanderson if there was any value in him switching over to traditional publishing. Wight reeled off some numbers, then Sanderson (and the rest of the panelists) told him he's doing great and that it's probably not worth his while to switch over, because he would end up making LESS. His most recent release (Bloodline, Book 9 in the Cradle series) hit the NYT bestseller list. Wight earns enough to hire and pay for his own team (there's at least a part time business manager on board, don't know to what extent his other staff are employed as).

It's also very much a numbers (and catering to your audience) game. If you have enough books on back catalogue and you're releasing consistently and frequently, you should be able to build a steady income stream over time.

But building that audience is tough, because you have to keep putting out other forms of content that AREN'T books (which then eat into your time to get the next book done). I'm so behind on my second book right now that I decided to try a desperate tactic: I went and live streamed me doing the illustrations for 2-3 hours because that would a) force me to work on the book, b) qualify as putting out "content" that doesn't take time away from working on the next book, and c) experiment to see if this would be a thing people would be interested in.

I was expecting zero views so ended up being surprised that I actually had some viewers. I might experiment with consistently streaming until I finish illustrating the book just to see what happens.

If only it hadnít been near midnight in my local time zone I would have been on it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Oh that is interesting can you talk about your decision to go on kindle unlimited?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Well, maybe it needs more stickers?

In other news I started posting my web serial on royal road and itís been an experience.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

Have a look and see if my multiple rounds of edits have made it any good! 3 chapters are up and Iíve started queuing up a week ahead.

I think that doing review swaps has helped a bunch but thatís a whole thing on its own and I hope to have a bigger picture in a month.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

White Chocolate posted:

Well, maybe it needs more stickers?

In other news I started posting my web serial on royal road and itís been an experience.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

Have a look and see if my multiple rounds of edits have made it any good! 3 chapters are up and Iíve started queuing up a week ahead.

I think that doing review swaps has helped a bunch but thatís a whole thing on its own and I hope to have a bigger picture in a month.

Dropped from 34,000th to like 3,860 after two weeks of consistency, so itís not very difficult to get up there, but I think thereís some strategy to it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

I used the epub generator that you get from royal road premium andÖ itís not terrible??? My book isnít done but for five dollars a month you can get it just put into the right format easily. Anyone that wants to see the result, Iíll gladly send it to you.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Thatís awesome. When I order my author copies Iíll make sure to show the results.

My question is, what kind of awards merit recognition as a self-published author? Winning a watty? NY times bestsellers? #1 on their genre on amazon?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

After like three books on self publishing, one do you have a social media presence and two do you have a mailing list, those seem to be the key beyond word of mouth. That's the regular old fiction or non-fiction book rec.

Since this is also a gaming supplement, I assume it's also fighting for space with other possible games that people would play. The last three games that were TTRPGS that I picked up to play were in this order, and reason.

Blades in the dark- heard great things about thw system and it didn't dissapoint

Honey Heist - was a comment in dungeons and daddies or TAZ that caught my notice.

PBTA- I was only interested because of friends at the table and the desire to play this or band of blades, couldn't get a group going

So my advice is to get this into the hands of .ore people who want to play it and can review it, and/or do some live plays and get some buzz with it.

Think about why you picked up a certain game or supplement and take that to its logical conclusion . I picked honey heist because the rules were one page and my time was short. I picked blades because I wanted to see how it worked.

People don't just play alone, they play with groups. And often it's the one person bringing in the game and explaining the rules. I have been that person frequenly.

David Gaughan has a good series of books about mailing lists and the nuts and bolts of self pub. Much of that is about finding your ideal audience. Think about your ideal audience and where they hang out online(this is why I joined the progression fantasy subreddit and discord).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Also just re-read your post and I hope that you're already making a follow on supplement book for your main audience(people who had already bought in) and I hope you converted everyone on your Kickstarter list over or gave them an opt out for your newsletter. Nothing sells a book more than it's sequels. Leng can tell you that series do a lot better generally than standalones.