Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I think you should post something for critique or join a writers group if you intend to publish. You need to get more eyes on it so it can get massaged into a better product and so you can get better at it. Also you know listen and read a lot about writing and read books in your genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Leng posted:

Will Wight (https://www.willwight.com/) is a very successful self-published author, so much that I think when he went to some writing convention, he stood up and asked Sanderson if there was any value in him switching over to traditional publishing. Wight reeled off some numbers, then Sanderson (and the rest of the panelists) told him he's doing great and that it's probably not worth his while to switch over, because he would end up making LESS. His most recent release (Bloodline, Book 9 in the Cradle series) hit the NYT bestseller list. Wight earns enough to hire and pay for his own team (there's at least a part time business manager on board, don't know to what extent his other staff are employed as).

It's also very much a numbers (and catering to your audience) game. If you have enough books on back catalogue and you're releasing consistently and frequently, you should be able to build a steady income stream over time.

But building that audience is tough, because you have to keep putting out other forms of content that AREN'T books (which then eat into your time to get the next book done). I'm so behind on my second book right now that I decided to try a desperate tactic: I went and live streamed me doing the illustrations for 2-3 hours because that would a) force me to work on the book, b) qualify as putting out "content" that doesn't take time away from working on the next book, and c) experiment to see if this would be a thing people would be interested in.

I was expecting zero views so ended up being surprised that I actually had some viewers. I might experiment with consistently streaming until I finish illustrating the book just to see what happens.

If only it hadn’t been near midnight in my local time zone I would have been on it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Oh that is interesting can you talk about your decision to go on kindle unlimited?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well, maybe it needs more stickers?

In other news I started posting my web serial on royal road and it’s been an experience.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

Have a look and see if my multiple rounds of edits have made it any good! 3 chapters are up and I’ve started queuing up a week ahead.

I think that doing review swaps has helped a bunch but that’s a whole thing on its own and I hope to have a bigger picture in a month.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

White Chocolate posted:

Well, maybe it needs more stickers?

In other news I started posting my web serial on royal road and it’s been an experience.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46687/red-mist

Have a look and see if my multiple rounds of edits have made it any good! 3 chapters are up and I’ve started queuing up a week ahead.

I think that doing review swaps has helped a bunch but that’s a whole thing on its own and I hope to have a bigger picture in a month.

Dropped from 34,000th to like 3,860 after two weeks of consistency, so it’s not very difficult to get up there, but I think there’s some strategy to it.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I used the epub generator that you get from royal road premium and… it’s not terrible??? My book isn’t done but for five dollars a month you can get it just put into the right format easily. Anyone that wants to see the result, I’ll gladly send it to you.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
That’s awesome. When I order my author copies I’ll make sure to show the results.

My question is, what kind of awards merit recognition as a self-published author? Winning a watty? NY times bestsellers? #1 on their genre on amazon?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
After like three books on self publishing, one do you have a social media presence and two do you have a mailing list, those seem to be the key beyond word of mouth. That's the regular old fiction or non-fiction book rec.

Since this is also a gaming supplement, I assume it's also fighting for space with other possible games that people would play. The last three games that were TTRPGS that I picked up to play were in this order, and reason.

Blades in the dark- heard great things about thw system and it didn't dissapoint

Honey Heist - was a comment in dungeons and daddies or TAZ that caught my notice.

PBTA- I was only interested because of friends at the table and the desire to play this or band of blades, couldn't get a group going

So my advice is to get this into the hands of .ore people who want to play it and can review it, and/or do some live plays and get some buzz with it.

Think about why you picked up a certain game or supplement and take that to its logical conclusion . I picked honey heist because the rules were one page and my time was short. I picked blades because I wanted to see how it worked.

People don't just play alone, they play with groups. And often it's the one person bringing in the game and explaining the rules. I have been that person frequenly.

David Gaughan has a good series of books about mailing lists and the nuts and bolts of self pub. Much of that is about finding your ideal audience. Think about your ideal audience and where they hang out online(this is why I joined the progression fantasy subreddit and discord).

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Also just re-read your post and I hope that you're already making a follow on supplement book for your main audience(people who had already bought in) and I hope you converted everyone on your Kickstarter list over or gave them an opt out for your newsletter. Nothing sells a book more than it's sequels. Leng can tell you that series do a lot better generally than standalones.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

divabot posted:

Started on another book, yay! Readers are excited to see what we come up with!

Note I said "we" there. That's cos I'm co-authoring this one - a friend started on this idea last year, abandoned it, and I suggested we collaborate. Going pretty well so far, we should have a good one by the time it's done!

So I finally looked up how Kindle handles collaborative works, and ... it doesn't. One author publishes the book and gets the money, the other relies on them sending the money.

(Sort of annoying cos Amazon do handle the split between author and narrator for Audible audiobooks.)

Has anyone here dealt with this in practice? How did you work it out?

The other thing is that the other author is in the US and I'm in the UK. Amazon payouts to either country go fine, but moving money from one country to the other is costly. Gah.

My instinct here is to say(as a small imprint self pub) that there should be some in between corporate asset or one of you should just pay the other for their work at a set rate.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Leng posted:

The Courtney Project has just started doing a new series of videos on YouTube doing cover critiques:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB34V4p66c4

It is very good stuff and super timely for me, because I recently got my draft cover from Damonza and I literally had no idea how to critique it.

I mean, it is a good cover because Damonza know their stuff but I keep feeling like I should have a critique of some sort?

Meanwhile I have an artist but he wants $1,000 for the cover.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

LionArcher posted:

Unless we're talking like sci fi epic hand drawn poo poo, that's too much. Especially if you don't have a pen name with a ton of readers yet. A good pre made (there's plenty out there) for first or second or third books, and spend the extra money on editing.

Don't pay for advertising till book three or so either, at this point, and depending on genre.

Yeah it's military science fiction. I may spend a good chunk of change on the editing but no advertising budget yet. Maybe a book bub.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

ravenkult posted:

Let us see!

https://www.deviantart.com/alexiuss/gallery/all

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Ccs posted:

In my opinion, as someone who commissioned a book cover and who also works in the cg industry, this person does not yet have the skill level to charge those prices. For them it might make sense depending on how long it takes them. A contradiction among illustrators is the really pro ones have also gotten really fast, so they can charge $70 an hour but put out a book cover in 12 hours that will look light years better than an artist charging a smaller hourly amount but for whom it takes 40 hours to come up with something half decent.

Yeah I think the difference here is that he has cornered his market. (Web serials, royal road) thus he can charge what he wants.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Alright can someone break this merger down barney style for me?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So I this is pretty USA specific but I am between getting 10 ISBNs for 275$...or 100 for $595. I am pretty certain that I will need more than ten but this has stopped me publishing my novella.

Balls. Canadians have it so good.

I guess I should stick with the ten though.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I'll post my marketing plan here but first.. getting a po box to establish my self pub business. Oh boy it's work.

ANYWAY. Here is what I am doing for my debut novel - mil scifi. Marketing strategy for "The Badger Company"

High level
Strategy 1: Get more KU readers to read my military scifi book
Strategy 2: Get bobiverse readers to read
Strategy 3: get progression fantasy readers to read and rec
S4: reviews!

Lowest level
Tactics 1.1: spend enough time to get on silver pens(royal road top author discord) and make a network...and a following slash author platform accordingto david gaughrans boom following...
1.2: start exchanging shout outs to similar fictions and build up goodwill and favors
1.3: write a fiction that can move a lot of readers(fictions followers and views)- Sect Leader- so I can accomplish 1.1 and 1.2 at this writing sect leader was a smash hit as much as I could make it.
1.4: For everyone that I have shouted out, ask them for a shout out for BC on or around launch date(sept 5th) there will probably be an ensuing spreadsheet(I track this through discord PMs). This will probably be the biggest factor I can leverage myself. Also this would be nods from other authors newsletters.

2.1: Target the bobiverse Facebook group and the subreddit. Getting recommendations there would multiply any results.
2.2: For FB? Be active. Like and comment on posts that are fun. (DON'T AD SPEND, until book 3) The goal here is to get someone to rec BC into the group on our behalf.
2.3: For reddit, speak with mods about self recommendations. Are there mods? Not a lot of posts there.
2.4: The absolute highest thing here qould be getting someone to recommend this book to daniel greene. Do I need to consider joining his discord again? Has someone else in booktube also loved bobiverse?

3.1: two spots for prog fantasy people- their subreddit and the discord server.
3.2: some self posting is allowed there, so when it drops get someone to rec it there, and attempt to get as many as possible to get the word out.
3.3: when someone asks, I just finished cradle what's next? The goal is to have someone say the badger company series.

4.1 get people to commit to review the book ahead of time. Remind them.
Remind them that they can have the review ready to post. Remind them that amazon doesn't care about collusion the way RR does. Many people have committed to this. It's all in the follow up.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Sailor Viy posted:

I really like seeing people's marketing plans.

A bit of hopefully constructive feedback. Your novel is mil sci-fi, Cradle is an anime kung fu novel. Are you sure that the audience for one is going to overlap significantly with the other?

100% the bobiverse series is a progression fantasy as its core and my closest comparable author is Dennis E. Taylor. Cradle is also a kindle unlimited series and it is the classic example of the new genre of prog fantasy its often brought up as a comparable series.

Also the audience is pretty big for Cradle... and I'm not going to move anywhere near Will Wights numbers. The man makes like 60k plus each time he launches a book. The dream would be to have my novel as an amazon also bought for unsouled, expeditionary force or we are legion we are bob.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Well my novel is finally up out in the world. After so many delays, it's g2g.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BD6V44V4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1662460971&refinements=p_27%3AJP+Weaver&s=digital-text&sr=1-1&text=JP+Weaver

And it's on Kindle Unlimited, because military scifi. Now to find a narrator...

Blurb... and The cover art makes me so happy.
If I die, you’d better come back and avenge me, you goddamn ghost in the machine."
Malcolm Parker was poised to make history as the habitation engineer who made his country's colonization initiatives possible—until a stealth missile strike destroyed the U.S. moon base. All that’s left of him is his A.I. clone, who must carry on both his fantasy tabletop campaign and the original mission: find and secure the closest habitable system.
Trapped inside a space probe with a computer for a brain and other AIs for company, Malcolm and his crew face hostile spacecraft alone. The same assailants in pursuit or an opportunistic third party—either way they seem intent on wiping out the last remnants of America’s space program. Artificial intelligence isn't recognized as people under U.S. law, so as far as the top brass in the U.S. military is concerned, the crew is on their own.
Or are they?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I know a very good cover artist that does anime style and they're quoting like $100 a cover.

https://twitter.com/FuyuDust?t=Fsq_z-cGeyn_afjy8c942Q&s=09

Twitter is fuyudust and they're active on discord.

This is my book and the cover was $600. Well worth

The Badger Company

Phylodox did the other cover and he is active on the forums:
Riverfolk Volume One
That wasn't as expensive by a long shot.

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 2, 2022

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So I did a book barbarian promo and it was a pretty small spike. I am guessing the equivalent of selling ~8 books with KENP combined with ebook sales. I wouldn't say that I have an opinion on it either way, but next I'll be trying some Facebook ads

The book barbarian ad was $60. I am going to try a run of Facebook ads.

https://davidgaughran.com/email-archive/
Is where I am going to try to learn his method for FB ads.

I did a week long promotional drop from 5.99 to 2.99 as a part of it. Also Germans love my book for some reason?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

jazzyjay posted:

Has anyone had any success using a third party marketer to promote their books? I have a trilogy that was published three years ago that was well received, thanks to the advice from this thread (thanks!)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753KKR7B

I havent done anything to market them in the last two years or so, and dont have the time for writing or promo since I'm working full time at my day job - so I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to hire a marketing team to do the promo for me. I've checked fivrr etc and cant tell the wheat from the chaff - or even if it is worth doing in the first place. :shrug:

I'd highly suggest taking David Gaugrhans free course "Starting from zero" and doing bookbub and some other stuff he recommends instead.
https://davidgaughran.com/.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

jazzyjay posted:

I'd love to but unfortunately/fortunately I'm running a business while studying as well already :/

This is what I'm talking about - I figure it'll be a loss for a while then maybe return? Just trying to find someone who isnt a total flimflam artist is the problem. It just seems to be a waste having the novels sitting there with no effective promo especially since it seems that post apoc is cool again thanks to Last of Us.

Thank you! No, I havent got them in print form but I really should. I wasnt happy with any of the print options when I was publishing (2015-2018).

Its almost like I'm looking for some sort of person who publishes things in a traditional way...

The course really isn't that long and you would really really benefit from it as a self publisher.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Captain Log posted:

God, reading about this AI stuff is both depressing and discouraging.

But, I'm going to keep writing everyday and just see what happens. :derptiel:
-----------------
Anyways, I've got a very general couple of questions to ask in an effort to help guide me a bit more intelligently -

I'm approaching the halfway point in turning a rough draft into a first draft. I hate the process, compared to writing fresh stuff. But it's coming along. I was expecting to slash a lot more from the first draft. But it's weighing in at 175k words, and so far I'm finding it to be decently paced. It has been read by one person, who is published, and they don't think it needs to be significantly chopped down. Hell, they told me they want more from the characters. However, I understand one person who knows me isn't exactly a neutral source of criticism.

Which has led me to believe I should turn it into two or three novels in a series.

- Easy Question Number One - At 175k words, I know a real editor will be able to shave it down by some amount. Regardless of the prospect, would a first time author do better with three 50k word novels in a series, or a two novels coming in closer to 70-80k words?

- Harder Question Number Two - Bear with me on this one, it's hard for me to state concisely. I've taken to heart the advice in this thread, especially about knowing your market. I call what I'm writing, "Lower Case H Horror." It's not meant to hold a scare every ten pages, with a lot more focus on characters while saving the monsters for bigger conflicts. It's closer in spirit to Stephen King than Clive Barker.

That said, my monsters are also not easily categorized. If I had to put their description in a sentence, it would be, "Corpses of men ranging from a week to multiple centuries old, warped into shambling tree monsters that protect the balance of nature." But I've been told they fall closer to the category of "cryptids", which I thought applied to Bigfoot and Sea Monsters.

When your work doesn't easily slot into one category, what do you find to be the best practice? Pick one, and make it fit with a sledgehammer? Or just get a finished product, then worry about genre?

Q1- I generally would stick with the genre conventions. If the genre allows novels of that length then do it, especially if there are clear end and beginning points.
However a series is always best. 2-3 books works more for an author. I just read I.S. Belles horror book "Baby love" which was short but sweet and it lead into a separate book which was like 3-4 times as long

Q2- sounds like cryptids. Best to find a similar author in the same vein. Who is a contemporary author who you write like? How long are their books? Amazon has hundreds of subgenres that you can use to refine what you're making.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

SimonChris posted:

I am getting tired of spending years submitting stories to magazines that take three months to reply and then making, like, 20 bucks when they finally sell. Given the time I spend researching markets, etc., it will be hard to make less money per hour, so I would like to give self-publishing a chance.

I have enough stories for a collection, but I understand that it is also feasible to publish individual short stories as e-books. Should I go with the collection or would it be better to publish the individual stories gradually? Can you combine the options and have the same stories available both individually and as part of the collection? If so, is it possible to do a Steam Bundle kind of thing where people who own individual stories can complete the collection at a discount?

Also, several of these stories are available for free at various online markets. Can I still get away with selling them on Amazon, or will people get mad if they find out? Maybe I will add some commentary and call it a special edition...

As someone who just read a 49 page self published book called "Moist Actually" you can always make them cost like 99 cents and put them on KU.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

SimonChris posted:

Thank you for all of the feedback. This is extremely useful!

How is this for a cover:

The story in question is only about 4k words, which I worry might be a bit on the short side. I have three short stories about weird animals that add up to about 7k words, so I was thinking about doing a little themed mini-collection and selling it at short story price. What word counts are typical for short stories and collections?

I would buy this instantly and I follow most of Her advice.

Also she made me read "Moist Actually" so I may be biased.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
There's a thing about Amazon where if you have five days of consistent sales then they come in and advertise it for you. They "take over" to sell more hotcakes as it were.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

SimonChris posted:

So far my short stories have sold two copies, not including myself and personal friends, and have 2 KENP read on KU. I wasn't expecting to make bank from short fiction, but it would be nice if I could sell a few dozen copies, maybe.

I suppose I should do some promotion, but how? I've signed up for KDP Select, but I don't know if any of these promotional options are worth it. Should I do a free giveaway, a countdown deal, run ads, give out copies to reviewers, or what? What do people here usually do to promote their e-books?

Anyway, this mini-collection is mostly a trial balloon, so I can get this process down before publishing a full-length collection later. I am not expecting huge success, but I would like to learn.

Bookbub it if you're doing at least a 2-3 book long series.(after book 2 is out)

If not does it fit into the character of Wattpad,Scribble hub or Royal Road so you can build up a fan base?

If you want to understand(the bookbub rec) why then...take the course.
https://courses.davidgaughran.com/courses/starting-from-zero

Leng did a video about his work(yes our Leng), if you want to do the absolute bare minimum research.
https://youtu.be/sGyrO42tgTo

Dream Weaver fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Fat Jesus posted:

it's a puzzle that people buy books by their covers

I feel like I need to beat this horse a little more but people buy books because they like the authors previous work is the sense I get. That and the author has built a following.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Selkie Myth posted:

Oh hey! Just found this thread, I also self publish!

This guy. Sheesh. Write more Elaine k thx.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

I've been meaning to ask for a while, but the recent activity in the SPFBO-sphere brought it back to mind.

Is there a good round-up of contests/competitions/etc that we, as self-pubbies, would benefit from being aware of? Between google going to poo poo, the preponderance of predatory vanity scams and my own lack of native proclivity to compete, I've been unable to amass anything satisfactory on my own.

Having missed SPFBO this year by... not being aware of it and with my book languishing in the "no-one knows I exist" void while I work on the second, I'm becoming acutely aware of this blindspot in my preparations.

Of course, with all the AI bullshit maybe I've missed the boat entirely as they'll all be stuffed full of machine-garbage seconds after submission open from now on. :smith:

Well of course there is always the thunder dome and the annual Prestigious Leng Self Publishing Contest for YA adjacent fiction. You can't count those out. Also the stabbys?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Are there any discords or Facebook groups or the like where LitRPG authors hang out?

We generally have discord groups. At least all the ones I have met are on some of those.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

My goon, you are not alone. I can't think of a single author I know who doesn't miss also boughts!

What!? When!!!! Omg omg.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm curious about how hardcovers are received by readers these days? Are they still popular outside of the brick and mortar, trad pub "hardcover first then paperback" context? I feel like my knowledge is super out of date on them. Then there's dust jackets. Apparently KDP doesn't have them? The cover is just laminated to the board? I'm probably dating myself something fierce, but that seems really... cheap, to me.
I guess what I'm asking is do self-pub books sell hardcovers, and do they offer the traditional dust jacket or laminated style? (I'm sure it's genre dependent too.)

Also, is a small self-congratulating cheer acceptable? I achieved a milestone in my brief career as an author that I thought would be years in the coming... if ever.
I received a very nice email from a fan informing me that my book was their favorite read of 2023, and included fan art of their favorite character. I have officially "made it" and can die happy. :cloudnine:

Congratulations.

If I helps, I plan to do a hardcover Kickstarter when I finish my Sci-fi series.

Otherwise it's just low margins.

Also I finished another book woot. 96k words fantasy Xianxia. First draft, then it'll go on Royal road after the beta readers have a crack at it and I have the next 20 chapters done for Patreon et all.

Blurb below 👇 and obviously if anyone wants to beta read.
---

These young masters need therapy badly.

Joseph Pidge, therapist and father of two girls, finds himself in a fantasy world where martial power and prowess is the highest calling and no one has ever heard of the word 'introspection'. Fortunately, that is exactly his speciality. With a new system and a new world, he has the opportunity to start fresh. But will anyone recognize that they need his help instead of continually punching each other?

To add to his problems, many influential groups see him as a resource to be tapped and will go to great lengths to get him. Joe has had enough of pushy salesmen in his past life. If he can evade aggressive Sect recruiters, perhaps he can gentle parent his way to a better life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

So a hardcover would be more for prestige/serious fans and really not for any profit potential? Ok. I think I can wrap my head around that.

Thank you and congrats right back, on finishing your book!

My biggest critique would be that this is missing information/motivation. Perhaps it's obvious to a Xianxia fan, but why do the young masters need therapy? If it's the usual "dear god, they're a hot mess" reason, I'd like a hint of that. If it's because they're leaving potential gainz on the table by overlooking it, I'd like that hint.
Also, the blurb makes it sound like the protagonist isn't too torn up about leaving his two girls behind. What's his emotional state, what's going through his head when the truth hits?
In the second paragraph, if you establish why therapy is the new hotness in DragonBall World, that would help to explain why the influential groups are trying to tap him. (lol) I feel like the last sentence is really, well it sort of lets the potential energy drain out of the piece.

This guy got isekai'd to Martial Arts Land, will he be throwing punches and focusing his chi at all? Does his introspective powers make him better/faster at cultivating than the locals who've been doing it their whole lives? There's no sense of that in the blurb, but also no clear sense that he will, instead, be running from couch to couch in order to ask Flying Dragon Fist #5 "but how does that make you feel?"
I don't mean to be super harsh, suggesting that I think it sucks or whatever. There's a nugget there, I'm feeling it and I can tell there's a twist I've not seen before. I just want to feel it more and also get a few more tantalizing glimpses at the stakes and the cool poo poo to sink that hook in my interest.

I mean the main twist is when his ex wife is also Ise-kaied for the sect that is trying to "recruit him" and he has the realization that both his daughters parents are not there, also they summon people to be used as fodder for their own growth sooo. But yeah I see what you are saying I'm trying to convey the "dad is far from his daughters and all that entails".