Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I have a sizable collection of shorts and bundles. I moved cross country, changed day jobs and fell off the wagon for about a year. Coming back to it now and reading this thread that everything needs a compete makeover. Is it worth the time and effort to redo ~80 covers and blurbs for shorts (most older than 6months, or should I just let them sit, change pen names and relaunch a new author name? I don't think it will be too hard to redo the covers as we are mostly keeping the image the same but redoing the text into something that isn't atrocious, but for shorts that already sell okay I don't know how to judge the cost/benefit. Im already dreading fixing the back ends on the manuscripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
That's a lot to consider. Looks like my time will be better spent reading more about promotions. It's really hitting home how badly we were lacking in advertising, more so now that my partner and I are looking to publish more serious works. Thanks!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Yeah we have several types of bundles. Random collections of 3 called samplers, Genre bundles, trilogy bundles and megabundles which are just three theme bundles. I'm thinking now we might just revamp a selection of the titles that sell and offer up some "best of/criterion" collections. I worry though about having stinkers mixed in with the sellers, more so if cover quality is variable.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Does anyone else find the irony staggering that people buy a short story and then leave a review complaining that it was "too short" when the word count is literally right in the blurb along with the page count. You are buying something to read but you can't read the blurb? :psyduck:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Roar posted:

Amazon has the estimated page length which gives people a rough estimate of what kind of experience they're expecting.

I get what you're saying but leaving a "it's too short" 1-star review on a short story is petty.

It's odd too because our page counts seem to be much lower than equivalent size shorts and we only have one extra page at the end, which is why we advertise word count to be upfront about the length. Maybe I should do the old school trick and nudge the margins over, use 13pt font and double space the whole thing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
And they refunded it too. Welp, thanks a lot buddy.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"Now Kiss" *furiously mashes two wigs together*

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Taken by the Chains of Markov.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Finger Wagon posted:

Is this an idea for a title? Is it a reaction to our discussion? I've been trying to figure it out for a while and I'm still not sure.

I meant it more as, if you can have an AI determine marketability than why not just have the robot churn out the content of the book itself, hence a robot romance novel.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Some interesting KDP nonsense. Mailing list person emails us talking about how he or she can't find the first two volumes of one of our book series. That's odd, we think. Check KDP and no big Banned marker. Links to the book page through KDP work and I can download hem through KU just fine. Go into the search bar and nothing. Book 3 is there, 1 and 2 are gone. Look under the author page, not listed. Author central also doesn't see the book. Emailed KDP and got a "we're looking into it, more later."

Anyone else get a book shadowbanned?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Bardeh posted:

Assuming a 0.0049 rate:

Plus around $500 from D2D and Google, makes July my best month ever. Turns out the summer slump doesn't matter as much if you just keep on publishing. :getin:

What are the average length to your stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Did anyone else just get one 1099 from amazon this year? I normally get a pile of them.

Lumped ours together too. I didn't even notice it until I looked at the bottom of the list and saw the 2016 label on it.