Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
This thread has motivated me to start writing again. Thanks goons! I've done 40k this past week. That's more than I've done in two years.

Bardeh posted:

If anyone wants to do some sort of accountability partnership thing with me (we add each other on Skype or whatever and just have a brief chat each day to tell the other person what we've done) that might help. PM me if you're interested. We could also do edit swaps or beta reads, things like that - something that's 'work' that'll get me to sit down and get into that mindset.

PM sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Today is the best day Ive had in a looooooooooooooooooong time. Thanks to my free book, yo.

:hfive: Same. Except on BN.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Who else said they were going to write 1,000,000+ in 2016?

Ha...haha....ha... :suicide:

Fuego Fish posted:

"Better" comes later, I'm not even a month in yet and it takes at least eight weeks for the positive effects to start presenting themselves. But just knowing that I've got something for it now is a good thing.

Good luck with your recovery. I'm on the tail end of a medication journey. It gets better, but it can be a slow process for some people.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
You can berate me all you want ;)

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Emailed you!

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

RedTonic posted:

A celebratory post: 108 ARC list sign-ups on a brand new, non-romance/erotica penname. :yayclod:

Congrats!

Does anyone have any experience publishing "literary" fiction through KDP? I'm trying to decide between self-pub/trad pub/kindle scout for something I'm working on, but I suppose I should finish the drat thing before I worry about publication.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

Bardeh posted:

Is it just me, or is this month seriously sucking rear end on Amazon?

You are not alone.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Has anyone tried to self-publish a "literary fiction" novel and had it do well? Is self-publishing something that isn't genre a fool's errand? Should I try to get my novel traditionally published?

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Thanks for the encouragement! I don't need the money because I still have smuhbux rolling in. Writing something personal seemed like the best way to break up the monotony of tab a into slot b.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Hopefully it's still alright to post blurbs. I'm not sure about the "dervishes" part or much else. Help is greatly appreciated!

quote:

Haunted by the private demons of psychosis, twenty-nine year old Zach is isolated from the world outside the hospital. With the help of a anxious, self-mutilating girl named Emma, he embarks on a hitchhiking trip to escape the ennui of contemporary life. As Zach and Emma get closer, they end up revealing their quirks and dangerous idiosyncrasies to one another.

Will the pair be able to find some way to connect, or will they be lost in the whirlwind of their own personal dervishes?
Here is the cover:
http://i.imgur.com/K58fWQV.jpg

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Just published a cyberpunk/mystery novella. First in the series. Anyone know any paid newsletters that are good for scifi?

quote:

In the wired future, how can someone just…disappear?

Glitch, a retired cybercriminal, wants to stay hidden, but when her neighbor knocks on her door, her whole life changes.

A missing girl is on a long list of things that are not Glitch’s problem, but the curious case dredges up fears hidden in Glitch’s shadowy past.

Alphaville has a habit of sucking the life out of the innocent, and there is only so much time to spare.

https://www.amazon.com/neon-echo-Seth-Ross-ebook/dp/B06XQYQFB6/

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

Thanks!

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

divabot posted:

Did anyone here use Pronoun as an ebook distributor? They're shutting down.

(I found out when Draft2Digital emailed apologising for delay in answering support tickets 'cos they just got flooded with Pronoun refugees.)

Why is Pronoun shutting down? They forgot the bit where you're supposed to have a business model, and their tempting offer of FREE distribution left them with no actual, ah, income.

I have hundreds of forbidden genre books now in limbo. I should have seen the shutdown coming. Welp.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

Bardeh posted:

Can't you just put them all up on D2D/Smashwords? I have to admit that I never even knew about Pronoun, but I have dozens of naughty books still up on those two sites.

Eh I could but I’ve decided to throw them back on Amazon at least for the next season or so.

D2d never was able to sell outside of BN for me(with massive amounts of keyword stuffing). I appreciate the advice though.

Hopefully y’all are all prepared for kindlemas!

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops

ravenkult posted:

Long time no see, selfpub thread.

I'm still making covers and I'm currently running an indiegogo campaign where I'm doing a cover a day and licensing them for use. Drop by and grab a deal: https://igg.me/at/30bookcovers

On the writerly front, would a genre short story collection be a good candidate for self publishing?

I buy my covers exclusively from Ravenkult for all my vanity projects and all my genre work. He is V good and cool.

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
Was accepted for an International Bookbub this week on a literary fiction pen-name. Ordered some promo around the date with BargainBooksy and ENT and a preliminary order from book-rank. Is there anything else I should be doing to maximize sell-through? The BB promo book will have a blurb in the back with my new release then some back-matter for my other books.

I don't know what else to do other than dump some ams/fb ads on the book and see how high I can push the book.

This is my current catalogue: https://www.amazon.com/d.c.s.-ross/e/B076QJR7LF/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkfoot
Jul 21, 2007
Whoops
My bookbub is a massive failure so far. Anyone else have a bad experience with them?

Only registered members can see post attachments!