Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Reminds me of when I sent one of my suspense novels to my step-grandmother. As soon as it was mailed off, I thought to myself, "I probably shouldn't have used the word 'cocksucker.'" If she was offended, she didn't mention it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

angel opportunity posted:

One thing I am doing for next release is hiring an editor. It's really hard to catch certain mistakes no matter how many times I read through, and adding days of extra proofreading time to my release schedule is days I could have been writing instead.

I've edited several goon manuscripts, and if you're interested, reach out to me at booksidemanner at gmail dot com. Rates are reasonable and turn-around time is good.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Got a BookBub for next month. Yes! Merry Christmas to me!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I am ready for Kindlemas! Have free promos booked with BookBub, ENT, Booksends, and OHFB, and 99-cent ones with KBT.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I do.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I went ahead and did a "doing business as" for my "publisher" to be on the safe side. I think that cost $50 and entailed filling out a form and putting a classified in my local paper. I'm in California; don't know if this process varies much by state.

I also went ahead and had a logo done for my publisher, but that was a want, not a need.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
More work for editors! *rubs hands together gleefully*

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
All yoga pants, all the time. I love being self-employed.

I wore sandals with a heel tonight for dinner, and my feet don't know what to do - they're so used to being in sneakers all the time.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm thinking of making book 1 in my two-book suspense series permafree. Should I just wait for Amazon to price-match? If they're being slow about it and I send them an email, should I tell them that it's going to be permanent or should I just say it's for a promo and never change it back to the original price?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Oh, I know how (I've done free promos before). I'm just wondering if they'd be reluctant to match it permanently, and if so, how do I get around that.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I used Lulu waaaaaayyyyy back when. You can get hardcover editions, which is nice if you don't want to publish but want to give something to your family.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

The OP information is kind of old at this point. Things move quickly in self-pub. No idea who's still active and who isn't among the resource lists.

https://booksidemanner.com (editor is yours truly, aka Kelly) is active for proofreading, copyediting, and line editing. Slots are available in early August.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Bardeh posted:

$45 isn't bad for the quality of cover you get, assuming you find one that does actually work for you. It's just that I could spend a little more and get something customized, so I would never have a reason to sift through the massive piles of crap on there.

I've gotten both remade and custom covers from GoOnWrite and have been very happy with all of them.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've been kind of light on the promotions this year, as I'm saving up for a big push in December/January. What venues are goons having success with these days? I'm not in KU, if that helps narrow it down.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Every once in a while a promo site will run one of my books without me asking. Woke up to 400 downloads of my permafree. :dance:

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I had a different editor go over book 2 in my series so he could tell me if a reader who hadn't read book 1 would be hopelessly lost or would have a good idea of what was going on.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is in need of proofreading, copyediting, or line editing before the year's end, I still have slots available, but they are going fast, and I'll also have a few times here and there (i.e., Thanksgiving weekend) when I'm unavailable. I don't have PM but send an email to booksidemanner@gmail.com for rates and availability.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've self-published a contemporary/literary novel, and the sales weren't quit-the-day-job good but it always earned back on its promotions and made me a profit. It's all about what you want to achieve. If it's a story you want to tell and you aren't relying on the book sales to keep the roof over your head, go for it.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is in need of editing services, I have a few slots left before the end of the year. Or you can book for early next year. I don't have PM here so send an email to booksidemanner at gmail.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I've bought both pre-mades and custom covers from Go On Write and have been very happy. Then again, marketing is not my strength so I may well have missed the mark for my covers, but my sales for my literary/contemporary book doubled after it got a Go On Write cover.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It never hurts to try for a BookBub anyway, though it's been quite some time since I've gotten a spot.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I had nearly forgotten that some of my books were still on Smashwords, and today I was notified I'd gotten some royalties. It's almost like free money.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I read The Screaming Mimi by Frederic Brown, a noir mystery that has some nice "meta" narration and a fairly freaky resolution. The title refers to a statuette of a nude, screaming, terrified woman. I think the book is out of print; I got my copy at a vintage paperback show.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Maybe donate them? In the past I've given gently used books to Operation Paperback (http://www.operationpaperback.org). They send books to military service people all around the world.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It's been a while since I've spent time in this discussion, so forgive me if it's not cool to tout one's services. But if anyone is in need of line editing/copyediting/proofreading, I just had a cancellation for November and can take on a manuscript of any genre and length (though if it's a very large MS, it might take a bit longer than usual because I'm having some medical stuff done at the end of November). Email me at booksidemanner at gmail dot com if you'd like to know more about my rates and the genres I've edited and if you'd like to send a sample edit. Ten percent discount if you mention somethingawful.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If anyone is in need of proofreading, copyediting, or line editing, I just had a cancellation and now have an opening for January 14-31. I edit all genres of fiction.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
FreshFeesh: I do line editing, copyediting, and proofreading. Send me an email at booksidemanner at gmail dot com if you'd like to know more about rates, services, and so forth.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Thank you Hijinks, I sent you an email

It ended up in my spam folder - I will reply to you on Sunday!

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Once when I was at a local bookstore, I looked at the indie author shelves and saw that an author had used the first font, text color, and photo that the CreateSpace cover template barfed out at them. Still not sure if the author was stingy or really unclear about the process.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Question about ISBNs.

I've got a two-book series (I'd call it a duology, but that sounds like a medical procedure), and I'm making a box set version. Currently each book has its own ISBN. Should there be a separate ISBN for the box set?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

The wider shot looks better, yeah. The blue fits better with flood, too

I agree.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Zaepho posted:

My wife has a rule, Never submit a manuscript that has not been read and critiqued by at least one person who is not your friend or relative.

A very good rule. One guideline I always give writers is to never have one's mom be a beta reader, because there are two types of moms: one won't say anything bad, and one won't say anything good. Both are no use for feedback and critique, though the won't-say-anything-bad mom is good if you're having a bad day and need an ego boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

misery memoir

I'm just sitting here laughing because that's such an apt description. I'd prefer to never have to edit a memoir again, though it's not the content, it's the mine field of critiquing the author's life story.