Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Three already lined up for the 11th dang it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Does anyone here use twitter to advertise?

I am pretty ignorant about it, as in never used twitter ever but made an account a couple days ago for my pen name. It just had never come up before.

Now I have book scheduled to be free tomorrow and Saturday, and wanted to "tweet" the link to it "@" a bunch of free book twitter accounts like @freebookclub1, @kindle_free, and like a hundred more. Because of the character limit, does that mean I should send a hundred tweets, one for each of them, or what?

Can people (other than the couple hundred followers I somehow picked up) see that the book is free on their twitter or something?

I'm sure these are eye-rollingly callow questions, but gently caress if I know how to use twitter and the promo starts tomorrow.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Ok, think I got it. Thank you that was pretty helpful.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, it is yucky romance stuff. 3000 free given away so far so that seems like a lot (for me at least)

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Right.
I'd do it sooner rather than later since any sales are not going to count towards the "new" book's rank. I think you can unpublished at any point regardless of if it is in select or not. It will always be on your bookshelf.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I'm really happy someone is actually taking advice in this thread.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I got the same. I love setting bookreport at .0045 and then BAM, extra few hundred bucks outta nowhere.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

The head looks like the top of a horse's head, with ears and a forelock.

Not a judgement, just an observation of what it makes me think of.

Or a Batman mask with a wig glued to the top of it.

Eyes are the windows to the soul, and you can't see the subjects on the cover. A lot of covers feature eyes, without them your protagonist seems alien and unrelatable.

You have to think about what people will think the instant of when they look at your cover. This, in a flash, says "Blue freak in overalls falling off". You want a cover that at a glance says something else (I assume "Taint-fighter and pals").

Again, I am not saying change a thing, I'm just giving some input.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

This one is better, plus it already has the cat on it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I would like to agree that #3 will not make a good cover as well. Are you doing image searches for "dark angel" or similar? I assume it is because you need a guy with wings? Maybe just find a good cover guy first, then add the wings as a transparent, ghost like magic?

I didn't want to say anything about the pen name (in case it was your real name or something) but yeah, I would assume the writer was too exotic.

Isn't constructive criticism fun? Really tho, we are trying to help, do not take it personally at all. The people here are earning a lot of cash doing this and learned these lessons the hard way about what can instantly tank a book.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

You know how Airbnb got in trouble because people tended to not give rooms to people with ethnic sounding names? To appeal to the broadest audience you want a name that makes them feel a certain way. Not overly complicated.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Paige Turner

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Bardeh posted:

Oh hey, an extra $300 or so from that adjustment. I'll take it!

Yup, I just got an extra car payment. Not going to complain about that.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Try #3. Changed the title font out to Bebas, used Trajan for the secondary font, then went mad with power with Bevel Object. :unsmigghh:

This is great.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

There are also no circles on the cover other than the "O"s. Add some flaming circles over the city maybe?

Or have the birds be in a circle (oval circling around the title at 45 degrees?)

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 21, 2016

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

You are always going to see ups and downs for no reason. This summer slump has been bizarre. I only put out two new releases since June out and they both bombed. (In all fairness they were both terrible) I figure it is time to pump out a sequel to my best seller with a free day on September 1st as a "Back to School" promo for the moms who now have free time again.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

Another question - since it is a series, I assume it's a good idea to release both the first two at once? So if readers do like it, you can harness that initial enthusiasm so they buy the second one immediately after finishing the first?

If it isn't published it isn't earning any money. They wouldn't even have the chance to buy it if they liked the first one.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

fruit loop posted:

Is self-pubbing romantic on amazon still something that a motivated new person could get good at and turn into a million bucks over a few years or has Amazon finally killed that?

There has been a lot of changes from the original thread here about it. It is a lot harder and you need to much more focused, as well as advertise carefully. The volume of required content produced to maintain momentum is higher now too. The changes to KU caused a lot of scams that decreased the pot for everyone and while Amazon cracked down on them, it is still an issue.

Because you are talking about romance, the discussion of the specifics of that genre are not allowed here. You would have to join another forum for specific information on that. It is a good rule that prevents drama about the bizarre content some people try to justify.

There is still a lot of money to be make if you are really motivated and have the ability to create quality content that people want to buy, but the days of making your own covers in ms paint and not having and editor are pretty much over. At least, if you want to make "a million bucks."

The old rule was that after you had 30 short stories out you would start seeing some decent income, but now it is all about pages read. 30 shorts are nothing, the money on Amazon for all categories is in pages. A 5,000 word short story is now worth considerably less than a 50,000 word novella, and that killed a lot of the people who were making bank on those shorts. You would want to put out at minimum two novellas a month, three would be better.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

When I still had a day job, I would write (with my thumbs) on my iPhone as an email that I would send to myself. Then, I would reply to the email and add a few paragraphs to it. When it was all done I edited it in Word 2010 using the Smashwords style guide. I did three books that and they still earn $50 or so a month since 2013. Don't get me wrong, I can pump out a LOT more work with a mechanical keyboard with and the grammarly plug in, but just do whatever gets words on the page first.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

There has been a small change. Please read this new Amazon blog post.

https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/abpto3jt7fhb5oc

And the new guidelines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=14279631

Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ketchup vs catsup posted:

too many pronouns; dunno who you're talking about half the time.

Agreed.

In the old Transformers cartoon, they would always call the robots by name, excessively so. That was so the audience would remember and be able to buy the toys. It was really successful and I try and emulate it in my writing. Establishing some guy named Bill is one thing, but the more you write Bill's name the more the audience connects with him. Example;

He had to get help right now or it would be trouble.

Bill had to get help right now or it would be trouble.

Who do you care more about?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I saw a boost but yeah, not what I should have earned in September. So if everyone gets a boost doesn't the pot just get stretched thinner and the rate goes down?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

That's what I was thinking too.

Since we are a week away, anyone want to start guessing September's rate? Down a smudge to .00442 or a big drop to .00397? Maybe pop up a little to .00495? Or a huge boost to over .005?

I never would have guessed I'd be as excited about a farthing as that little rabbit in the Robin Hood cartoon.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

I'm at like, 500 pages read the last 2 days. What the hell? The election is killing me.

It's even worse than Halloween.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

So if I give out copies before it is published, will Amazon let people review it if that have not bought it on Amazon? They can just log into their Amazon account and review it even though there is no record of them purchasing it?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Thank you! I have like, 70 books published and have never done that. I just assumed you couldn't review something on Amazon you didn't buy. I have one up for preorder for Black Friday, I think I will be sending out some copies this week to people, see how it goes.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ARE is closing at the end of the year. I had a best seller there for a while.

We will be unable to remit Q4 2016 commissions in full and are proposing a settlement of 10 cents on the dollar (USD) for payments received through 27 December 2016. We also request the following conditions:

1. That you consider this negotiated settlement to be “paid in full”.
2. That no further legal action be taken with regards to the above referenced commissions owed.

If you are willing to accept the offered amount and the terms proposed, please hit the reply on this email keeping the history intact. Change the subject to “Publisher Settlement Acceptance” and copy/paste the acceptance statement below into your email, filling in the fields.

Upon receipt of the signed agreement, I will authorize payment of the settlement amount in full by 28 February 2016 via the method stipulated in your publisher account.

It is my sincere hope that we will be able to settle this account and avoid filing for bankruptcy, which would undoubtedly be a prolonged and costl y process.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

The only thing you need to "research" this poo poo is a $10 a month KU subscription. Don't let anyone tell you different.

That and free books, too.

I said this before but I wrote a book on my phone during my lunch breaks at work, just emailing myself. My thumbs hurt but that book still pulls in money every month, years later. The sequels were written on a laptop bought with book money. It takes time tho.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

It is up for me, but I noticed my page reads are low today.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Did anyone else just get one 1099 from amazon this year? I normally get a pile of them.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

That is amazing. I put everything in KDP so my entire tax forms this year are going to be one 1099 from Amazon and one from Audible. I will be able to file from my phone for fucks sake. I might even do it today.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Got an email today...

Hello,

We recently discovered a technical error that caused an incorrect amount to be reported on your 2016 1099-MISC form.

To securely download the amended form, follow the steps below:
1. Sign into your KDP Account: http://kdp.amazon.com
2. Click “(Your Name)’s Account” at the top
3. Scroll to “Tax Information”
4. Click “View/Provide Tax Information”
5. Scroll to the “Year-end tax forms” section
6. Click the “Find Forms” button
7. Click “Download”

Well, poo poo. I just filed my taxes yesterday, and now it turns out they were wrong. Only by about 50 bucks for box 2 (royalties) difference, but still.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

HOLY poo poo, Book Report is even better now.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

Huh. I bothered to check my monthly report for January (my first month) and my KU royalties outstripped my actual sales royalties by 3 to 1. Is that typical?

I'd say about that, yeah.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

freebooter posted:

Weird, you'd think they'd play that up more when asking whether you want to put your book in KU.

The history of KU is pretty checkered. For a while (when it first started) it was BANK, then it went to poo poo a few times and got changed a few times.

The draw is still there, but if you think about it, you lose several storefronts. So if it doesn't earn in KU what it would earn with Kobo, B&N, Smash, Fiction4all, iBooks AND Lulu all combined...

I just put all my poo poo in KU because I was lazy.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Popular Human posted:

Anyone else having issues with publishing right now? I have a title that's been approved for over 24 hours now, but has yet to show up on Amazon or SalesRank. What gives?

It's been weird for me the last three books. As soon as one of mine e goes live I always buy it to check it out on a kindle and the last few have taken forever to show as sales.

And is book-report broken right now? I'm so used to letting it calculate for me it's weird to not have it.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

It's been working fine for me today (including now). V:confused:V

Yeah now it's working for me again. I've grown really dependent on it I guess.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Anybody else doing this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=12061299031

I have to give up a keyword on a new release (since I can't stuff them now lol) but figure it might be fun.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

When did ACX stop sending out the 25 free codes automatically? I got the Your ACX audiobook is now available for sale! message and now it says I have to email them to get the codes? Also, now is it not OK to redeem them yourself and then send the audiobook out as a gift? Because that is what this says

http://audible-acx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965/c/3540,3541

I would always redeem them myself and only give them as gifts, because the codes can be used for any audiobook, not just the one you are trying to promote. By giving them as gift certificates it ensured they would be used for my book, and not Harry Potter or 50 Shades. Did they change that too, so that the code is specific to your book, or are they still generic codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Is that the right link?