Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Duuk posted:

Time does bloody fly, doesn't it. Based on what I read here, one needs to write 4-6 books per year to expect long term success.

I think this is true whether you self-publish or get published by a trad publisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Remora posted:

Well, that's god-damned depressing.

Surveys of author income, particularly for just book-writing activities, show hilariously low earnings.

I've been lurking this thread for months while working on a project. I'm probably a month or so off yet from finishing the manuscript, but I've got a cover artist, an editor, and an illustrator lined up. I'll post my blurb soon, because that's the closest to being complete.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The Authors Guild does a survey that largely confirms that data, fwiw

https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/six-takeaways-from-the-authors-guild-2018-authors-income-survey/

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

It says this:

46% traditionally published; 27% self-publish only; and 26% do both—meaning that slightly more than half of the respondents have done some self-publishing.

My original point wasn't that people don't make any money, they definitely do. I was responding to the comment that to make money you have to write 4-6 books a year, which seems true for basically everyone trying to write books for a living, whether they are trad published or self-published.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know of too many traditional published authors who are authoring more than 1 book a year, aside from book factory guys like Patterson who are just writing a chapter in a book written by someone else.

I guess what is a book in this instance?

Right, but if all you're thinking about are guys like Colson Whitehead, who are out there winning Pulitzers and going on talk shows, then we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about the legion of garden-variety proles that nobody knows or cares about who wrote all the other books on the store shelves, or who e-pubbed Terrible Harry Potter Knockoff Book #8,734,562.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I'm in the same boat. My first book launches on the 18th and I'm going to be a mess for the next month I'm sure. SurreptitiousMuffin (or anyone else!) if you're up for a review swap I'd be happy to send an ARC, just PM me.

I'm going through my release checklist now and finishing up my marketing materials. Does anyone have any thoughts on my front cover:

Or my (somewhat revised) blurb:

Or my trailer (aka the ad I'll be running on Facebook et al):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDduJFp40w

Or my website?

I'm putting together a Facebook campaign right now for a pretty decent spend, and I'm looking into BookBub and the other similar services mentioned in this thread. I'm also slowly putting together a social presence but I'm not expecting much out of it because I'm awful at social media. I've decided that $3.99 was the sweet-spot between "this is cheap enough to take a risk on" and "this book is expensive enough that it might be good" but I'm open to thoughts on other price points.

Since I'm a hobbyist and it's my first book, my real goal is going to be to get as many people as possible to read it, rather than try to make any money on it—or even to stay in the black. Does anyone have any tips on just casting as wide a net as possible?

This stuff is all first rate.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I wrote an 89k word novel in 2019 and submitted it to agents in early 2020 after doing live pitches at a conference. I got 5 requests and 5 rejections, and they all said essentially the same thing: it was clear that an adult was writing the book or narrating the story which was meant for a young-adult audience. I got the same feedback from the friends and acquaintances who read it.

I've decided to try one more time to have it published, so I'm going to do a rewrite with a mind towards fixing the language, scenarios, and other elements for a younger audience. I'll probably cast a wider net this time, but if I hit a wall of rejections again I'm going to self-publish it.

Anyways, does anyone here have a good recommendation for blogs, books, other resources for re-writing a book?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I appreciate the recs.

Here's the pitch from my query letters/in person script:

Flint, the son of a feral cat chief, is doomed. Assassins hired by rival heirs hunt him; a doomsday cult, the Golden Circle, summons terrors from a dead future; and the American Civil War descends on Flint’s city, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

In the middle of a Union naval raid on the riverfront, assassins attack Flint. Kulke, an old war ally, saves him. To pay his life-debt, Flint enlists in Kulke’s religious order, the Ratkillers, for a mission beneath the city, to disrupt a Golden Circle summoning ritual. Flint, Kulke, and their allies fail their mission. Monsters embodying the horrors of Late Capitalism—global warming, white supremacy, the surveillance state, among others—emerge from the underworld to destroy the secret societies of cats.

Flint’s conscience won’t allow him to flee Vicksburg alone, but time is running out on the doomed city. To save his family, Flint must return home to face ruthless political enemies. To save his best friend, he must join the war against the Golden Circle and their army of drowned dogs, possessed rats, and insane cats. To save a love lost to the cult, Flint may have to become a lost cause himself. To save them all, he must find the one force that can contend with the madness of the cult: Solidarity.

SIEGE CATS is a gritty, urban, left-wing Warriors, with a mature style like The Wicked Deep and The Night Circus, where cats battle time-traveling forces of Late Capitalism, connecting readers’ experiences of contemporary issues with the enduring legacy of slavery.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Haha yeah there's a reason it got rejected a bunch and I'm gonna end up self-publishing!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Fair enough, it doesn't really fit for YA, I just assumed it would have to be YA because of animal protagonists.

They're cats because of a line in a history of the Vicksburg siege I read, where a Union soldier remarked after taking the city that the Confederates were so desperate and close to starvation that you couldn't find a stray cat or hog or dog in the entire town. The image stuck with me, and I figured an apocalyptic story about animals in a siege would be good.

The cats could probably be adapted into gangs of kids or something, and that's an angle I'm considering. It would lose a lot of freedom in crafting mythologies and political systems, but it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Leng posted:

Oh. That is not a good reason for targeting the YA market. And that inspiration is really cool. If that's what got you all fired up to write the book, then stay true to that instead of twisting it into something else that it isn't.

Also:

If you had pitched this to me as "Redwall, but for grown-ups and from the POV of cats" I would buy this as a reader, no question.

I appreciate you saying this, and the rest of you.

I don't really want to rewrite The whole thing to fit in a genre that I clearly didn't write it for. The feedback I got from other people who are more "Would read Redwall for Adults," suggested that I change up the introduction and work on buy-in for the reader with the protagonist.

I think I'm gonna stick to my original vision on this and approach my rewrite with plot clarity and flow in mind, rather than with remaking the language and characters.