Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

The name dropping rubs me slightly the wrong way but I can't explain why - it may just be my personal taste.

If you do go that route, though, I'd make it much clearer why you have name-dropped those particular series. At the moment, you have the following:

Ccs posted:

A story about hubris, fear, and the occasional fireball, the self-contained novel Order of the Magi should appeal to fans of Patrick Rothfuss’ The Kingkiller Chronicles and KJ Parker’s Academic Exercises.

It isn't apparent to me that the first half of your sentence (bold) has any relation to the series that you name. Is it supposed to? Having only read The Name Of The Wind and never heard of Academic Exercises I could maybe see the link regarding hubris to TNotW but that's about it. You need the blurb to sell to people who have never read your comp titles. Compare to the example you gave for The Scar

Ccs posted:

"Plotted with the sureness of Robin Hobb and colored with the haunting and ominous imagination of Michael Moorcock, The Scar tells a story that cannot be forgotten."

Even if I had never heard of Robin Hobb or Michael Moorcock, I still know exactly what attributes you are trying to sell me on. If I have heard of them or read them, even better.

I'm not saying you need to use this sentence structure exactly but as a potential reader I need to know what about those comparisons is going to appeal to me. After all, not everybody is going to like everything about your comparisons as novels themselves. Take TNotW - if you said "... will appeal to fans of Patrick Rothfuss' elaborate magic systems" then I'm on board. If you said "... will appeal to fans of Patrick Rothfuss' rich world building", well, I can't remember a drat thing about his world beyond generic medieval european fantasy. Comp titles are a tool for highlighting the best parts of your book, not just name recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Chris Pistols posted:

What software could be be talking about that helps with Kindle advertising?

This is the only thing I can help with but this might - and I stress, might - be a reference to PublisherRocket.

It's a tool used to gather information on books on the Amazon store without having to manually search over and over. It can do things like evaluate the competition using a given keyword, suggest search terms for your book, show what terms and categories specific books are using, etc. For example, searching for the "young adult" keyword/phrase, I get the following:

From this I could see that while this is a potentially lucrative market it is also incredibly crowded (and as you can imagine, that estimated monthly earning is probably heavily distorted by the top players - think Harry Potter or Divergent) and I may wish to instead use a suggested alternative such as "young adult adventure" which is slightly less crowded.

Now, a lot of that information is available by just searching the Amazon store - a large benefit of the software is not having to do this over and over for each variation. This way you can choose useful (popular but not over-crowded) keywords - search terms that your book should display for - which may be what your dad is referring to by "helps with Kindle advertising".

It's certainly legitimate software and, at ~$116 including tax as a one-time purchase, it's probably not going to break the bank. It's by no means a requirement to self-publishing, though.

Probably worth checking with him what he's actually seen.