Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I could certainly relate to wanting an agent. My writing under my main name isn't getting any sales, and I don't have the money to market myself. I try doing the free stuff myself every now and again, but inevitably, I come to the conclusion that the little bit of spare time I have is better spent writing (or at least I would much rather write).

If getting an agent actually did mean moving to just writing and not marketing while still building audience, then that would be super tempting, regardless of income potential loss. This does not seem to be a thing, though. If I understand correctly, even big six publishers expect authors to do the marketing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I'll disagree a little on the world-building. As a reader, I love the bits where the characters learn how magic works, what causes the zombie plague, where the races all come from and how that influences them, why that ancient tomb with items of legend exists and who put it there, what makes that unexplored planet different and dangerous, etc. It's one of the things I read fantasy and sci-fi for. To me, it affects how I see the characters since they're reacting to this world as it is.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though, because my writing has very mixed reviews when it comes to world-building (it runs the range from people absolutely loving the detail to absolutely hating it). I write my fantasy for fun, and I write what I like to read. Of course, I also write in towns that are essentially water parks run by wizard Walt Disney and experimental travel businesses specializing in using students as test dummies, so I feel like world-building is half the fun.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Sundae posted:

The group was best summed up by the phrase "Time-traveling librarian who likes to knit visits all her favorite famous people from the past, falls in love with Napoleon, and changes the course of history all while teaching the reader tasty recipes in a time-travel culinary romance."

Ok, if she got rid of the knitting (ugh, so many writers want to insert this) and the Napolean bit, and maybe had some historically accurate recipes throughout, this might be an interesting base. Just so long as she accepted most people were getting the book for the recipes.

What I'm saying is she should write a cookbook with recipes from throughout history. I guess she could write it in first-person if she has to "be there."