Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

jazzyjay posted:

Actually, what are people's thoughts on whether to highlight it is a series?

I ask as it seems to me that many readers are hesitant to buy series that are in progress - they want to wait until everything is out before bingeing on the whole thing. I guess its a reaction to writers using too many cliff hanger endings as a method of getting readers to buy their next book.

My next book is the first in a series - but it works as a standalone. I'm not going to be promoting it as Book 1 in X, rather I'll work on the second book as a sequel and then go from there.

As a reader, I'm a little suspicious of things titled "book 1" when no other books in the series exist yet. It tells me the story is incomplete, and I may be waiting years to find out how things end. Okay, maybe not years for epub books, but still. And if it's a new author I'm unfamiliar with, there's a chance he'll flake out and never finish the series because writing is harder or less fabulous than he expected. It's more a red flag than an inducement for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

freebooter posted:

Released the second book in my series a few days ago and somebody on Goodreads who didn't even rate the first has given it one star, which somehow breaks the space-time continuum and gives you a -2 rating.... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34447188-end-times?ac=1&from_search=true

edit - My mistake, they also gave the first book a meh rating. I'm just bemused by how it's actually possible to get a sub-zero rating.

edit 2 - Goodreads is really fascinating. I never would have thought the vast majority of readers of a zombie series would be women.

If she didn't like the first book, why go and read the second? People are weird.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

freebooter posted:

Wow, I didn't know about this and it's amazing. My royalty statements have so far been a pleasant surprise because (as far as I know) there's no way to track what you're earning with Kindle Select before the statement is generated, unless you feel like cracking out the calculator yourself. But it's now 4x what I make from actual sales.

I've also cracked over $1,000 AUD in less than three months of sales, which I realise is chump change compared to what some of you make, but I'm honestly stoked about that. Way more than I ever would have imagined making from this.

On a less e/n note, it's really fascinating to see how heavily concentrated sales are in the US:

Just taking those four countries, all of which speak English (and I'm an Australian author writing a book set in Australia), Australia/UK/Canada make up 25% of the combined population but only 3% of the sales. Goes to show just how much new technology like ereaders and Amazon is invented and propagated in the US, and only slowly trickles out to the rest of the world. Certainly I know very few Australians with an ereader, and none at all who would buy from Amazon.

Some of those US sales may be lying about their nationality though. I'm in Canada, but I have an Amazon.com account as well as an amazon.ca account. I do Mechanical Turk tasks sometimes and those pay out in amazon.com (not .ca) credits, so if I buy anything but e-books and apps I have to pay international shipping and customs charges. I've bought a few e-books from the US site, but never from the Canadian.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

Sundae posted:

This thread is almost three years old now. Anyone want to pick it up and go with it under a new OP?

The onion explains everything:
http://www.theonion.com/video/how-self-publish-book-55659

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

First GIS result for "running secret agent", alienskin electrify, free robotech font from dafont, red brushed metal filter, just under 10 minutes.

You da man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

Icon-Cat posted:

Wow! Thanks a lot, man I appreciate it quite a bit. On paper Something Awful may not come off as the target audience for some of my stuff but I've always had a feeling we've got quite a few softies among us. :3: Ha ha ha!

Goon compliments are the best. :3: Because if goons think something suck they'll tell you it is bad and you should feel bad. After 10 years here it seems really weird going to facebook or some place like that where everyone tells you everything everyone does is wonderful and beautiful all the time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

That doesn't seem like an effective warning. "I know what you did and if you do it again you're in trouble mister!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know of too many traditional published authors who are authoring more than 1 book a year, aside from book factory guys like Patterson who are just writing a chapter in a book written by someone else.

I guess what is a book in this instance?

I remember reading that harlequin romance writers do 4-6 novels a year. It looks like Stephen King manages 2-3 books most years. A quick look at genre authors like Mercedes Lackey, Peirs Anthony, Laurell K. Hamilton all seem to do 2-3 books a year. From reading author's notes over the years they aren't just doing 2-3 books a year, they were doing 2-3 books simultaneously. Writing one first draft, doing revisions on another, and final proofs and publishing on the third. Just doing the job for 8+ hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

i like cats

Get your dad to tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1193190844012122113