Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
First time posting on here. I've read a lot of the thread, it's all great information.

I've written my first book and I am currently editing it. It's a murder mystery set in London in the 1930s. I am confident it fits in its genre and I'm intending to pay for a professional to make the cover. I can't afford an editor or proofreader (without sacrificing significant money from my family's holiday budget) but I'm pretty confident I can get my book out with only a handful of errors at most. I plan to publish via KDP.

I wrote the book in two and a half months. I'm looking to write a book every two months (with a little wiggle room) so 5 or 6 a year. I aim to have a catalogue of at least ten books by the end of next year. I'm incredibly intimidated by the marketing and promotional aspects of self publishing, but whilst I find it a little stressful I am enjoying the writing (I'm part way through book 2 already).

I work part time and I'm not hugely concerned with making money in the short term but I would like all the work to have been worth it in the long run. I wouldn't need to make a lot of money a month to be happy, enough to buy groceries would feel like a success to me.

My question is - (based on the proviso my books have good covers, blurbs and few errors) is it reasonable to just concentrate on writing for a couple of years and then worry about building up an audience once I have a reasonably sized catalogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU