Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

All Else Failed posted:

I read a full sample of a successful title and just laughed at the garbage tropes and thesaurus linedance. I can follow the guides and resources from those before me in my sleep and create cookie cutter bullshit that the people will pay me for. IF and when I can segue into some kind of project that actually involves me emotionally putting something on the line or writing 65k words, then I will heed your words on devouring the genre much more closely. Again, I am much more worried about turning a profit with no Photoshop skills at this point.

Well, yes, you bring up a fair point—garbage can and does sell, unfortunately, but what some of the others are getting at is beyond that. Like they're saying, publishing (of any flavor) isn't exactly a gold rush for 99% of people doing it, and I hate to break it to anyone who's in love with Hugh Howey—who, to be fair, has been really successful—but authorearnings.com is sort of an industry-wide joke for a variety of reasons. The quality of your cover isn't going to make or break you in and of itself. The bigger question is, if you make a relatively tiny amount of money putting hours and hours into something you couldn't give less of a poo poo about, how much of your own time have you just wasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU