Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Anyone know if there's a way to download a copy of your book out of KDP? I've Googled, had a quick look throughout all the options but still drawing a blank. It'll probably be right in front of me, I just keep missing it.

Big thanks for all the hard work in this thread too by the way - it's been a huge help in getting things off the ground and finally being able to publish something. Now onto the next one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

divabot posted:

fwiw, i was horribly blocked on my next book and then I did a mind map and an outline and now it's CRANKING AHEAD

I tried doing a daily twitter thread of my wordcount. Seems to be working to get me writing just so i don't post "0 words" too often. Including on-topic blog posts, though 1000 blog words is as much work as 200 book words. Currently bogged down in summarising a couple of six-hour House/Senate hearings, because they're absolute gold. (The book is about Facebook's Libra crypto coin BS, and I'm stunned at the bipartisan loathing of Facebook, and cribbing good lines from the honorable gentlemen and gentlewomen. It turns out politicians are good talkers, and boy can they show it when they're pissed.)

so if you, uh, "tweet", try a daily word count thread, it works for me and others

There's a site called Storyorigin where they recently added a daily word count feature where you plug in your wanted word count and target date and it'll give you a word target per day (which changes the more or less you write each day of course.)
It's free to sign up and comes with a graph which helped me knock off my latest book in a month and a half - seeing how far/close you are to your target is a big motivator for me.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

If you're running Amazon ads for your books, you can finally see it any of your ads clicked have earned you any KENDP. One 30 cent ad gave me a full book read last night - new mansion here I come!*

*Not that I have an old mansion currently but you get the point..

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Gologle posted:

Thanks for the fast response. That's a very good idea about the short story incentive to joining the newsletter, I think once I get more established I will go that route. What should I be using to get a newsletter together? I know nothing about them at the moment.

I never planned to write a short story this year until I read about another author having great success in building their mailing list and thought 'well I really don't have anything to lose here do I? (Because my list was zero at the time)'. So my process was:

1. I wrote a 17k novella, set just before my series kicked off. Took me a week and a half and it was a nice distraction from working on the third of my series. At the end of it, I included a link to the first in the series.

2. I put it up in Amazon KDP but didn't enroll it in Select so I could still be able to host it/give it away somewhere else. I set it at 99 cents and still managed two buys so far.

3. I signed up to StoryOrigin (it's free and incredibly helpful for new writers) and set it as a reader magnet. People could now come along and download it for a read, once they signed up to my mailing list (set up through MailChimp)

4. StoryOrigin has tonnes of free promos you can be a part of, including ones solely for building your list. Through a couple of these promos over the last month, a new name appears on my mailing list every couple of days. I'm at 40 and counting which is a great start.

So if you have the time, write a short purely to build your list. And if you make any coin from it, so much the better.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Leng posted:

Especially because apparently Amazon hates Australia so that sucks for me.

How recently did this kick in? I'm also here in Aus and had author copies come in last month.
(Also FedEx is beyond loving useless for delivery, I had to go hunting for my first batch of author copies. I had put on the wrong address (previous address) and after a bit of tracking I found them at a newsagency where they dropped the package off after bouncing a couple of times and left it there, washing their hands of it.)

Edit: just ordered another 3 to my address in nsw without a problem so you may be in luck!

Camo Guitar fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 3, 2021

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Same, just author copies and then I fix any obviously incorrect things from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Leng posted:

But doesn't that screw around with your launch plans? Do you stealth publish it, order author copies, then immediately take the book down until you get them, fix any issues, then put it back up on your planned release date and then do your promos from there?!

I've sold one physical copy in two months since I finally got round to putting the option up. The rest have been downloads or kdp so as long as they're all correct then I'm good.