Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I've started work on a horror novel that I'm going to self-pub and I'm wondering if anyone here has had success selling work done in a present active tense.

I'm worried that no one will buy the book as soon as they see what tense it's written in, even though I'm mostly happy with the product. Thinking I might start over before it's too late...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks! I'm thinking that as long as I keep the style terse or avoid being too stylish, it could work.

I'm using this style because there are a few nightmare sequences in the book that are key to the main plot and that feels like a good way to immobilize the reader while they witness the action as it unfolds.

(I'm also going back to prose after writing a stack of screenplays all done in that active tense, which is another reason I was getting some anxiety over the style)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

How much do you all spend on editing services for short works and lengthy manuscripts?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Impressive! Thanks for following up.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Hoping this thread doesn't die! I love the info in here.

My best friend has been doing independent editing for years, working for editing mills mostly, but specializes in academic research editing and for writers who utilize English as a second language.

She's branching into self-pub manuscript editing for those interested. I think her rates are pretty competetive:

https://www.cloverleafediting.com