Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mirage posted:

Actually, that makes me wonder: How is the Christmas season for self-pubbers? Does anyone see an upswing during Cyber Monday Week? Is there a boost after the holidays, when people have their shiny new tablets and need something to read on them? Do people who publish physical copies see more of them getting sold?

It used to be called smutmas for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bardeh posted:

It looks like the boards got sold to some company, and the ToS got updated to include the following passage:

So uh, yeah, yikes I'm not surprised longterm members are leaving in droves.

Yeah. The boards get super critical of dumb poo poo (like mirroring and other things plenty of people did) but they were a good hub for info, and talking to some of the bigs about stuff. Everyone’s moving over to another board there, and it seems chill.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Couple things, as someone who does this for a living. Romance is still king, but if you love writing something else, (sci fi, thrillers or mysteries) write what you love the most. Read ten books that are in the top 100 of those genres, and then start writing. A thousand words a day is nothing. It would take me less than a half hour to write that. Unless you focus on smut (and I would not) it’s just not enough.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

lexical fluidity posted:

Blowing the dust off this thread.

I used to post way back in another iteration of this thread when The Genre That Shall Not Be Named was the main discourse. Now I've upgraded to full-length novels: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJ16PPB Thanks to this thread's Hijinks Ensue for their editing (They actually edited it twice over the span of two years). It's got sex robots, cyborg-on-human violence a la Robocop, and lots of killing the rich. Still waiting on the paperback to go through Amazon's review.

Now to get to work on the five planned sequels :stonklol:

Super solid cover. I’ll buy it later today!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Icon-Cat posted:

On the note of covers, the stock photo models from my more recent efforts are beginning to follow me around.

Since putting out one project in February 2018, I've seen the cover model turn up in two entirely different online ads, then a print poster I saw out in Coney Island, then two news articles. I collect these encounters in a Twitter thread here: twitter.com/AdamBertocci/status/1033896409907507201

But it's not just her. A shot from the yellow-background-red-dress shoot from my newest cover (scroll down for exciting freebie) got used in a clickbait online ad I got served… and last month I bought a picture for an upcoming project, and the very next day saw a picture from the same dang shoot in an article about creepy guys. :eek:

Anyhoo, yes, I've put out another one of my little stories. It's free through Sunday, June 16.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07SWTG142/

It’s the night before the SAT and book-smart Maura is hitting the… well, books. But when her carefree Canadian cousin rolls into town unannounced, her plan goes out the window for one crazy night of unsupervised parties, teenage hijinks and occasional car theft.

All Maura wants is to get home to her flash cards; all Laura does is make a mess. But before the night is over, they’ll have to teach other a thing or two—and pass the kind of test you can’t cram for.

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Adam Bertocci has been praised by Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, The New Republic, GQ, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Back Stage, Broadway World, E!, Maxim, IGN, Wired, Film Threat and more. He also did very well on standardized tests.

That’s true of most popular stock photo models. Same five dudes are on so many covers. I find it funny when I see cheap thrillers at Barnes and Nobel that use the same stock photos that I have too. What’s funnier is that a lot of indie thrillers put in more work making the covers these days than even the cheap trade paperbacks... this business really will hit maturity in about three years. We’re still at “you can’t make much money doing it” and “it used to be easy, now it’s too hard and there are so many scammers”, depending on who you talk to.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I wish you nothing but success but I am not a fan of book 3’s cover at all. The visual motif you had going of the girl standing and looking with the titles in front and the cool background is completely replaced with a close up muddy shot.

Book 2’s cover is excellent and 1 is a tier below, but 3’s is bad. I had to stare at it for a couple seconds to understand it.

Agreed. But, using a red background for girl
Standing would be a good contrast. Dudes glow in the lower part of the image is neat. I’d say keep glow, but change girl. (You’ll need new images, but I’m just giving you a reference point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dream Weaver posted:

Meanwhile I have an artist but he wants $1,000 for the cover.

Unless we're talking like sci fi epic hand drawn poo poo, that's too much. Especially if you don't have a pen name with a ton of readers yet. A good pre made (there's plenty out there) for first or second or third books, and spend the extra money on editing.

Don't pay for advertising till book three or so either, at this point, and depending on genre.