Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

PoshAlligator posted:

Back when I was interning for a literary agent in the middle of last year one of the things she asked us to do was to go through some self-published stuff and see if there was anything worth picking up.

I actually got her in talks with Anais Nun, who is in this thread sometimes, but I'm not sure it panned out? It was just as I was finishing up my internship.

She approached me, I said I'd be thrilled to talk more with her and then she didn't call me back. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm sorry to hear that, but I hope you're doing just fine with the self-publishing stuff. I'm sure you could find someone else if you're really into the idea though. Agents looking to pick up self-published work is definitely still a thing, because then 98% of all the work is done for them already. Not too sure what that can offer the self-published person though. I guess if the author is struggling to get the sales they want?

Yeah - no worries. Thanks again for thinking of me.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Honestly, there has to be something that explains how a lot of people can keep writing and reading, yet continuing to suck at writing forever. Is it just because they have no self reflection or they don't listen to feedback or what, 'cause that poo poo's spooky.

Dunning-Kruger effect - when you're so hilariously hopeless you don't even know you're hopeless. My cousin's husband emailed me a while ago and said he wanted to write a romance novel. Obviously I tried to wriggle out of reading the thing but he wouldn't take no for an answer. Finally I was like "fine, I'll look at the first three chapters" and holy poo poo - it was beyond awful. I'm talking rudimentary grammar, spelling and punctuation errors everywhere. The document was subtitled "spell checked. No playgarism" - and he was talking about submitting this mess to a publisher!

So naturally I read him the riot act and told him he'd be lucky to get a form rejection if he bothered a publisher with this steaming, nonsensical word-turd, which led to him emailing me back with a passive aggressive screed about how my opinion wasn't going to "crush his dream."

By this point I'm practically tearing my hair out trying to explain that it has nothing to do with opinions - the godforsaken THING he'd thrust on me bore no resemblance to written English or the work of a human being who can read. I literally had no more space on the page for correction bubbles in MS word - that's how much of a mess it was. And he just assumed that I had time to sit around teaching a grown-rear end man how to use commas.

Finally, after a couple more whiny emails in which he carried on like a delusional American Idol contestant, he conceded that he should "go back to collage to lean English."

He's English, by the way.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Thirty new posts - came to see if All Else Failed had finally done a thing.

Thank you, All Else Failed. I have finished four novels this year and your lazy rear end whining has inspired me to get off my rear end and spend December writing short fiction for quick $$$. You're the best horrible warning that CC has had since Benny the Snake started posting here.

(Edit) Don't know if anyone has linked this already, but I came across this interesting post crunching the numbers on short fiction. If you're looking to make a living it's probably worth a read.

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/the-new-world-of-publishing-making-a-living-with-your-short-fiction/

Anais Nun fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 4, 2014

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

EngineerSean posted:

5 sales per book per month is what DWS bases everything on, and it's why he and his company are nearly bankrupt.

DWS did invent the WIBBOW test so he gets some props in my book.

Oops. Didn't realise he was such a bad example!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Just noticed that a book sale a few days ago was actually a return. Had a look at how other people react to this and I can't believe how prevalent this is.

I wonder if Amazon cracks down on problem re-offenders or if they care so little about authors and non-tangible goods that they'd rather let cheapskates steal a thousand books than get a single whinger complaining that they can't exploit the system anymore.

In my experience it was far, far worse before KU. Amazon's previous borrowing policy was so bad (something like 1 per month or something ridiculous) that people would just steal books all the time. KU has cut my returns down to almost nothing. So it's better, but sadly some people are just dicks who don't want to pay for things. You can't really do much about them. :(