Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

a pale ghost posted:

I wrote a story in the style of Edward Gorey (kids' style rhyming set to morbid themes) and I want to get it published. I want it to be an illustrated book, should I find an illustrator first or work on the publishing aspect first?

I'd do both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

divabot posted:

I assure you, my Secret for $UCCE$$ is: pick your lottery numbers correctly

I literally expected to sell a few hundred copies, I woulda called that a big win ... then I randomly hit the timing jackpot

how much did you make from the book sales and have you been mentioned in the ft?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

thanks for your response. i had a look at your libra book and I think it's wonderful. is it going to be available in other languages?

e. hes a unix dude i think?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Noobicide posted:

This is going to be a weird post. About two years ago I started writing a book that was basically Chapo Trap House fan fiction (plus some other podcasts, namely Cum Town, Comedy Bang Bang and Harmontownóall poorly disguised). It exploded from that into a sprawling satire something on the scale of (and with explicit references to) The Stand. It's called Beefsquad.

This book is unpublishable, but I still think some weirdos might like it. Basically itís about a bunch of Frankenfood causing Armageddon. It gets way more complicated, but Iíll spare you.

It should be free with the kindle unlimited thing. Check out how lovely my cover is.

Anyway, Iím sorry if this breaks the rules. If no ones sees this or cares, thatís okay too. Hereís the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8G2BBB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=beefsquad&qid=1601336939&s=books&sr=1-1

this is better than the fatal eggs

e. you should read sam lipsyte before thinking it's unpublishable (granted he's more established)

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 2, 2020

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

i think you need more of a will they wont they because people arent going to read all that through schadenfreude alone. there also seem to be too many subheadings and metaphors on that page and the front cover looks very congested. why dont you call it take back control and what it could mean for other people taking on facebook and the other FAANGS? a manual to protest etc

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

The stuff I write is stuff that I never would read for fun. Since I started doing this I've always had "A Slack" and I've gotten to know a lot of other writers who do well at this. I've noticed in romance writing there are two main types (there are more than two, but two MAIN types to me) and those are people who read romance for enjoyment and people who don't. Most men who write romance fall into the "non-reader" camp. I am very aggressively not a romance reader.

I have to FORCE myself to read other authors' books for research, and even a short, 35,000-word novella takes me a long time to read because I get so bored reading it and want to keep stopping. I can appreciate the craft of romance novels I read, but I really struggle to ever enjoy them. I am specifically talking about romance novels like the ones I write, shorter ones that are destined to top charts on KU for two months max and fall away into obscurity. I like "romance" when it's done well in films and more "literary" novels, but not in the way that the huge market of romance readers who read a book every day in KU like to read.

This doesn't mean I am disdainful of my readers or anything. It just means I'm writing something that I'm not the target audience for. I try really hard to put my own voice into this stuff and get elements in there that I appreciate myself (usually humor, for example, even if it's not a "comedy") but I am always hyper-conscious of what the readers actually want to read, and that is a very bright spotlight on the hero and heroine and their relationship. They want a fun meet cute, they want a super-competent, over-protective, charming hero who loves to eat pussy and who will be super stoked when he finds out he accidentally got you pregnant because he wants to wife you and be a father so bad. They want a happily ever after and no HINT of cheating, ever. These are things that often make me feel constrained or limited in what I can write, but I always deliver them so that I can make money.

With all that said, I find that "non-readers" like me have a pretty big advantage when it comes to writing really fast. When I used to write stuff for the Thunderdome, I was hyper-aware of how I would judge it as a reader, because I was writing stuff purely for fun. I was writing what I would want to read myself. Now I am writing things that I don't like to read, and so I use the Pomodoro method. I set a timer for 20 minutes and write non-stop for twenty minutes, usually producing between 900-1,200 words. I take a 6-minute break and repeat. I try to do this for two hours to produce 5,000 words in a two-hour chunk. My first drafts are very clean, and my editing pass for a full novel takes maybe 6-7 hours. My editing pass will be fixing typos, mistakes, and occasionally making some sentences sound better. I never edit anything as I write, and I never go back and look at what I wrote until a book is finished.

"Readers" really struggle with this kind of thing and generally write much more slowly. They also tend to let what they personally like get in the way a lot, and typically what they like isn't what will make them the most money. I am already writing stuff that I don't like, so I tend to just write stuff that makes the most money. I will admit I lean a bit toward genres I have more fun writing. Even though I don't like reading this stuff, I do actually have a lot of fun writing it. I always stick to genres that make a lot of money (high ceiling), but I will avoid writing stuff that strikes me as super unfun. For example I think "dark romance" is super boring to write, and I will avoid it even if it's currently doing really well on the top 100.

I think a lot of my books are quite good, but a lot of the books I've published have been kind of bad. The book I wrote that made the most money was really solid. It took me like 2.5 weeks to write and it made me over $100,000, lol. I currently have a book in the top 100 and it's making me over $500/day...it took me 9 days to write.

As a non-reader of this genre it's somewhat difficult to objectively assess my own books. I did a lot of "comedy" writing for fun on Twitter (lol...) and I put a lot of comedy into all of my romance novels. I'm doing actual "rom coms" right now, but even my non-comedy books have a solid amount of humor in them that I think separates them a bit from the pack and gives them somewhat of a unique selling point once you get to know me as an author. With that said, if you don't absolutely deliver the main thing the readers want, they will not care how many cool unique things you did. You mostly want to be generically on-market, so I try to keep myself on the rails as best I can without getting too super generic and boring. Even writing rom-coms, I have to be careful because Levon Wei or Joe Keskold isn't in any way the humor style that romance readers want. I have to try to hone in on what my target market will actually think is funny, so I rely a lot on having kids in the story doing cute stuff, the hero being goofily lovable, witty banter, etc. rather than ironic racist jokes or calling people retards.

Then the other thing is that is more than 75% of how well a book does is the cover and blurb, and I got really really good at making my covers and blurbs excellent and super on-market, which I think is the MAIN thing that made me do so well.

inspiring stuff. what is A Slack?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

oh! ive heard of Slack the company, thought you meant a technique or somehting. so you do 2.5 hours of writing a day and then also a couole of hours of reading for research? what kind of other genres have you written in and how do they compare to romance?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Icon-Cat posted:

Award-winning writer and filmmaker Adam Bertocci has been praised by Entertainment Weekly, USA Today, The New Republic, GQ, The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, Back Stage, Broadway World, E!, Maxim, IGN, Wired, Film Threat and more. This enchanting short story brews up a mix of coming-of-age, romantic comedy and, above all, shameless parody.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PHWKDL3/

best of luck with this freebie. and this is an indelicate question, but how much do you think you made on two gentlemen?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Someone mentioned blogspot was the best option for their own website as it's easy to use and the customisation wasnt hidden behind a paywall. But this was about 7 years ago, sooooo for your personal sites, do you still use blogspot or is there another game in town?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Leng posted:

There are loads of options with free plans:
I run Wordpress and pay for my own website and domain name because I like having the control over it, but you could easily get started with any of the above. If you want your own URL, you can usually buy that separately and keep control of it, though upgrading to a paid plan on most of these services will generally include getting a custom domain name.

Thanks, I used wordpress 10 years ago, just wondered what I can and can't do with a free wordpress account (does SEO suffer, can I embed videos, etc.) and how a free account with blogspot compares

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

that's very helpful, thanks for breaking it down so patiently. I do have my own domain (bought it yesterday for $10) but not sure if it's worth paying a further $100 to map wordpress to it because - as you say - people won't be typing it in anyway. on the other hand my main product I'm selling via the blog is my own translation work rather than an ebook, and it feels slightly less small time not to have wordpress in the url. sadly this looks to be something where i need to use my own judgement and appetite for spending rather than getting a definitive answer from the internet! noooooo haha

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

divabot posted:

having your own domain name is good

paying for hosting is probably a better idea than hosting it yourself, though the latter is stupendously cheap (a suitable server on Hetzner is like 2.50 EUR/mo)

I self-host my stuff, but I'm actually a sysadmin so I'm powerfully aware of the security issues of maintaining WordPress.

(WP used to be quite bad for security, it's vastly better now but you must keep it up to date, and if anything bites you in the rear end it's likely to be an ill-maintained theme or plugin you installed)

thanks divabot. after i posted i remembered i have a free wordpress account for years ago with a few things published on it but i doubt the seo accumulated by then is worth anything.

Edwardly posted:

There's also github pages + jekyll. You write markdown, put it in the right place, select a theme - there it all is. For free.

Definitely more technically challenging than base wordpress but I know lots of people that do it that don't know coding.

You can even use your own domain.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/working-with-github-pages/setting-up-a-github-pages-site-with-jekyll

I'd be happy to help you navigate that via PM, as well.

this is really kind of you edwardly. what are the advantages of github + jekyll over wordpress? sounds like it might be a bridge too far for me technically...

just to keep this on topic, ive noticed dictating (in Apple Pages) is a great way to hit your 1000 words a day target. it takes a few minutes and unlike writing i feel less like editing as i go or getting bogged down crafting the perfect sentence. but im not sure what the end result will be like and if i'll need to rewrite everything at the end. have any of you tried dictating and how did you find it?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

all other things like the standard of storytelling and cover art being equal, what are the most popular genres in self publishing in a hierarchy?

erotica
romance
fantasy
sci fi
crime
misery memoir
then what?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

military eh? what about stories of second world wartime derring-do? my grandfather wrote an account of his time in the air force and ive sometimes thought about revising it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm just sitting here laughing because that's such an apt description. I'd prefer to never have to edit a memoir again, though it's not the content, it's the mine field of critiquing the author's life story.

it's a proper genre! people like reading about other people's miserable childhoods! my gf's friend wrote one and did a reading at the library and it was daaaaaark. describing in detail how her father knocked her around. i think anyone who reads that stuff should be locked up tbh or at least have their hard drive seized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

go with 2.
i dont see that consequences can be anything but future.
you use searching twice in 2 sentences
you cant scour and hide at the same time id have thought