Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Searching online I found that Amazon got into a scuffle with publishers over Text to Speech. I’m guessing that it was only the bargaining power of the big publishers that allowed them to disable TTS on their books though, and that with self published authors Amazon will not allow any easy way to disable that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Thanks for the input, yours and Leng's has been really illuminating and helps show me how I need to think about moving forward in this venture. I'm sure I'm going to have some more silly questions pop up, but it's great to have a goon resource to keep me from trying to poke through a hodgepodge of "SO YOU WANT TO WRITE THE NEXT BEST SELLER IN THIRTY DAYS?!?!" blogs and advertisements.

I think I'm going to go with some recommendations here and step away from turning my rough draft into a first draft for a little bit and stretch my legs on other story ideas. I'm lucky, in that I have the entire arc of stories in my head beforehand. If I can keep myself from blabbering, I think I've got some stuff that could be a more feasible first foray into having a book with my name on it.

(On my peculiar circumstances - Without derailing the thread, I'll just say it's at the point where I need to get a healthcare lawyer again. I receive very expensive, monthly treatments covered by my Medicare that keep me from dying. Literally. My condition is terminal, but the treatment managed to stop its progression. While I feel like there are part time jobs, or part time professions, I could certainly perform, it could literally lose my coverage that pays for the ungodly expensive monthly infusions. I feel like my life is held hostage by American healthcare.)

You could also start writing stories and trying to grow a following on Royal Road, and not get involved in any of the monetary aspects of publishing. I published through Amazon but to be honest the money I make is almost not worth having to deal with the tax forms at the end of the year, since I have to prepare taxes in 2 countries and having foreign source income increases the chance of audits which is a headache I don't like to think about.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey thanks for the shoutout, Anvil! My thoughts about marketing on reddit are that the Fantasy community seems the most open to self published endeavors. There's a few high profile authors that have gone from self-publishing to traditional success, then there's dudes like the creator of Cradle who proves it can be profitable with the right content staying in self-publishing, and there's not the immediate recoil from self pub work as long as the author seems to have put the time in to prepare a polished manuscript and know the genre. My book fell off from its early numbers but still gets a few sales here and there and a few hundred KU page reads per week, and that probably wouldn't have happened without reddit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Leng posted:

I think a lot of your success came from the awesome cover you had too! But I think it was a hefty investment. Any idea on what your payback period is looking like?

Oh I'm never going to make that investment back. But it's alright, it was a personal project I'd been picking away at for a while as a hobby and got to involve my favorite artist in through a commission. Maybe if the book continues to sell its current numbers for 10 years I'll make it back.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Your background in accounting probably gives you a better sense of how business actually works and approach it as a profit-generating venture. Most people will just see the sticker price of "editing costs a few hundred, a cover could cost a few hundred, most Americans have less than one months rent in savings" and chalk that up to "privilege is necessary for publishing." Which, I suppose, is true that any sort of business endeavor take an appetite for risk that people who literally have no savings might not be able to shoulder, but.... I do think it dilutes the concept of privilege.

For example I approached my book as a pure vanity project, and I suppose if you don't bother coming up with a business plan for the book then yeah, you do need some capital of your own to risk on it. Not a problem in my case, overtime hours put in on doing vfx for some bad movies paid for all my publishing costs. If I was risking more i would have tried to consider how I was actually going to recoup investment.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 21, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

In my opinion, as someone who commissioned a book cover and who also works in the cg industry, this person does not yet have the skill level to charge those prices. For them it might make sense depending on how long it takes them. A contradiction among illustrators is the really pro ones have also gotten really fast, so they can charge $70 an hour but put out a book cover in 12 hours that will look light years better than an artist charging a smaller hourly amount but for whom it takes 40 hours to come up with something half decent.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I went to high school with a lot of people who now work at hedge funds or in tech for places like Meta and they all love Sanderson’s books and think nothing of spending like $300 on his kickstarters. I’ve recommended other fantasy novels like Baru Cormorant or even The First Law to them but the politics of those series rubs them the wrong way (these were people who were liberals in highschool but as they’ve accumulated wealth over the past 10 years have shifted toward the right.) Probably the only other fantasy novelist they’d drop that kind of cash on is Rothfuss but he is allergic to writing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

I also want to get a head start on the cover as I know that may take some time if I go down a custom route. I know Goonread is the bargain basement option, and actually had a couple of good, fitting, and catchy covers that have been taken :doom: Damonza doesn't have any budget covers that'll work, but I'll keep checking that page. Am I stuck at paying $400 for the cheap Damonza design option or is there a more reasonable option for me? I wouldn't know where to start finding a freelance artist, especially one who would come in under $400 while delivering quality work. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Contact artists you like that you might assume would be out of your price range. Thats what I did and my first choice actually was available. Nowadays he's too busy to do art for indies because he works on big titles like special editions of "Howl's Moving Castle", but there's a lot of great illustrators out there.

You could also try doing a cover with AI, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like this one the most. These things are always subjective though.