Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

Pillbug

Since we're coming upon that season stateside, here's a logistical question... Does Amazon provide a 1099-MISC statement or something similar to 'Murcans documenting your sales revenue for reporting to the IRS, or do you receive no such statements from them whatsoever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

The newer, dramatic dark/contrast adjustment does make the art pop. I don't care for the typography. This from someone who has yet to do a cover/blurb, but who buys a stupidly large number of books based on cover art. :negative:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

:drat: That's one sweet cover. I can't wait until I'm at that stage!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Came to learn the ropes of self-pubbing, stayed for the tax chat. :allears:

If I only wrote what I knew, I'd write about middle-aged office ladies issuing W-2c's.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Emotional resonance is trying to relate with someone as they foam about how you may have (obliviously) thwarted their attempt to commit tax evasion!

moana posted:

Hey now, I really liked DFW's The Pale King!

I want to read that, but part of me is concerned that it will be disconcertingly similar to my day to day. (There's also something unnerving about reading a final, incomplete work.)

Back to what started this... Are there seasonal sales swings for different genres? That might be some helpful info in figuring out when to pub. Marketing was my weakest b-school subject.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

a shameful boehner posted:

Am I missing the genre that shall not be named thread? Haven't been able to find it in CC and have a few questions to ask other writers.

I believe that direct discussion of the unspeakable genre has been banished from the forums. I think there's another forum where goons talk about it, but I don't actually know the URL.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And you don't stop until you wake up one morning with money coming out of your ears and a woman in new mexico accusing you of identity fraud.

Wait, what? Is this a thing that happened to you? That sounds like a story.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

So how gloomy is the forecast for fantasy writers? All this super-romance is making me sad that I don't get much enjoyment from trying to write that super-genre. I'm almost done with my first revisions of this manuscript and I've got a couple other projects hanging around that I need to bang the rest of the way out. Soon it'll be time to revisit my blurb and sweat over cover art...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

I honestly don't know the fantasy forecast. Have you looked at the Top 100 and the Hot New Releases charts to see if there are any self-pubs in it? How are they ranked compared to other genres in the overall store?

Top 100 in fantasy/sci-fi is jpacked with paranormal shaper-shifter super-romance. :negative: It's not totally hopeless, though.

e: I should clarify--not totally hopeless for someone not including super-romance in their work.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Wait, I thought bared chests were strictly verboten. There's a lot of man-cleavage on those covers.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Thought there was some pedophilia stuff, too. Like a user's guide. :iit:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EngineerSean posted:

I think its still up there. I don't know, whats next? Picketty's capitalism? Pieces critical of Paul Ryan or Abraham Lincoln? How-to guides on purchasing weed? If it doesn't break a US law, how much control do we really want Amazon to have over what we read?

I mean, a how-to on grooming minors so you can do terrible things is really toeing that legal line. Comparing it to something like :420: buyer's guide isn't a great analogy. Limiting advertisement of bodice rippers over man nipple covers is loving silly; telling Gacy that he can't put his 12 easy steps to boy flesh book up is something else.

:ohdear: Maybe that was sarcasm? My detector is weak by day's end.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 24, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Handling US taxation of foreign nationals is actually my day job. Here's a useful resource for those of you who are citizens of other countries but do independent contracting or wind up employed here.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

angel opportunity posted:

Do you make your "also by" and "about the author" etc. pages in Scrivener also? Or do you make them later with something else?

You can make those in Scrivener as well, actually.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Any non-Americans filled out the tax info for Amazon and know how to get a copy of the electronic form they sent in? I want to sign up to D2D and smashwords etc but I'd like to use my existing.. tax.. numbers or whatever. Can't find it on KDP.

Your EIN or your ITIN? You'll probably need to contact the IRS if you're talking about a US taxpayer identification number/employer identification number. Keep a hard copy of IRS communications in the future, though. I recommend putting them in a safe, lockbox, or safety deposit box. 1099-MISC forms for 2015 won't be out til January or February 2016. If you received one from Amazon for tax year 2014, you should see your tax ID number on it...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

I love Scrivener and the only thing that would improve it for me is being able to sync poo poo to my google drive.

e: also thanks for the reminder to get Battuta's book! Hell yes!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

I'm holding my breath for all-star bonuses, but last month was about $16,400 for me. My wife's student loan is DEAD. :toot:

That's awesome! (And motivating.)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

magnificent7 posted:

Thanks for this, and I get it. But was your first book published in less than an hour, including coffee? I'm sure I'll get there.

Do you also have set-up fees from Booktrope to cover before you start receiving royalties?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EngineerSean posted:

He said no and I believe it but that doesn't provide much comfort.

I know Booktrope doesn't demand separate payments from the author, but my understanding is that they have a whole list of individual charges that have to be covered by a book's earnings before the author starts seeing royalty payments. That information was not available on their public-facing website last I checked, it seems to be provided strictly via e-mail.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Is it a decline, or is the self-pub economy maturing? Expanding services from maturing businesses is pretty normal.

Maybe I'm being over-optimistic.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

same

I actually don't use character profiles. Do you find them useful as you're writing a story, or is this just a way to gather your thoughts before you start?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am bad at writing more and that makes me a bad writer and a bad person.

Help me with ways I can trick myself into writing a minimum wordcount each day.

Some of us are rabid for the pomodoro technique, named for some dude's tomato-shaped timer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique

It helps to break down a task into manageable chunks -- whether that's a sub-task necessary for the whole, or just designating a set time or amount of time in which you're only going to focus on writing your words.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Nice! I snapped up the KU edition. Glad to see your rank is improving.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is goodreads trolling still a thing?

I'm not really sure! That whole drama seems to have many parts. Review trolling is still a thing, period, but as for GR being an extremely bad example right now... Seems to depend on who you ask.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

brotherly posted:

brotherly is right about all things!!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

gerg_861 posted:

In modern London, American ex-pat Julian Adler is struggling to balance a fast rising career in procurement, a young family and the incredible secret that he spends his sleeping hours slaying other people's nightmares.

This series of things violates parallelism. You want to exploit parallel construction in blurbs, especially when you're trying to first build sympathy (young family! Career success!) and then finish with the clincher (dream job!).

American ex-pat Julian Adler is struggling to balance building a prestigious career, caring for his new family, and hiding an incredible secret -- that he moonlights as a nightmare-slayer!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

gerg_861 posted:

But parallelisms draw people in, hold their attention and create suspense.

Only if you're actually following the rules of parallel construction when you write; your blurb has numerous violations of parallelism. It's a key element of style that you should master.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

This is pretty much the scenario described by any game theory simulation on price-setting that runs serial games. The problem is that any given player (individually) has a great deal to gain by "betraying" other players and dropping their price point to undercut them all and get the most sales. In subsequent games, other players will follow that lead. In the end, the only way to reset the game is for enough players to leave. That way the supply dries up and the surviving players can push their prices up without killing demand.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

brotherly posted:

That brings up issues of risk and future career development (ie, if I quit and do this full time and fail, what are my job options?? I have a nice, fat gap on my resume, with only "Smut Extraordinaire" written in comic sans italic pink, but who wants to hire the Smut Lord?) but I don't know, there's risk in any career, especially in anything self employed. We bitch and moan about Amazon and yeah Amazon is poo poo but every industry has their ups and downs. Risk management is the name of the game.

Popping in to address this issue specifically: if you job seek after a year or two of trying out authorship-only work, reframe it as running your own small business, because that is what you are as a self-publishing author - a sole proprietor. There's no dishonor in failing nobly. If you can account for what you did during that time (developed marketing skills, copywriting, accounting, vendor and supplier management, blah blah blah revenue numbers), it's actually a good thing to include on your resume. As always, I recommend checking what Allison at AskAManager.org says about how to account for a gap year/small business on your job applications.

Naturally this advice is not applicable if you fail because you spent your time playing Modern Warfare and Fallout 4.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Yooper! I've been meaning to ask you -- are you using any promo services for your sf work or are you steamrolling the market on name recognition now? I've got a fantasy piece I'll probably push Q1 2016 and I'm looking for more targeted promo/ad services.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Yeah, a quick GIS says this is explicitly a WH40K tech priest: http://thedurrrrian.deviantart.com/art/Tech-Priest-Inquisitor-540467902 -- You wouldn't be able to get away with this for long if the book it covered was remotely successful. Fan art as a cover? Not even once.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

I use habitica.com as a motivational tool. I can't remember if I've mentioned it here before. It lets you gamify lists of ad hoc and periodic tasks and dresses it up in a cute RPG skin. I combine it with some other techniques to keep me on target; I find it works pretty great for me. You can join guilds, pick up challenges, do quests, create parties, or just have minimal involvement and use it as a fun to-do list.

The other things I use include pomodoro (mentioned in the fiction advice thread quite a bit) and Jennifer Dziura's (of Get Bullish) principle of doing only things which are very productive or very pleasurable -- and where possible, reducing pain points by making unpleasant but necessary tasks more endurable. Why not soak my feet in a hot bath with some mint tea thrown in while I work on these revisions for the umpteenth goddamn time? Morale management is also important.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

EngineerSean posted:

I work from home and my wife just doesn't get this at all, it's insane. I've had to declare my office a no-wife zone and that just pisses her off more.

I've tried to do the same with my other half. :bang:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

I think this blog post from SBTB is pretty relevant to the issue of reader criticism regardless of your chosen genre.

http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2014/10/the-choices-of-kathleen-hale/

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe, have you given the monthly Long Walk challenges a shot? The risk is that if you fail to hit your writing goal during the month, you get a toxx ban in the end.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Aaronicon posted:

I'd say that the vast majority of classical literature comes from a combination of the author not getting any action in the first place, and then eventually dying of a venereal disease, so yeah not great advice.

Stop sharing my plans with CC.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Bardeh posted:

Welcome to waking up late and sitting around all day in your underwear. :getin:

I mean, maybe some people still retain some semblance of a normal-person routine, but that's my life these days.

This is pretty much my new work life now that I've also joined the self-employed ranks. Plus a bathrobe.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Blue Scream posted:

My accountant told me it's best to make yourself look as much like a business as possible to claim all those sweet sweet tax deductions without getting boned by the IRS.

Your accountant is warning you about the IRS's treatment of hobbies that provide some income versus an actual going concern (a business).

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/Five-Basic-Tax-Tips-about-Hobbies

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Confuckingrats!

I finished my very first full length novel last night, for my new PNR pen name, so it will definitely not be a hit. But hey, I'm one novel closer to my first hit than I was yesterday. :unsmith:

Hey, first romance novel done last night buddy. :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just write, stockpile your works and then publish when your visa situation changes.

I'm going to second this. AO can speak more authoritatively on visas than I can, but my last job included visa-holder labor compliance; if your visa says no self-employment, don't. Are you trying to avoid the 30 day cliff? Or are you just itching to pull the trigger on something?