Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:

Can the romance authors here give a rundown of the best times to release a book over the next few months? I'm trying to get my act together in time for Kindlemas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

All Else Failed posted:

goonwrite.com - As premade covers, does that mean the point is to just pick a cover, buy it, and build a story around it? That sounds kinda fun, like beating challenges in a video game.

I had a pretty easy time finding one that would work for a romance I already had in mind, but you could definitely use them as prompts if you wanted to, and it's a pretty fun site to browse. Some of them should be written just as they are.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

Anyone who wants a good overview of the romance genre and how to write it should check out On Writing Romance. It's a whole Romance 101 course in book form with lots of specific advice, excerpts and checklists. Beyond Heaving Bosoms, by the founders of the great Smart Bitches, Trashy Books site, is a much lighter but still very informative take on the genre and its tropes. There's even a Choose Your Own Adventure section. :v: Aside from the books, you can get a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't just from going to that site and looking through the F and DNF reviews vs. the As and Bs. I still love it that they were just too bored to finish Fifty Shades, back when it seemed like everyone on the internet would not shut up about how it signaled the end of English literature, or possibly the world.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

Would you say one of those newsletters was more effective than the other? I did Fussy Librarian recently and got almost 2000, but I've heard Freebooksy is bigger, so I'm wondering if I should try them next.

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, Freebooksy would be a major splurge for me right now, but if I do end up trying it with this book, I'll definitely let everybody know how it goes. I know I need to have more than one book out under that pen name before I start spending too much money on it or actually making money from it, though. The point of this promo was really to get more readers and reviewers, so it's working out pretty well despite not turning out to be the magical sales generator that finally frees me from my roommates. My other name already has something out, so I might end up running these promos for something completely different first.