Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

technofiend
Jan 3, 2012
The posts above about blog buddies reminded me of the latest Writing Excuses Podcast (MP3 link) where a book publicist mentioned one of her jobs was arranging "blog tours" for newly released books. Since you guys are self-publishing and always looking for new venues, maybe you could recycle the blog ring concept and have goon writers link to each other?

I am envisioning a widget you include on your own blog that randomly links to another self-pub blogger. If you don't care for that, there's always what Scalzi does where he just mentions another author he likes and links to their book.

Without volunteering to bell the cat, as it were, arranging for goon visits to each others' blogs would also be good. The publicist mentioned preparing three or four guest pieces you can hand off to fellow bloggers. The only real issue besides driving off your own readers if it comes off as a puff piece or astroturfing effort is that parity is tough to maintain. Some of you (Hard Luck Hank's author) may have many times the number of readers than the next guy. I think you'd have to limit the quantity of cross-promotion just to keep your own readers interested and not have them consign you to the spam bucket.

technofiend fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU