Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Still reading the thread (on p38), but am increasingly motivated to turn my fanfic into a serial :D Getting lots of ideas from posters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Just make the guy a billionaire instead of a vampire and be ready to cash comically large checks.

She is a space-billionaire, so Im ahead there! :v:

fruit loop posted:

I thought serials didn't sell anymore and you have to do 50k-word romance (and do it really, really well) if you want to make even a couple thousand per month?

More precisely, I have ~375k words in TG, and am ramping up to get to 500k (mil scifi). My understanding is that packaging it in 20k serials would be the most optimal, but I am open to advice :D Im a disabled vet and rent is no issue, any sales would be beer money/student loans or whatever.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yooper posted:

Yo, I do milscifi and I'm not aware of any serials that are rocking it. Look at the top milscifi guys and no one is doing 10k serials. Everyone is doing 70k-100k per novel series.

Not saying you won't sell well, but you may discover more impact with a traditional length story.

It would certainly be cheaper that way, and there are some natural breaks around those areas. My readers were concerned that if I made a big slab of a book and it didn't sell, it would be more disheartening than having ~20 products. Although making 3 larger books and slabbing together for an omnibus does have appeal.

I'd need to check the actual distro rights, a reader commissioned this for me. But, thoughts as a cover?

And in stained glass