Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I found beta readers on https://www.reddit.com/r/BetaReaders/. Yes, I know itís reddit, but they were actually very good. And quick. Your blurb needs to be interesting and the readers skew towards fantasy/sci-fi genres, but it wasnít hard to get good responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

You are making me never, ever want to self-publish anything. Which is probably whatís best for everyone

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

If he's the one who wants a print edition with a back cover, tell him to make time for it or shut up, lol.

Uh, yeah, absolutely this. Iíve done plenty of covers and the back was always quick as long as no one wanted any new art. He should be able to fit it in.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I appreciate the recs.

Here's the pitch from my query letters/in person script:

Flint, the son of a feral cat chief, is doomed. Assassins hired by rival heirs hunt him; a doomsday cult, the Golden Circle, summons terrors from a dead future; and the American Civil War descends on Flintís city, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

In the middle of a Union naval raid on the riverfront, assassins attack Flint. Kulke, an old war ally, saves him. To pay his life-debt, Flint enlists in Kulkeís religious order, the Ratkillers, for a mission beneath the city, to disrupt a Golden Circle summoning ritual. Flint, Kulke, and their allies fail their mission. Monsters embodying the horrors of Late Capitalismóglobal warming, white supremacy, the surveillance state, among othersóemerge from the underworld to destroy the secret societies of cats.

Flintís conscience wonít allow him to flee Vicksburg alone, but time is running out on the doomed city. To save his family, Flint must return home to face ruthless political enemies. To save his best friend, he must join the war against the Golden Circle and their army of drowned dogs, possessed rats, and insane cats. To save a love lost to the cult, Flint may have to become a lost cause himself. To save them all, he must find the one force that can contend with the madness of the cult: Solidarity.

SIEGE CATS is a gritty, urban, left-wing Warriors, with a mature style like The Wicked Deep and The Night Circus, where cats battle time-traveling forces of Late Capitalism, connecting readersí experiences of contemporary issues with the enduring legacy of slavery.

Okay. I missed the fact that they were cats at first and was very confused.

This doesnít read like a YA pitch to me at all. It reads more like a political allegory. But with cats. Iíd be expecting something more like Animal Farm. I canít see how this would appeal to a YA audience. I probably donít know what Iím talking about, though, so feel free to disregard.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng, Iím enjoying (sort of?) reading about your struggles. Very informative, if daunting.

Iím also thinking about covers. Considering drawing my own for my crappy novel, even though illustrated covers are not the genre convention. Unless itís a book featuring a witch protagonist in a cozy mystery, which mine is not. I realize thatís probably shooting myself in the foot. Maybe Iíll just draw it and see if I hate it.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

ravenkult posted:

What's the genre?

Iím actually not sure of the right genre yet. Paranormal mystery? Psychic detective? Sci-fi mystery? Mystery? Police procedural? It doesnít fit neatly into any of those, although there are very similar book series in each of those categories.

Still, none of those have illustrated covers as the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Dumb question incomingÖ

Is there a way to see what keywords or categories people are using for their books on Amazon? Iím trying to figure out keywords for mine and itís a confusing mess. Like, there are some appropriate ones if you search in the kindle section, but not in books, or vice versa. Some books that are very close to mine have seemingly nonsensical tags or categories: ĎVampire Fictioní for a book with no vampires in it, for example. If I search in books for Ďpsychic detectiveí I get a few books like mine, but if I search in kindle for Ďpsychic detectiveí I get nothing but erotica shorts (not even paranormal mystery, just random erotica, no psychics, no detectives).

I knew this would be a slog because I already have trouble searching out books I want to read on Amazon using keywords.