Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

How do self published horror novels do on Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

I'm working on a blog geared towards horror/thriller short stories. Let me know if anyone working in similar genres wants some free back links to their author websites.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

It takes a while to build a blog that gets decent traffic, but yeah it makes sense to use your already existing author blog. I think your best bet is to do both. Publish your content on your blog then try to find popular genre websites where you can post your best shorts. You need to find one where they allow you to link back to your blog. You can also try to find relevant subreddits to post your content if they allow you to link back to your blog in the post.

I'm building a genre blog right now. My plan is to publish my short stories as a free collection and use that to encourage visitors to sign up for my email list. Plan to start working on a full length novel in November.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Are successful self-pubbed novels written in first or third person?

I've been writing a bunch of short stories in the first person for my blog, and I find it much, much easier than writing in the third person.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

I have a short story blog that gets about 100-200 unique visits a day. I want to monetize it. Obviously I should just write my own ebook and pimp it through my site. I've started outlining a young adult horror story, but the going is slow. In the mean time, is there a way that I can join a book blog network or sell adspace directly to authors/publishers in the same genre as me? Or is that a waste of time and I should just focus on writing my book?

edit: I only have about 15 stories. Maybe I should focus on writing more stories on my site, and then publishing those stories as a free collection on Amazon? Could be a good way to cut my teeth on the self publishing process while adding more content to my blog.

laxbro fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2015

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WRAX6MA

Published a collection of short stories I wrote on my blog. Thirteen stories. 74 pages (~27k words). Couldn't put it on select since I have the stories published on my blog. 99c, might raise it to 2.99 after I promote it to my blog's mailing list (130 subscribers).

My blurb is poo poo. I modeled it off a seemingly successful collection of short stories, but kind of half-assed it.

Thirteen "true life" horror stories told in the first person. Are they fact or faction? You will have to decide for yourself...

Man Hunt - A young man from a small town learns that the ultra wealthy of New York City have a sick hobby.

Adoption From Hell - A young couple adopts a demonic boy from Russia.

The Basement - Four misguided teens find more than they bargained for in a burglary gone wrong.

Snowbound - A young family inherits an old mansion and finds out that they are not alone.

Organ Harvest - A slacker get himself into a bit of trouble when he tries to make some fast cash.

Clown Stalker - Ever had the feeling that someone was watching you?

Last Year's Halloween - Halloween brings yearly horror to a small town.

Cannibalism in the Andes - A firsthand account of a man's fall from grace.

How I Escaped from a Cult - A girl details her attempt at escaping from a twisted cult.

They Call It Alien Hand Syndrome - A real illness, but is it a true story?

I Found Something Living in my Attic - Something terrifying lurks above.

Aunt Sheryl - A boy is sent to live with his evil Aunt.

A Captain's Last Moments - Piracy on the high sea. A captain records his final moments.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thanks for the tips and reality checks. I deleted my stories off my blog.

Thanks for the cover praise! Can't take credit for it though, I bought it from GoOnWrite.com for $40 bucks. He has a lot of crappy covers, but a fair amount of good ones cycle through.

I improved my blurb, how's this?

Thirteen creepy tales await you in this bone-chilling collection of "true life" horror stories. There's a story here for everyone twisted cults, demented billionaires, sick serial killers, and evil relatives haunt and hunt the young heroes of each story. What are you afraid of...

laxbro fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 28, 2015

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Do you guys pay for advertising, or do you just put in the effort with free promotions and and tricks to get a high category rank?

edit: My collection of short stories is off to a good start. Have 8 sales (@ 2.99) so far today plus a few KU reads, hope to keep it up until I can get a second volume out.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

A couple years ago I read an awesome sci-fi book about a warring species of telekenetic dogs. A human crashlands on their plannet and builds a radio for one of the dog armies etc etc. I think it was nominated for a hugo award but I can't remember the name of it and google is failing me.

My collection of short stories is doing decent. Have made 100 bucks so far! I'm having a tough time motivating myself to write when I come home from work, so I'm thinking that I might try writing in the morning before work.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Blue Scream posted:

This is the only thing that works for me. I'm wrecked at the end of the day. Set the alarm to get up earlier, have coffee ready to brew, and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes--especially because the first task of the day is now something you actually look forward to :)

Yea! I'm definitely a morning person. I'm gonna wake up at 5 instead of 6 and start sipping on my thermos of coffee. Won't do it 5 days a week, since I just started a new job and need to be on the ball. Writing is only a hobby right now, but you guys making 4+ figure months have me dreaming!

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

My first month isn't over yet, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Wish I had taken my stories off my blog and thrown them into an ebook earlier. Working (slowly) on the next collection of short stories now, and hope to get a full length YA thriller out in time for Halloween.

I also hope to flex my rapidly growing email subscription list better next time. Kind of screwed up with this book by setting it at .99 and just asking my email list to buy it even though they had already read all the stories since they were previously posted on my blog. On the next book I will set it to free next time and ask them to review it!

laxbro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 28, 2015

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

What do you have book report's borrow price set at?

1.34?

edit: which is what book report is automatically set to.

laxbro fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 28, 2015

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

A Bluetooth keyboard synced to a phone/tablet with google docs also works well.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Sundae posted:

Can anyone recommend some good recent sci-fi? I want to read something that isn't romance, and I'm kinda sick of Asimov right now.

Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Malloreon posted:

I wouldn't call that recent. I think I remember reading Hyperion 20 years ago.

Well, it's recent compared to Asimov. I've recommended it to a bunch of friends wanting read scifi that isn't Enders Game or Asimov, and they alway come back raving about it. Great place to start for budding scifi dorks.

It's great scifi, and written really well too. Simmons is a great author to follow and learn from since he's had a great deal of success across a variety of genres.

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

With GoOnWrite you have to check his site pretty much every day to get first dibs on the good ones. I bought one a few months ago, when he posted about 12 new covers. 4 of those covers were great and well worth the $45 and were sold by the next day.

So if you only check his site every so often, you will likely only see the crap that no one wants to buy, unless you get lucky and visit on a day that he posts a new batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laxbro
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Bushmaori posted:

1: Can anybody recommend a good website which can help in giving away free versions of my ebooks? I am currently trying out Inkitt, but I would like to expand this if possible.
2: What is the deal with websites which already claim to be giving away my work for free? Obviously, the majority of these such as: http://robbvill.info/ebook/76062-Th...orld-Prima.html are scams. It's simple to understand this by the comments and descriptions, which look auto-generated. Are there any out there that are legitimate, though? I would like to get ahead of these if possible to prevent them from being released in places without my permission.

I would use draft2digital to publish on a variety of platforms. I got a few thousand free downloads that way. If you have a good cover and a decent blurb people will download it - whether they actually read it is another question. If I remember correctly most of the free downloads came from the apple ibook store.