Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Really it comes down to having honest critics in your life. My girlfriend is probably the opposite of what you said. She hasn't got much idea about spelling, grammar and so on, but she will say how boring/slow/unentertaining something is right to your face.

Pity she refuses to read my work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

A few questions.

First, how did most of you guys get started? Did you have a job and do it on the side, or do you still do that? What are the bestselling categories? If I were to take this up I would start pumping out SFF books for YA and adult, but I wonder how strong that area is for self-pubbers compared to erotica, romance and crime thrillers.

Second, how many of you hire people to edit? Would you consider hiring a person to do editing? I'm interested if there is a market to specifically target self-publishers with editing services, possibly other services as well if they aren't interested in publicity and the technical side of things (and then also ghost-writing). Basically the benefits of a publisher without being locked into a contract and only having to do one-off payments.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

The more I read about self-pubbing and this thread, the more I want to give up my day job and just tackle this. But I think a more sensible approach would be for 2 novels next year while working full time.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

I figure this is the best place to ask.

I am looking at doing Amazon promotions for the publishing companies I work for, but I can't work out how to do so!

So far I have worked out that in Vendor Central you have to go to Contact Us (I did this to ensure pre-orders for some books) but then am not sure what to do from there.

How do I set a free period? How can I sign up for deal of the day? What other options are there?

If anyone knows it will be self-pubbing goons!