Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I am looking to self-publish something minor, and would like to use a pen-name/pseudonym. Amazon's policies are woefully unclear on this (as far as I have found).

If I were to use a pseudonym, would it be possible to see the "account" that published the story (I.E., my real name)? Is it safe to use the Amazon account I use for buying things from Amazon, or should I make an entirely new account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

People mentioned earlier in the thread that some obscure websites sometimes have huge sales on Scrivener. Any sales like that going on right now? I'd love to try it out but don't really want to spend $30 on it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Right, that's why I didn't buy it when it was posted last page -- it was a mac software site. Lo and behold I should have looked closer, they also sell the PC version and it is the latest update (as far as I can tell, unless I'm missing something).

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

I'm not ending it.

:stare:

I really rarely post in this thread, but I read every post, and holy poo poo dude.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I have a silly stupid question for the thread, and I apologize if it was answered elsewhere. Is it possible to publish through Amazon, Apple, et. al, and in such away that you can be totally certain you won't make any money? I ask because I want to get back into writing but I'm living and working abroad and a condition of my visa is that I not make any money from anything else, even working for myself.

I'm curious, why do you want to publish, then?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

Been waiting for y'all to bring it up. I'm sad they closed, they helped me get my book out. And I'm glad they closed up so I don't feel so bad about not using them for my second book... assuming I ever get around to finishing it.

I still don't feel like I got suckered into anything. They did what they said they'd do. It was a great experience for somebody who'd never written/published a book.

But yes, looking back, I probably learned more from this thread than I have from them.

Now, go buy my book. Daddy needs a new stick of gum.

I casually read this thread and it's absolutely mindboggling to me that you still think you're getting a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

freebooter posted:

It's not, I'm sort of banking on the idea that people want pretty much more of the same. From wading through all the stuff on Amazon I'd say the difference is that it is (or is an attempt at) a more "realistic" survival situation which relies on a lot of luck rather than the protagonists being ex-Army survivalists with a fully stocked stronghold in Montana. But I find it difficult to emphasise that in a blurb. Actually I find it difficult to doa blurb full stop - I was quite surprised by how hard it is to distil everything into a couple of paragraphs.

For what it's worth, I'm very interested in this. I read a lot of post-apocalypse fiction and "true" survival stories are rare. It's always something ridiculous like a heavily trained/armed squad of super soliders, or someone with special powers who is able to survive things that a normal person would die from, or someone who due to a circumstance is immune to the virus/infection/bad thing, or is conveniently somewhere that's heavily fortified and supplied when things get bad... you get the idea.

An apocalypse story that features average people trying to survive would be a sale from me, at least!