Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Well, the cover's good, I laughed out loud at the "Look Inside!" excerpt and I just grabbed it on my Kindle Unlimited and will spend actual hours of my life upping your KU page count.

So I think you've got a clearly good book with a great cover there, so you've met the quality bar and 100% of your problem is cracking how to market it ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

feedmyleg posted:

Thanks for the advice, all. Just essentially needed to hear that my experience wasn't outside of the norm and I shouldn't give up on the marketing attempt yet. It's just a bummer that writing a (by all accounts) good book in a popular sub-genre with an attractive pitch isn't enough to get a bare minimum of readership. Yesterday was a repeat of Monday with throwing money at zero sales across multiple advertising platforms. But hey, at least a decent number of people liked and loved my ads overnight 😒

Exmond posted:

I think what you have is extraordinarily good, and that what you are struggling with is just a sign of the times. It's hard to get people interested in reading, and even harder to ask them to try out your first book.

yeah it is. Nothing's wrong with the book, you just ("just") haven't cracked how to market the drat thing.

Get people writing reviews. Get your friends, acquaintances, dentist's dog etc to write reviews of it - Amazon, Goodreads, Facebook, do people even have frickin blogs any more, etc. Stress the Kindle Unlimited aspect.

You won't get rich out of it, but you may get your name out there.

Heck, do you have a local newspaper? Call and see if they want to fill a space. TRY IT ALL.

edit: also i just tweeted it so there, get your volunteer shills to do that too

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1193290704627347456

divabot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2019

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Death Ray posted:

Dare I ask if graphic novels are appropriate for this thread?

by all means, if you're self-publishing it!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Icon-Cat posted:

Had me a little hard drive scare this past week… but not _too_ scary, because I am religious about making backups! Not one file or word lost. But use my misfortune to your advantage: if you aren't confident you have backups of all your stuff, why not take a little time this week to get that done?

nothing quite like discovering that Dropbox wasn't actually enabled and running on the laptop you've spent many hours during the last month building up the LibreOffice documents for your next book ... (shudder) it is now

so, go check your :yaybutt: storage is active and working, ok

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm making my books free this week. For Corona virus people at stuck home.

as of about an hour ago, that's the whole uk!

(well, they're recommending work from home where at all possible. I expect an enforced lockdown this week.)

got a link? social media etc?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
UK LOCKDOWN SLAMS DOWN!!

so, yeah. This is a good time to get books out on Kindle for the cooped up with the family market, who are gonna need something to distract them from wanting to stab each other.

Print, I'm not so sure about - Amazon has already stopped restocking physical books, because they're going essentials ASAP.

Not sure how Kindle Print, formerly our slightly beloved Createspace, figures into that tho. Anyone know?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm probably better off getting a cover designer for $100.

this is the answer about 95% of the time, or probably more than that

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
fwiw, i was horribly blocked on my next book and then I did a mind map and an outline and now it's CRANKING AHEAD

I tried doing a daily twitter thread of my wordcount. Seems to be working to get me writing just so i don't post "0 words" too often. Including on-topic blog posts, though 1000 blog words is as much work as 200 book words. Currently bogged down in summarising a couple of six-hour House/Senate hearings, because they're absolute gold. (The book is about Facebook's Libra crypto coin BS, and I'm stunned at the bipartisan loathing of Facebook, and cribbing good lines from the honorable gentlemen and gentlewomen. It turns out politicians are good talkers, and boy can they show it when they're pissed.)

so if you, uh, "tweet", try a daily word count thread, it works for me and others

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
*puff puff* finished draft of the second book !!!!! :dance:

the first book was ridiculously successful (11,000+ sales self-published - I have published friends who went "holy poo poo" at that) 'cos I accidentally timed a niche perfectly - it was about why bitcoin is stupid, and came out as the 2017 bitcoin bubble was accelerating

the second probably won't do as well - but it's a bit more mainstream, it's about Facebook's dumb cryptocurrency idea Libra

Writing method: start, write 40k words of text that wasn't a book but nevertheless had hundreds of footnotes. Have writer's block for three months. Mind-map ideas, make those an outline. Start a word count thread on Twitter, post to it EVERY DAY. This last worked.

Currently circulating the draft amongst friends and fans. It's here if you're overwhelmed with curiosity.

So I hope to have this out as soon as possible. ... I don't even have the title fixed yet. Working title is "Libra Unbalanced" but I don't like it. Also, my cover artist is AWOL *aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa* Also, I need a cover idea that won't get Facebook suing me for trademark violation. (yes yes I know nominative use but this will absolutely piss them off a whole lot in finely needling detail)

also I have to organise the promotion, get the serious people in serious financial publications to cover it (i.e. work my contacts - I've spent the past three years being a media pundit at every opportunity, for this moment) - now having flashbacks to the first weeks of the first book being out ... did u kno that publishers actually do things, and if you don't have one then you have to do them all?

also I should create the Amazon listing and rack up some presales

also laying out the print version

also I will need to record the audiobook without trashing my voice

*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*

So! pretty normal for self-publishing really!

the first book did well and made me the go-to media guy for this cryptocurrency nonsense. I have had a flat zero inquiries from publishers or agents, in three years. I'm figuring a lot of common ideas on the publishing world are basically myths, and nobody knows anything.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

I have no advice for you - I suspect you're the most successful and accomplished of any of us who still post here - but well done and good luck!

I assure you, my Secret for $UCCE$$ is: pick your lottery numbers correctly

I literally expected to sell a few hundred copies, I woulda called that a big win ... then I randomly hit the timing jackpot

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

Yeah, to be fair, I've written a book that was sitting around 145 Kindle pages and I had a review or two which, while still positive, said something along the lines of "even though this book is short some of it probably could have been trimmed down."

yeah, read enough books that taught me:

* filler is always bad
* any work of any length can suffer from filler

don't ever do filler, check anything isn't filler

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

I've run that blog since long before I was self pubbing but the age of blogs is over - I mostly just write it for myself now. I do keep my pen name separate from my real name but not out of any particular concerns, I just don't have any reason to link them.

my blog is basically my marketing email list - I got like a sudden $50/mo of new Patreon signups because I said "$5-and-up patrons can read the early draft of the book"

(here's to them sticking around until 1st Oct!)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Breath Ray posted:

how much did you make from the book sales and have you been mentioned in the ft?

i made £23,000 writer income in 2017-2018, which is sales plus talks and stuff, so GODDAMN I DID WELL

(i do fully appreciate how lucky I was. i don't expect to repeat this without equivalent luck)

I made a point of answering every journalist call, and saying "yes" to every media request. this made me the crypto pundit, and got me into a really good author's income stream: doing talks and panels!! (goddamn 2020) and corporate consultation. I got $5000 from one gig to explain Libra to a company - equivalent to doing another successful book in the middle there.

i had charmed the FT Alphaville crew early on and my first real-world splash was going on an FTAV podcast :-D https://archive.is/2jfE9 https://soundcloud.com/user-544122300/gerardpod

CURRENT STATUS: spent this week thinking hard, going through suggested rewrites from early readers. Completely restructured some early chapters. Three separate early readers named one paragraph in chapter 5 as the point the book takes off, and answers the question "why are you telling me all of this" - I mean, it's good that I did at some point?

so I'm now doing a light rewrite of the first five or six chapters focusing on what the book is actually about : a worked example of a government finally saying "hell no" to Silicon Valley disruptors. Today's sentence i'm pleased with: "But it’s normal in Silicon Valley to propose an all-encompassing international system, and base it entirely on how things work in Palo Alto."

tl;dr I know I'm good, I also know I got SUPER lucky. so, uh, set up all your chances as best you can?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

What's your day job, if you don't mind sharing? I assume something in finance to give you the backgrounding to write the book in the first place?

Breath Ray posted:

thanks for your response. i had a look at your libra book and I think it's wonderful. is it going to be available in other languages?

e. hes a unix dude i think?

Day job is as a Linux sysadmin, yes indeed. That is, a large part of my job is sniffing out bullshit tech.

No sign of translators popping up, no. Though I want to do an audiobook this time around.

The draft has been revised - I finally worked out what the book was about! Which is a nice thing to work out before publication, if after writing it. It's the heartwarming tale of Silicon Valley techbros trying to pull a Disruption, and governments for once actually telling them "no."

I worked this out after three separate early readers picked the same paragraph in chapter 5 (20% of the way in) as being the point where the book really takes off:

quote:

This all points to the real attraction of the project for Facebook. Libra isn’t really for consumers — Libra is Facebook’s call to arms against the very notion of regulation. Facebook wants to be too big to regulate, and lead the way for its Silicon Valley fellows to be too big to regulate.

so I backtracked through the first four chapters to bludgeon that home a bit more.

I've been posting drafts to my Facebook, a slab a day, if you want more early previewing. I particularly recommend wtf is a Libra. Comments welcome, these will all be public.

Noobicide posted:

This is going to be a weird post. About two years ago I started writing a book that was basically Chapo Trap House fan fiction (plus some other podcasts, namely Cum Town, Comedy Bang Bang and Harmontown—all poorly disguised). It exploded from that into a sprawling satire something on the scale of (and with explicit references to) The Stand. It's called Beefsquad.

This book is unpublishable, but I still think some weirdos might like it. Basically it’s about a bunch of Frankenfood causing Armageddon. It gets way more complicated, but I’ll spare you.

It should be free with the kindle unlimited thing. Check out how lovely my cover is.

Anyway, I’m sorry if this breaks the rules. If no ones sees this or cares, that’s okay too. Here’s the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K8G2BBB/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=beefsquad&qid=1601336939&s=books&sr=1-1

the cover is indeed (meat and) potato quality, but you hooked me in the first few pages when I started making loud guffawing noises with my mouth.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
looks fine to me? Kindle Cloud Reader shot attached

Only registered members can see post attachments!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
my Libra book is up for preorder!! TELL EVERYONE U KNO

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/libra/

That's the Amazon blurb, which will also decorate the back cover of the paperback. Still workshopping and fine-tuning it - all suggestions are gratefully welcomed.

The draft has been revised and fine-tuned. I took down the previous one, but if you're bored or in need of distraction, (edit: nah make my own life easy) https://davidgerard.co.uk/lj/draft-2020-10-02.odt

now just nailbiting about the artwork, as one does

also, you can't put paperbacks up for preorder, and Amazon really don't like placeholder uploads - I guess cos there's been so many scams run through Createspace/Kindle Print. bah.

it got a kindle Best Seller rank in Social Networking when it had 11 presales

At this point, 95% of my problems are marketing and promotion. The other 5% are suddenly remembering all the poo poo I repressed about the painful mechanics of self-publishing given that computers should be assumed to be dogshit. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

divabot fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 3, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
AAAAHHHH YOU MF'ING MF AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

so! my book has cross-referenced footnotes. This is a standard thing in LO and Word - you want to reference a footnote or endnote twice, you make one proper reference and then you make cross-references to it.

Calibre used to handle these correctly when you generated an ePub - the cross-ref would link to the footnote/endnote, all good. Now, in 5.3 ... it doesn't. From DOCX the cross-ref goes to somewhere in the text, and from ODT it's just rendered as plain unlinked text.

Does anyone here:
(a) know WTF I'm babbling on about here
(b) know what was the last version of Calibre this worked properly in?

I have worked out how to fix it by hand if I have to. But I would prefer not to.

In happier news, my artist has got over her recent attack of Bloody 2020, and WE HAVE AN EBOOK COVER, and the CMYK paperback cover is actually gonna be even better:

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1321060497207287811

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
just posting to show off my latest beautiful darling child, the paperback arrived this morning. 8 paperback sales, 96 ebook presales. Release date is TOMORROW!

https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1322933651181588480

oh that stuff up there where I'm whining about ePubs? yeah, forget that, it got considerably worse. Short rant here. I'll write it up in detail, which may be useful or may just frighten the crap out of everyone.

abske_fides posted:

Is it okay to post in this thread when wanting to do an art periodical? I mostly see Blurb being mentioned for anything visual.
I'm wondering about POD services especially for Europe, and really no need for Amazon or something of the kind. This is the type of publication where we might get extra economic support from cultural institutions as well but really just thinking about probably 50-100 copies of something that's 60-70 pages with lots of visuals. Definitely a plus if it's possible to include a CD or DVD. ISSN/ISBN/ISRC and all of that would be done independently from the POD service. And we would be working in InDesign as well. We would be selling the thing at events and through our own online BigCartel powered site.
Thanks for any info :)

I don't know the answer either, but sure, that's legit :-) So really you just want to know who does print-on-demand colour that's good, and who also doesn't charge an arm and a leg for short runs?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

angel opportunity posted:

I actually stopped posting on SA because I got so tied up in self-publishing that I didn't have time to post here anymore...

I thought I'd drop back in here with some sales numbers!

holy crap, well done!

abske_fides posted:

Yeah basically. And I don't mean cheap to the point that it's ridiculous but best price to quality ratio.

so I asked publishing friends on Twitter, and the answers to try for short-run full colour were:

* Lulu
* BookBaby
* maybe Comic Printing UK?

Lulu are a bit huge to talk to, but BookBaby and CPUK apparently respond well to customers.

I have heard bad things about CreateSpace and full colour - but that was a few years ago, I don't know if they've improved.

Obviously, none of this will be cheap, but hopefully it won't be crippling.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Here is a long rambling post on the stupid poo poo I actually did to get my ePub into suitable shape.

Big issues were:

1. something that reliably passes epubcheck
2. something that works on FBReader (my favoured ebook viewer on Android)
3. how to fix up conversion glitches, 'cos they're gonna happen.

I did nerd out way harder than any reasonable person should, because I could basically.

I don't mean to scare anyone who hasn't done this stuff! You can go on Kindle, Smashwords and Draft2Digital with just a Microsoft Word DOCX file and a front cover.

I'm sure nobody does all the weird poo poo I did in the real world. So what do the people here use to generate an ePub that passes epubcheck? What's your production pipeline for a book?

divabot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 6, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Icon-Cat posted:

Another one of my cute li'l stories ready to go and free through Sunday the 13th. Yes, a mere twenty-three years after the launch of the franchise, I came up with a Potter spoof.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PHWKDL3/

So I'm gonna ask how you do your cover! I thought "oh that's a nice find in stock photo land" and then I see there's credits for like fourteen source photos. Are you assembling your own covers or getting an artist in or what?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Icon-Cat posted:

This particular cover's complexity is a bit of an anomaly, normally I don't need more than a coupla images, but for this project it was either put something together from spare parts or see if Mary GrandPré was taking commissions. :eek:

I do my covers myself. (Yes, of course, most writers shouldn't, but Photoshop is part of my day job, so if I'm not the greatest at least I'm not the worst… I'm actually more of a professional graphics guy than I am a professional fiction writer, maybe I should hire an outside writer!) I have a fondness for the weird world of stock photos, which makes the experience pleasant.

One side benefit of doing my own covers is it forces me to consider, what am I trying to get across here, how would I sum up my tone in an image—I work on the cover _as_ I am writing (or often even before!), and if I can't create a visual that says to my satisfaction, "yes, that'll tell people what I'm trying to do", it's a good sign that something's equally unclear in the writing and ought to be addressed.

being literally professionally qualified to do your own covers is some sort of self-pub holy grail

(currently nagging my artist to get writing stuff for this reason)

Icon-Cat posted:

Plus occasional speaking gigs, nothing fancy, a hundred there, two hundred there, a little help boosting my other projects… I imagine by the time I'm dead I'll have made more off the opportunities it brought me than I ever did in actual book sales. TGOL has never made me enough to bump me into a higher tax bracket, but who gives a poo poo about the loving marmot.

yeah, the nodding-and-smiling racket is where the money is in writing IME. (So 2020, been a bit of an arse in that regard.)

divabot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 10, 2020

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Draft2Digital has just dropped 24Symbols as a distributor, no reason given. Anyone have any idea why?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
best I've found:

* black and white line art
* hand-edit the epub with arcane XHTML trickery - a construct like this is what I used to full-page a couple of B+W illustrations in my most recent:

<div><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 553 574"><image width="553" height="574" xlink:href="images/image.png"/></svg></div>

- the magick there is the 100% width and height, and the viewBox matching the pixel dimensions of the image

* check in the Kindle Previewer app to make sure it doesn't gently caress it up
* check in every epub reader to make sure it doesn't gently caress it up
* make it pass epubcheck ... you poor bastard
* swear a lot

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Breath Ray posted:

that's very helpful, thanks for breaking it down so patiently. I do have my own domain (bought it yesterday for $10) but not sure if it's worth paying a further $100 to map wordpress to it because - as you say - people won't be typing it in anyway. on the other hand my main product I'm selling via the blog is my own translation work rather than an ebook, and it feels slightly less small time not to have wordpress in the url. sadly this looks to be something where i need to use my own judgement and appetite for spending rather than getting a definitive answer from the internet! noooooo haha

having your own domain name is good

paying for hosting is probably a better idea than hosting it yourself, though the latter is stupendously cheap (a suitable server on Hetzner is like 2.50 EUR/mo)

I self-host my stuff, but I'm actually a sysadmin so I'm powerfully aware of the security issues of maintaining WordPress.

(WP used to be quite bad for security, it's vastly better now but you must keep it up to date, and if anything bites you in the rear end it's likely to be an ill-maintained theme or plugin you installed)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

1. Is IngramSpark still the default go to or is KDP better?

In print quality? Kindle Print (and CreateSpace before it) literally use IngramSpark as their printer in the UK, so it'll be the same here, and I presume comparable quality elsewhere.

Is their four-colour any better? Cover colours - and indeed trim - are still wildly variable in my experience.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Breath Ray posted:

just to keep this on topic, ive noticed dictating (in Apple Pages) is a great way to hit your 1000 words a day target. it takes a few minutes and unlike writing i feel less like editing as i go or getting bogged down crafting the perfect sentence. but im not sure what the end result will be like and if i'll need to rewrite everything at the end. have any of you tried dictating and how did you find it?

oh, that's simple - you always have to rewrite!

but if it gets words out of you then it is GOOD and you should do it. the best software to use for writing is whatever gets words out that day.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fuschia tude posted:

Sure. I meant I'm kind of fascinated with both that site and the LitRPG... genre? medium? simultaneously and separately. I should just read through some stories on that site and see. The issue is time.

it's basically original fanfic. Some of it's trash from kids having fun, a small amount is brilliant. Like in fanfic, you can do the thing where you make a name with excellent fanfic and seed an audience for your original work. You probably won't be E. L. James, but you could probably be Andrew Seiple.

(You've never heard of him? Fine! But he got a good audience for his original superhero and litRPG stuff seeded from his fanfiction. I'd recommend his Dire series to anyone who'd like a good slightly-gritty superhero series, and it's all on KU.)

divabot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 2, 2021

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

Alright, back with more questions!

Based on new data coming in, it seems like the majority of my target customers buy either from Amazon (in which case they'll most likely order the KDP paperback over the ebook), or direct from the publisher (i.e. me). Reading up on IngramSpark's vaunted "distribution" into actual bookstores seems like it's not that accurate and also not that beneficial (you would have to set royalty at 55% AND allow returns AND they won't ship returns to Australia :bang: so the only option for returned stock is destruction :bang:).

HOWEVER, the majority still prefer reading in hardcover.

So right now I'm thinking of ordering small batches of author copies and selling hardcovers directly through my own website. Since it's such a niche audience, I think I'd have more luck selling directly.

Has anyone done something similar? If so, what are you using for the ecommerce side of it (WooCommerce, Shopify, Wix, etc)? I'm looking at Ecwid currently as they have a free plan (https://www.ecwid.com/pricing) which would suit me fine since I won't need anything more complicated.

I haven't. I know someone who's done his through Lulu, then linked that on his Amazon page as another version of the same book - he says it sets a price point nicely, even if he doesn't sell many.

However, I understand that KDP are now beta-ing hardcover. Main nuisance is doing yet another version of the cover. No idea when it's on general release.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
how's it look in the Kindle Previewer program on a PC?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah. I had this for my book and that was just text. I did an epub (Kindle accepts epubs) and hand-did each image as a full-screen image, with XHTML like:

quote:

<div><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="1.1" width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 1640 2550"><image width="1640" height="2550" xlink:href="images/image.jpeg"/></svg></div>

and that survived both most readers and epubcheck. If you remember to add it to content.opf:

quote:

<item id="id11" href="index_split_031.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="svg"/>

and in conclusion, if you ever find yourself hand-editing the XHTML in your epub then kill me.

full post of all the dumb poo poo I did, written as a reference to myself for next time

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

Amazon is abandoning .mobi as of the end of June this year:
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200634390

And of course this is going to happen after my launch date.

:suicide:

well, mobi was always a zombie oddity. Though I'll always remember my first smartphone, a Blackberry, and how the MobiPocket reader was the only ebook reader for it, and how it was almost impossible to get a copy 'cos Amazon bought MobiPocket and removed it from the web, and I installed a binary I found in some weird and disreputable corner of the web, and how I had to convert epubs to mobi with Calibre.

time to go ePub!!!!! :-D !!!!!

until Amazon makes KPF mandatory of course :suicide:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

* The Apple iBooks epub has been updated and finalized but I'm stalled at setting up an iTunes Connect account because of some weird script choking on Apple's end

Since the running advice in the IngramSpark community seems to be use KDP for distribution on Amazon, then IngramSpark for print everywhere else, but go direct for all ebooks, I'm now up to investigating Barnes & Noble for their self-publishing platform, which is apparently also trialing print on demand. Has anyone here tried out B&N?

draft2digital deal with both pretty painlessly IME

(indeed I find d2d less faffy than smashwords, so I hit Kindle for 90% of sales, d2d for the other 10% and smashwords just to sell on smashwords)

Leng posted:

EDIT: I hate marketing and publicity. Since I ran into technical issues with setting up ebooks, I spent the rest of this afternoon reaching out to bloggers, YouTubers and Instagram influencers. I swear writing the outreach emails are harder than writing the book.

fuckin preach. writing and publishing are great now, so 100% of your problems are marketing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
yeah, I would absolutely always presume you're gonna do a print version, get both covers done. Even if nobody sees the back cover until they buy a copy, it just makes everything look more professional, and self-publishers need all the professional look they can manage.

Make sure your artist has done print before, because RGB on a screen is piss easy and idyllic but four colour printing is a demon-spawned hellworld where your design needs to be robust against whatever the gently caress colours it might feel like today, and also registration errors like when they just decide to use thicker paper than the cover size calculator thinks (happened to me on Libra Shrugged).

I always thought nobody would buy a print version, and it turned out to be 25% of my sales. I mean, good! More money!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

Quite frankly at this point, I'm going to leave it on Kindle, and then set up an ecommerce store on my own website to distribute PDFs and epubs. Most of my readers are going to come via word of mouth anyway, so it's not like I'll be relying on them browsing through the other stores to find it, and I'm not enabling DRM on the ebooks either so it doesn't really matter where they get it from.

EDIT: OMFG that was so much easier than setting up anything on Apple. I now have a working estore that accepts credit card payments on my website. The free plan on ECWID doesn't include auto fulfilment of digital goods, but a quick test shows that when someone places an order, I'll get an email and be able to manually send them the file. I'll call this a win for today.

yeah, this works. Kindle has achieved the miracle of coming up with an ebook store where people spend money, and was always gonna be 90% of ebook sales.

Ccs posted:

The cover artist I used was barely in my price range for a front cover, to get the whole wrap around done would be beyond what I could ever expect to get back in ROI. Maybe if I come into money in the future haha. That's what I get for going with a guy who's illustrated Harry Potter books. Well worth it though, the front cover is probably the reason anyone is actually reading the dang book and I just feel incredibly lucky that he was willing to work with me at all. In the future he'll probably become one of those absolutely legendary illustrators like Craig Mullens who never takes commissions.

oh god yeah that sorta guy, awesome

I have considered various Guys of that sort but my current artist is a genius who keeps underpricing herself so I pay more than she asks. If you like my covers, my artist is Alli Kirkham of punkpuns.net and she is both an artist and a graphic designer, and you fuckin' pay her right ok

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

drat divabot, somebody got $10 worth of mad at you.

or like 1/10000 of a bitcoin mad at you, since i'm assuming it was a crypto goon

$20 worth - some aggrieved coiner bought this, someone else bought back the previous image, then the aggrieved coiner bought this again

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

Trying to figure out what extra bonus I'm going to offer for ordering direct from me is hard though.

just signing them's a great start really. Offer individualised dedications!

Leng posted:

How do the rest of you manage your schedules between continued marketing of the first/recently published book and writing the next?

oh, the usual way: :stonklol:

(it turns out that sometimes publishers do things)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

My current problem is I actually had a random sale on Google Play! Except the customer then reached out to me and said that the format of the EPUB on Google Play is all

I only bothered with Google Play 'cos it's the only general ebook store I could find that sold PDFs.

Even then, I have to be sure to tick a box to make sure people can actually download the PDF they paid money for.

I get a few sales of the epubs too, it's worth bothering with like Smashwords is, but if you can't get Google to work then don't sweat it too hard.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

That was me as well.

Does it ever get better with successive releases?

I think I stopped looking at my sales every single day after only about 12 months

still a small uplift every time Smashwords emails me about another sale though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

freebooter posted:

Just a note on "making it" - everybody focuses on the Hugh-Howey-esque life-changing success stories, but don't underestimate the benefit of even a low-key side gig. I've been doing this just over four years now and my writing income has wildly fluctuated in that time, generally smoothing out at maybe $500-$1000 a month, post-overheads but pre-tax.

That's way less than some of the people who (used to?) post in this thread, and 10k a year obviously does not mean I'm about to quit my day job. But it's a pretty significant amount of mostly-passive income that changes my spending habits, my savings, and my ability to plan long-term about buying an apartment or whatever. And if I check the Amazon ranking of my bestselling book at the moment, it's something like 70,000, so I'm a nobody. But you don't need to "make it" for self-pubbing to be a really good decision. The only thing I regret about it is not starting sooner.

tl;dr this - it's that little bit of extra.

For me it's also advertising for me doing freelancing and consulting, which is additional. I just got $3000 to write 3000 words on a requested topic.

(the usual is less. Foreign Policy, for comparison, is very prestigious and influential and pays $300 for 1200 words. Which is definitely skimpy, OTOH good lord the influence.)

Also, as a small business, you can basically deduct abslutely everything down to making GBS threads. * It's amazing.

* check with an accountant maybe

divabot fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 4, 2021