Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Do people really hate all the channels that aren't Amazon? I mean, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Google, Apple, Smashwords, etc. should all have search engines which you can influence by setting title and blurbs with the right keywords, encouraging easy reviewers to leave reviews, doing a mailing list blast to get a surge of readers early in your launch when it's most important.

Is the problem with non-Amazon places that they just don't have the number of customers to compete? Because I could accept that Amazon has more readers than, say, Kobo or Smashwords, but Apple and Google are huge companies and I would expect their stores to have just as many customers as Amazon. So what am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

How much do those paid email newsletters charge and how many people do they message?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Does anyone use dragon naturally speaking? I read that it basically massively speeds up your output if you're a slow typist, but I'm not sure how beneficial it would be for me if I'm already someone who can type at like 80wpm if I'm willing to accept lots of obvious typoes like swapped character pairs.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Leng posted:

"LitRPG" and "progression fantasy" for example, weren't things a few years back but now it's a big portion of SFF self-publishing.

Can people make decent money self-pubbing now? I got the impression it became so competitive that one had to be willing to spend 60hrs a week writing smut for minimum wage.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Cool! Thanks, folks! That's kind of what I expected.

I don't expect a huge income from books alone and I have a day job. I just want to do something creative that could turn into food money if the stock market crashes and I get laid off one day. Ideally it would have a remote chance of being a lottery ticket.

I've been learning about digital marketing for a couple years in my free time so I feel like I might be able to do something there to increase my odds of success if I can put out a quality product that appeals to a hungry niche.

One day I'd like to combine storytelling with art to make webcomics but I'm pretty sure the money there is even more difficult to squeeze out and I want to get a process in place to make telling a proper story a habit first.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Has anyone paid attention to litrpgs? Wondering what the best examples of the genre are. From both quality and popularity, if those are different in this genre.

Edit: lmao why do half of these have women with huge boobs on the cover? Did I just stumble on the male-audience equivalent of alpha male shape-shifting billionaire romance novels?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 23, 2021

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Paladin posted:

Probably a good idea to lurk out the Web Serials Thread in the book barn and get a feel for recommendations, I think one of this thread's authors (Angel Opportunity?) tried branching out into LitRPG and found that the audience has very specific preferences and expectations that can be tricky to work around.

Are you looking at web serial fiction in general, or specifically LitRPG? LitRPG does seem like a genre where audience pandering cover design would boost readership by 20%.

I searched litrpg on Amazon and started clicking on some of the results. A few of them had a bunch of also-boughts with big boobs on the covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

drat, you really put a lot of thought into that. Thank you!

For me, marketing always seems like the biggest issue. Why do you say not to use reddit? Or was that just a warning not to use it the way those first few examples did, where they just dumped a link and ran away?