Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Okay, these might be dumb questions so bear with me. I read the OP and the last couple of pages but there is a long time span from page 1-152.

Is it a terrible idea to e-publish a novel in two parts to gauge interest? I love the book I am writing but it is also a lot of work and requires considerable research. Also I suffer from mental health issues (treated, but still tough to live with). Sometimes I go weeks and months without writing - so obviously I am not looking to make a living. These issues are directly related to never having submitted anything for publication (except one sci-fi story 15 years ago which was rejected and I still haven't recovered lol). Anyway.

I finally want to share this new novel because it's been a hell of a lot of fun when I do have the energy to write, and I would definitely find the will to finish it if people were buying it. I'm almost at the 30 000 word mark and at a logical Part 2 split. I think it's a cool idea and it just flowed out so seamlessly (...like water! See, I'm a writer).

Then, how much do you charge for a first publication? I see a lot of variance, and by that I consider .99 cents to $7 quite a bit of variance; no doubt people charge more because they've established themselves, so is there a benchmark for new writers that I've missed?

Also, on a different note, is there a market for short story collections? I have about 20 years of short stories that have never before published. Mostly sci-fi but general fiction too, with some historical fiction and alt-historical fiction to boot.

Apologies in advance if these are stupid questions. I am definitely following the 1-2-3 advice of blurb, cover design and getting it edited first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU