Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

moana posted:

I think my first two novels took longer than that, actually. It really gets easier to more you go. My first novel flopped hard. Fifteenish novels later, I'm starting to get the hang of it. The only secret is to keep improving with every book and don't give up.

Do you mean this in terms of the quality of work that you turn out, or in terms of marketing them / doing the "business" side of self-publishing?

If it's the former, how do you contend with people associating your name with the bad works and letting that negatively impact their view of the good ones? Or do you publish under different pseudonyms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there a convenient, comparative list anywhere of how well different genres sell, both in unit volume and $ sales? I know romance is far and away the largest, but what's second/third/fourth/fifth?

I want to get into self-publishing as a hobby/possibly a supplementary income but have a hard time grasping the idea of writing romance long-term.

And an unrelated question: how exactly does tax work on Amazon? I imagine you're legally a freelancer and get taxed as such. In my case it's probably even more complicated, as I am a US citizen but have my residence abroad (in Germany), and haven't set foot in the US in over two years. I'll be writing in English, but will my location mean my English books will pop up on the German-language store and not be visible in the Anglosphere?

Edit: and a third unrelated question. Is there any weird logic you guys follow when coming up with pen names? I once heard somewhere that there are specific syllable combinations that seem to be more memorable and "marketable" in English (three-syllable first name, two-syllable last name), but that's probably bullshit?

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 26, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So romance is huge... how "big" are gay-themed romances on the self-publishing medium? I know that traditionally, gay romance/erotica on the internet have a pretty high straight female readership (which is how slash fiction got its start and why it's so massive), but does that carry over onto Kindle Store stuff as well? I'm interested more in the romance side of it than the erotica side.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ArchangeI posted:

Pretty much. Some genres are compatible, though, like Sci-Fi and fantasy.

You don't even have to vary them that much between those two genres, if at all. Iain M. Banks for sci-fi, Iain Banks for fantasy, etc.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I can't be the only one who saw the title and was immediately reminded of the Patton Oswalt "Death Bed: The Bed That Eats People" bit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

That's also really bad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Are you married to that pen name? It's fine and all but like 95% of your audience is not going to have a clue how it's pronounced.

Edit: not trying to be a dick here at all, I'm speaking as a consumer. If I were Joe Schmoe recommending this book to a friend, I would default to saying Cletus Capple because I have no idea how it's actually supposed to be pronounced.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MussoliniB posted:

I just wanted to say thank you to every single person that had something to say about my book and I took every piece of advice to heart.

You still misspelled "millennials."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Your audience is almost certainly not going to understand Classical Greek, maybe just... write the sentences in English?