Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Kindle Unlimited publishers:
If you check your KDP Report -> Payments page and then click on the May01-May31 2016 links, each one you click will have a drop down detailing your money earned that month. What's new is that in some of these, for some of us, you might see a Multi Month Adjustment. This seems to be a little extra money they're paying us. I seem to recall Amazon saying they would remove pages from the Kindle Unlimited scammers and return them to the pool. I wondered how they would do that, and maybe this is it.

I figured that they just never would do it, so this is a very welcome surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So let me get this straight, when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid and we should feel bad and stupid.

But when James Patterson does it...

These were all the talk at RWA. I don't know why you think "when we write short stories, they're bad and stupid." I'd personally advise against it because the market just isn't there, but if that's what you really want to do, do it. Just don't expect it to sell like a novel. These Bookshots have access to airport bookstores which is a huge percentage of print sales.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
My wife had to remind me that today is my fourth anniversary of being in this job. Thanks to everyone who has ever helped me out.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I've been kind of light on the promotions this year, as I'm saving up for a big push in December/January. What venues are goons having success with these days? I'm not in KU, if that helps narrow it down.

Book bub is king but there's also booksends and more genre-specific ones.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They're super selective in romance but it's basically a sliding scale with the price for you genre in every other genre.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There's no definite point, like 30 days or whatever, where you should automatically decide a book is dead. However, you should be mentally prepared to let every book die at some point. I hate seeing a woman cry and almost nothing will do it like "There is nothing you can do to save this book."

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's pretty sage to assume that trad pub will do nothing for you. Find a mid lister author in your genre who is really happy, chances are they are either very young and naive or very old and unable to learn a new paradigm.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
You've pretty much heard right, and I've had this gang tag for months.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Draft 2 Digital is the easiest, Vellum is best for maximizing profit. Both create good-looking books.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

change my name posted:

Is that still the most bankable genre? It sure seems that way.

It's either that or thrillers.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Don't check your sales daily :negative:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It doesn't look live on .com because amazon detects your IP address is in the UK and wants you to buy from .co.uk instead.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

noice

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
it's a gimmick

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RedTonic posted:

Cool gimmick, doesn't matter to KDP serfs like yrs truly. More interested in what's going on with that "secret" $500 KU promotion.

SHHHH IT'S A SECRET

I don't think it's anything more than trying to entice customers to come to KU and adding value to Amazon Prime, though.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sundae posted:

I actually don't know what this is at all.

They're offering select people (not me) a flat $500 for their book to be available on an unlimited basis to Amazon Prime subscribers for 90 days, outside of their one regular borrow a month. So a smaller library of all-you-can-eat titles for people who aren't paying for Kindle Unlimited now. You still get paid for sales but not borrows, no idea how sales rank is affected. It's obviously not worth it unless it's a book that you would consider a loss leader already, like Book 1 in a series.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's completely appropriate in my opinion, congrats!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

Glitchtember has come and gone, I just published a book today and will continue to do so until January at least.

moana posted:

glitchtember is the annual Amazon holiday month of glitches where they break all their poo poo make crucial updates. Now we're back in normal mode, publish away!

These are the only posts about Glitchtember but it is a real thing and you should expect to get hosed if you publish a book in September.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RedTonic posted:

It's also affecting the novel I published this spring, unless it's possible to lose ABs pointing at a title for other reasons. Only gained them recently because I'm an idiot but they were mine and they were helping my sales.

:negative:

It is entirely possible to lose also-boughts organically after a while, they just fall off the list. I think that's especially likely for a book well past its 30-day window.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

RedTonic posted:

I just got 'em like a week and a half ago and that book's been trending up on salesrank. :sigh:

I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sad lions posted:

Honestly, I'd just jump straight to the inevitable restraining order.

rofl yeah this is probably the correct answer

never help anyone if you're not sure they're mentally stable

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Chokes McGee posted:

maybe not even then because the human race on the whole cannot be trusted

Tangent: Can I troll for votes in this thread for that weekly award I mentioned, by any chance? I'm really really close to winning. I don't care about :goon: or whatever but a few extra would be incredible. I get free advertising for a month if I win!

If it's not kosher or nobody wants to without reading first (which is perfectly understandable), I'll, I dunno, edit this out or something so no one probates/laughs at me. :smith:

I already liked the post and it automatically voted for you, but you should directly link the post that needs to be liked if you want people to actually do it.

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh... my expected royalties just went down $10. Is this part of Glitchtember or did the Angry Amazon Gods decide some of my sales were somehow not legit? :confused:

There's a number of reasons why this happens and it doesn't sound like a result of a glitch. What methods are you using to check your royalties?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Chokes McGee posted:

The Reports list on KDP. It suddenly went from $65 USD to $50 and I'm not really sure what happened there. :raise:

This is really the last time I'm gonna ask for more specificity before admitting I'm not tech support but you just mean that default graph that pops up when you click reports? The default is for it to measure the last thirty days, did ten dollars of sales fall off due to age? Do you have a lot of returns in your monthly sales reports?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

walruscat posted:

I wish they'd go the way of Microsoft. Their products have never been better. Office 360 is loving amazing for an author. Seriously people. Get that poo poo and use OneDrive forever.

Seriously lol'in at anyone who thinks they need a $100/year program to type words onto the Internet. The only reason I bought Vellum is the deal with the devil they made to get more KENPC than any other program.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm using FocusWriter and setting a 1.5k daily goal. I'll have to load into LO and restyle when I get a complete first draft though. :sigh:

It looks great imo. My only VR device is for my phone right now but when the 2nd gen ones come out I'm going to get something like this with the Desktop viewer you can get through Steam.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

Seriously lol'in at anyone who thinks they need a $100/year program to type words onto the Internet. The only reason I bought Vellum is the deal with the devil they made to get more KENPC than any other program.

Hey I need to amend this post. If you're doing great and want a program that types words better than Notepad, I guess there's worse things you could spend $100/year on. If you're like most self publishers and you either a) already have a program you like (Wordpad, OpenOffice, LibreOffice are all fine examples, in addition to Scrivner which is paid but costs less) or b) don't have $100/year in spare change to get something another program does, don't spend $100/year on Microsoft's terrible product line.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I wrote an entire short story on my phone while pooping and that story made me some money. Makes me feel silly every time I'm browsing these dead forums on my phone.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Hey guys. This is my favorite thread on Something Awful and I feel proud of every person who has ever made a change based on something that someone told them in this thread. Good luck in the future and I hope all of you become great fiction writers.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah I'm really happy that GBS was shut down with zero notice and that people are finding it so funny. I think it's so funny that I'm not coming back. It'll be hilarious to me when Lowtax has to actually get a job after taking the last two decades off. I'll be checking in now and then until the election but I'm not reregistring after I get banned for my Trump avatar, or before that if I can't keep my mouth shut.

I'm not sure who still posts here that has worked through the erotica renaissance but hopefully this thread doesn't die (or this entire subforum deleted for the lulz).

EngineerSean fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 22, 2016

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I guess I'm one of those unfunny people trying to be funny who infected this subforum.

Also I've made a half million so far this year and I'm pissed because it's a pay cut. At least I've made like six thousand on predictit.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They don't pay a living wage obviously. Often they end up getting plagiarized work because you get what you pay for.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Also re: wishing you had written more than one book. If I can impart one piece of knowledge, it's that the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. You'll never be rich if you end up giving up now.

There has still never been a better time in history to be a writer.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
A full novel definitely takes me way over a hundred hours of butt in chair but that's irrelevant. Just do it.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sundae posted:

I'm still around and would probably be more productive in writing if I wasn't just so gosh darned tootin' happy these days. :3:

:3:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
If you don't know, you don't wanna know.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It is an overpriced way to get reviews but it is considered more respectable.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't disagree.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
If I had waited for my writing to be perfect before I started publishing, I'd still be waiting.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I saw a boost but yeah, not what I should have earned in September. So if everyone gets a boost doesn't the pot just get stretched thinner and the rate goes down?

This is completely 100% correct thinking but this isn't the month that they're going to make this clear. They're facing a mutiny right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
What took you a year? Outlining? Your first draft? The three months you took off because work had you beat? This is a job for most of us. A mere 250 words a day for 250 days a year gets you more than enough for a novel, and that represents about thirty minutes of work for me. You're never gonna piss off your peers faster in this business than by implying your work is better simply because it took you longer.