Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Sundae posted:

Please tell me Diesel is one of them. Please please please!

Nope!

(it's just Kobo, ibooks, B&N, Smashwords & Overdrive)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
It looks to be a creative project specific Kickstarter type thing.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Tenacious J posted:

Could anyone explain how royalties work as a self-publishing Canadian on the US Kindle store? I just can't make sense of it.

This being the KDP page that explains things.

What I think happens is that Amazon takes their 30% cut as well as ANOTHER 30% of the gross sale as "tax withholding"? That means I ultimately receive 40% of the sale, correct? Discouraging....

EDIT: Then I pay the Canadian Revenue Agency a percentage as well, I think.

I followed these instructions and got it sorted out easily http://catherineryanhoward.com/2012/02/24/non-us-self-publisher-tax-issues-dont-need-to-be-taxing/

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I thought it was important to share the email exchange I had with Fiction4all. I sent them an email last night when a book that was supposed to be unpublished from their site was sold. I was freaked out because that book is now in Kindle Select and -really politely- asked them to please make sure it was no longer listed.

Their response:
"Hi
According to us the book was only published with us in late August – so barely 6 weeks ago. All four of the books you listed are off sale so do not appear on our site any more. My view is it is probable someone added it to a shopping cart back in late August or early September before you pulled it and then decided to pay for it yesterday or the day before. I have customers that build up their carts over a period of time and then decide to pay for it when they can either afford to or when they have a number of books waiting to be bought.
Curious as to why you bothered to post these books only to take them down a few weeks later – it’s a waste of your time and ours to do that.
Regards"

I responded with:

"
Thank you for your quick response.
The books were listed after hearing good things about your site. Unfortunately they did not perform as well as I hoped, and so a deal was made with Amazon.
I'm sorry to hear you think new authors trying your service is a waste of time. I have passed on your message to the author communities I am a part of to let them know not to bother listing with you since you are so busy."

and they replied:

"For the record
I don’t think new authors trying our service is a waste of time – what is a waste of time is putting up a number of books for just a few weeks. Obviously I will be checking the blogs and forums and if you have defamed me you will be hearing from my solicitor with a very large claim for damages."

Thought it seemed like really bizarre customer service.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

Authentic You posted:

The fact that the site looks like some sketchy internet relic from 1997 is probably more damaging than you telling us the dude got all butthurt about you taking your books down after a couple weeks and "wasting their time".

I never put any of my books up there because it looks worse than the ebook pirate sites and involves customers giving cc info to a sketchy-looking site and then side loading the files. So it's not like my perception has been damaged any further.

Yeah, it was a lapse in judgment on my part. A few people on another site swore they were great despite their terrible look, I was just starting out and figured it was worth a shot. Lesson learned.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I know people in Norway who get around the restrictions by using a us mailing address (either a friend's or one from viabox.com) and paying with amazon.com gift cards instead of using credit cards, but I don't know if there is any more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
When you guys communicate with Amazon, do you do it by phone or all by email? I have heard quite a few people say they are a lot easier to do business with over the phone.