Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
In order to judge a narrative on a basic level, the program would have to be able to determine what characters existed, which would involve combing through the entire text and understanding not just basic descriptions like "he was tall" but also interpreting actions, since good writing is show-don't-tell.

Then it'd have to work out through contextual clues alone what was going on in the story, since often actions are assigned to a pronoun rather than a name. It would have to understand metaphors, similies, and probably flashbacks and sudden scene changes as well, to say nothing of the unreliable narrator present in so many works.

Basically the program would have to have near-human levels of understanding and language that won't be viable for at least the next twenty years, especially not at a commercial level. That's just to understand if a story has a solid narrative, to say nothing of whether or not it's good.

I'm willing to bet that the best thing it could do is analyse your text and compare it to samples from pre-existing works that are proven bestsellers and determine how similar the text is to insert-genre-masterpiece-here. And even that is a terrible way to do fiction because seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Maybe something like this for the title?

Something about the book's subject matter makes me think that standard fonts aren't the way to go.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Jeez, I could do a better cover with free stock images and an hour of photoshop time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Promotion and marketing is the one part of this whole thing I am no good at, and a lot of the advice I've gotten has been either outdated by about five years or more, not relevant to the actual topic, or a complete tautology.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm trying to avoid "*record scratch* you're probably wondering how I got here" but I'm thinking a less obvious variation of it is the way to go. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY