Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Those of you who are Americans working at this part- or full-time, how do you have things set up tax-wise? Any incorporation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

angel opportunity posted:

I did a book on Royal Road that was moderately successful but still underperformed for me. I think it is a cool way to consider dipping your toes into self publishing something genre/nerdy. I did a video breaking down my thoughts and talking about what I learned from the experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Rv0uwpRSA

Thanks for making this. I appreciate the behind the scenes look. The whole concept of Royal Road is fascinating, and I just encountered it in the web serial thread. And I'd never even heard of LitRPG until last year.

Not sure I want to write for it, but... it's worth keeping in mind anyway.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

angel opportunity posted:

There’s a lot of a stuff on there other than litRPG. I read one for a while about an older woman who got sent back to her body as a teenager and got a second chance at life with all of her adult experience. It was set just like in high school and had no magic or weapons or other nerd poo poo

Sure. I meant I'm kind of fascinated with both that site and the LitRPG... genre? medium? simultaneously and separately. I should just read through some stories on that site and see. The issue is time.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ccs posted:

Part of me is curious if you changed the characters ages and kept them as cats whether it would work. A lot of people grew up on Redwall and so forth, maybe they'd be more open to a story featuring animal protagonists that wasn't necessarily for kids. There's already comics like Blacksad and so forth that do this.

Also things like Night in the Woods, which is definitely not YA.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Captain Log posted:

I certainly don't think I'm going to write Carrie on my first try.

Neither did King! Despite being his first published, that was his fourth novel.

Yes, your earliest writings are bound to be bad and it's likely to remain bad for a while. Everyone's are, starting out. That's the learning process. But everything you write, especially everything you finish, especially every big thing, will be better. In some way or another. Assuming you have anything resembling a mammal brain, that's guaranteed.

One thing you might want to do to give yourself distance from your new finished manuscript is... write. Make something totally different, with no relation to the last one. (It doesn't have to be another novel; it probably shouldn't, even, unless you're a really fast writer.) Distract and occupy that part of your brain with a new and different creative task, and see it to completion. Or several, if they're short. Then, after you've set your manuscript aside for a month or two, you can come back to it with fresh eyes, now that you've completely forgotten some details, and others have gone hazy, and you don't have every page of it memorized.

Then you can decide whether you need to cut and trim it down like you said, or if it would be more efficient to just rewrite the whole thing from scratch, now that you already know the whole plot and what it's all about and what the purpose of each chapter and scene is and where it's headed in the end. Right now, you're too close to it to even make that determination.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 4, 2021

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spokes posted:

This is a little off-topic (and simultaneously very *on* topic) but if you're ever literally interested in the Choose Your Own Adventure publishing game, Choice of Games is very open to publishing submissions if you write them in the (very easy) programming language their CYOA knockoffs run on--it's only 25% royalties but they're on iOS, Android, web, Steam, etc. I submitted a game last year (40k words or so) and made a few hundred bucks from it. Not going to get rich quick or anything, but it's nice to know they basically guarantee publication if you don't have any huge typos (and sometimes if you do, lol!)

Also, if you go through their official CoG label rather than the Hosted Games label Spokes is talking about, you get guaranteed $7-10k in cash advances over the course of several milestones as you write, plus they handle a lot more of the various multidisciplinary work that you ordinarily have to handle yourself when self-pubbing, like copyediting and running a beta test and providing cover art. So, a lot more like a traditional publisher. But in exchange, they mostly only accept established authors (in either traditional or interactive fiction), and they have much more exacting style and structure requirements. But as they say, publishing a Hosted Game first is a good way to qualify.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Captain Log posted:

I'm sorry, but what does AO3 mean? I'm old and easily confused.

A fanwork hosting site

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DropTheAnvil posted:

Launch day is in a few days for me. This was very much a first-time publishing thing/vanity project. Would there be any value in me posting my thoughts/processes here?

Absolutely.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

As much as I bellyache about the numbers for audio, I will say that as an author, hearing my book read out loud by a professional narrator helped me improve it. it was far easier to catch awkward phrasing or repetitious words when i had the manuscript open on my monitor and listened to the audio for proofing. that helped a lot.

I wonder if a decent TTS program could work similarly, for a cheaper method.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

i hire somebody. if I did it myself, the initial cost would be near zero, but yeah it's a shitload of work that i don't need.

plus a professional voice actor sounds a hell of a lot better reading my book than I would.

Do you hire a specific individual, or use a service?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

divabot posted:

It's part of your marketing, treat it as such.

I think newts is asking, what's the morality of inventing a wholly fictional biography and persona for your penname, rather than just writing vaguely-but-truthfully about yourself?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

newts posted:

The writing part takes the most time.

This, 100%. Everything I've done over the last 9 years has basically been to try to improve this and find a process that actually gets me to write anything at all ever. And then also to type it up, because part of accomplishing the former usually requires writing in longhand for some reason.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

You can hint at more to come without leaving major plot points unresolved.

Take the original Star Wars movie: at the end, the Empire are still the big baddies, Vader is still out there, and what happened to Luke's father is still unknown. But the main threat to the rebels that they've spent the whole movie fighting is destroyed and the main characters get recognized in a nice big award ceremony to close it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

SimonChris posted:

Look at these gorgeous author's copies I just received from Amazon! Can you really live without such a beautiful book in your life?

I now intend to apply for a mobile street vending permit, so I can sell my works on the streets of Copenhagen and use my contact juggling skills for promotion. Thus, solving two monetization problems at once.

I don't think I've ever seen the phrase "Xyzzy award-winning" before. :catstare: