Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Ice Fist posted:

I mean, did anybody here really expect this to be *not* a piece of total poo poo because hey, it's an alpha of a game that they've had trouble releasing because of showstopping bugs they had to rush to fix only hours ago?

I'm not saying don't criticize. Knock yourself out on that front. But I'm feeling a certain amount of incredulity here. A little bit of 'I can't believe the game is in this state.' Nobody should have expected this to be good, or be launched competently.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be much worse. Runs like a charm on my machine and looks fantastic. No major bugs on my end so far, apart from connectivity issues (but I had those in the Hangar too, guess it`s just high load).

The only thing that worries me is that it'll get old pretty fast. Shooting rockets at Scythes is only so much fun. But I was never that much into dogfighting anyway. Making dough to buy capital ships is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

BULBASAUR posted:

New retaliator stats. It hauls significantly more Lesnik Units (LUs) than the constellation and only a little less than the starferry. It's turning into the new corvette, basically.
Atm it's turning out to be anything but a combat ship. I like how they managed to forget the weapons in three consecutive "updates" now.

Now as most people who bought Retaliators, I am extremely interested in trading and am perfectly fine with such a minor oversight, as long as I get steady updates on just how many space potatoes I can load.

*sigh*
It's TBD, I know, but if updates are basically bullshit, why bother updating?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Justin Tyme posted:

I haven't actually checked the stats but it would be extremely lol if they actually don't have torpedoes or turrets and are in fact 100% unarmed.
Yeah, atm it is completely unarmed. Which will change ofc, but just how demilitarized the Retaliator will end up being (and how much we will be asked to pay for the version we actually want) is anyones guess.

Not happy about variants in general. They are selling ships for hundreds(!) of dollars and then remove most of the equipment people bought them for over time, just so they can sell it to them again for another 25-50% price increase as a variant. And we are long past the point where you could justify those inflated prices with the fact that we are "making it happen" or whatever. The game is funded, and whatever they do now is profits. And here, they put even the worst p2w games to shame in terms of moneygrabbing atm.

What worries me is that there's no healthy way out of this. They will either have to give their core community the finger by massively devaluating pledges, or try to appease the "Investor" Crowd by effectively locking progression and screwing their ingame economy for years to come.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

radd posted:

I think by "investor crowd", Informed Consent is referring to those pledgers buying ships as an investment.

Either CIG make upgrades achievable in game without too much difficulty, pissing off those that spent a lot on ships, or they make it hard to progress to preserve the value of paid-for ships, pissing off everyone without a large ship investment and making the economy in game suck (since everything would be so expensive).
pretty much.

And it looks very much either/or to me. If somebody sees a feasible middleground, do tell

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

jynxed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lb_mRzDG7w

Thought some might like to see this. It's a 5 min vid showing off the weapon head tracking with an Oculus Rift using an x55 hotas for flight. Other half made earlier. Please note, OR support is a little laggy just not and not implemented 100% perfectly.
I actually don't care much about head tracking, but this video goes a long way to show just how amazing it must be to sit "in" the cockpit with a Rift.
It also goes to show why it was smart to wait for the consumer version though ;D

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

jynxed posted:

Yea and no. The video is shot from desktop footage and not the rift, then cropped to single screen in vegas. So the poor resolution in this case was due to being lazy with rendering the video in Sony Vegas before upload. I don't think the footage is overly laggy either. The lag is partially due to cryengine right now so it is not just the rift.

However I will admit dk 1 has it's problems, resolution and not 6dof along with it not having low persistence are the big ones. However, we have both got a lot of enjoyment from the dk1, both personally but also demoing it to literally hundreds of people. Its great fun to watch the reactions of 1st timers who disputedispute the ORdk1 short commings generally are blown away with a totally new experiance.

Whilst early adoption is mot for everyone I would buy a dk1 again in a heartbeat and have 2xdk2 on order as it corrects many of the aforementioned problems.
Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's still an amazing experience.

But if I'm gonna spend 400bux on a periphereal I just want the best possible performance. I ain't that rich

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
So what are your thoughts on "Around the verse" so far?

I think the show needs a "Lesnicks weight" segment. And I think it is as cringeworthy as we feared. He's just not comfortable in front of the camera at all

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 12, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

tooterfish posted:

Man, I'm sorry I missed that. Would've been quite cathartic.
Same. That game was kind of a letdown. And I wasn't even expecting much

If SC fails, at least I can blame my own hype

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Let a thousand flowers bloom!

Also:

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're wondering if this game is going to produce endless entrainment, I present to you this completely unironic tinfoil pubbie masterpiece

:allears:

They even forget all the secret mods that are part of operation Walter's Garden
What the actual gently caress?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
I think this is the point where Chris realises that large groups of people are unbelievably dumb, and quite possibly worse than a regular Publisher

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 12, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Othin posted:

I was going to post something about how she's scamming taking advantage of geeks but then I remembered I gave Chris Roberts a bunch of money so I'm just going to go cut my wrists instead. Ok bye!
These are the moments when I regret not having tits. Not even manboobs or something. I could be showered in cash for what I do best: Sitting around half naked playing video games.

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 13, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

RubberJohnny posted:

If people don't think the current microtransactions will be replaced with other microtransactions when it becomes War Thunder in Spaaace for two years I don't know what to tell you.
What worries me more is that WarThunder is cheap compared to SC. They set the bar for ingame purchases so hilariously high that it will be hard to change it into anything else without upsetting the people who bought poo poo early on. And it's not just ships, there are people who are buying UEC, too
However, *not* changing the cash shop prices will probably not go down so well with all the regular people, who have not yet turned into blind fanboys and think that paying >15$ for ingame assets is crazy. Not to mention paying 250$+

They really painted themselves into a corner by marrying the pledge campaign to their microtransaction economy, imo.
During the former, it was fine to ask inflated prices, because pledges were basically donations. But the latter is establishing actual ingame prices

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 13, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

drunkill posted:

While I don't want to talk to my computer while playing games, this is actually a pretty neat video. I could see myself possibly using the voice attack stuff for power to shields/weapons/engines tasks without taking my hand off of my joystick. Considering I can do half those commands (cycle targets and decoupled) with my joystick it'd be useful for the more fiddly menus and weapon modes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXf5pH-ess

People have already made some modifications for the 'AI' such as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHiz2Fdu7Q
Until watching those videos I had literally 0 interest in that voice command stuff, but that does look kinda cool.

Depends if I have to spend a weekend coding whenever I want the guy to say something original tho

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
So the Xi'an Scout is available for a week, for 150$

Does anyone remember how much it was originally?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

$150? Isn't this game fully funded?

How is this not P2W?
Because having a bigger ship isn't winning. It's just a "different experience" :allears:
And what is "winning" anyway, in an open world game with no set goals?

(Those are the official arguments. Gotta love how they are handwaving the issue and getting away with it)

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Kimsemus posted:

So, has anyone else noticed that he Retaliator can now carry something like an absurd 800 Space Tetris Units of cargo space? Doesn't that make it on par with most dedicated Space Tetris Conveyer ships?
That's the civilian variant, which was stripped of most of its bombs & rockets to make space for cargo.

Because that's totally what people buying a bomber want :v:

But I'm fairly sure that CIG will offer us the ship we actually want as a variant, for a tiny token of another 100$ or so

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

DancingShade posted:

Let me tell you about the way MMO revenue streams have changed over the past decade.
You mean the weird move from ":10bux: subscriptions are robbery!!!1" towards "Paying 500 bux for ingame stuff is cool because I can always choose not to :v:" ?

In SC we have people who are violently opposed to subscription models, because they "don't want to pay when they are not playing", yet they've shoveled thousands of dollars into Christ Roberts greedy maw (for a game they can't play, duh) and - more often than not - have also subscribed to that horrible fan swag. It's inane.

Anyway, I also think the whole "they just save time but its fine" argument is handwaving the issue. With a Starfarer, Banu MM, Hull C or whatever you will be swimming in dough by the time some Aurora peasant can afford its first 300i. Chances are he not only won't catch up, but the gap between the two will grow even larger.
Maybe 1 or 2 years down the line when inflation has hit, people will be able to level the playing field easier (or have their Orgs do it for them), but for the months after release (which tend to make or break MMOs), we are looking at a pretty lopsided experience

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
WoT lacks the PU though. And if WoT anything like War Thunder, it is easier to catch up than to build on your initial advantage. Started that one with some mid-tier planes for the starter pack I bought, but couldn't use them outside of mid-tier matches, so I had to level up the rest of my stuff first.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

warcrimes posted:

So what? How does this impact your game play?
Not negatively at first, since I'll be the one sitting in the Banu MM.

However, if it borks the economy long term with CIG trying to balance pledge values against new players wanting to catch up, it will hurt everyone. I've seen games being ruined by less ;)

jneer posted:

The main reason people like subscription-free MMOs ...
True, and it's Christ Roberts argument as well. However it runs on the idea that the community is split between people with either a lot of time OR money. I'd argue there will be plenty with both or none.

At the end of the day F2P just capitalises on human psyche. We hate paying upfront, but will spend stupid amounts of cash once we're hooked on something. Also, a lot of the grind we are now paying to avoid was introduced by this system in the first place (because it is the main incentive to spend money, even after you own the game)

Anyway, I guess what worries me is not so much that there will be a cash shop at some point, but that there IS a cash shop long before they have even run their first simulations of the economy. (with people already routinely buying UEC for real money) It will be hard to sensibly balance it without pissing off either old backers or new players.

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 22, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Eldragon posted:

Since this game will supposedly have an economy that is heavily influenced by players, having everyone start out in honda civics could ruin the economy for the first 6 months or more as well. I.e. thtere simply is not enough cargo being hauled to meet demand, or there is too much demand on honda repair parts to meet supply. It would balance out eventually, but the first months of a release are crucial to a games success.

So its best to think of it as preseeding the game world, and we can whine about pay to win when the PU goes into beta.
You have a point, but I was under the impression that this kinda balancing would be done via NPC traders anyway.

Pledge ships will count more in whatever kind of nullsec resource grab there will be shortly after launch. Remains to be seen just how much of a long term advantage one can squeeze out of dominating the large scale aspects of the game for the first couple weeks/months

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
For those who have watched Around the Lesnick: Is the show getting any better?

Didn't get around to watch it after the first episode which, to put it diplomatically, I did not like.

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Anyone else watching the new Morlan show?

It's kinda fun

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Somehow I'm not at all excited to be able to dogfight now. Had 2 laggy jousting matches that were won by whoever could shoot the most rockets before being hit by one. Rinse repeat

Now what I'm really interested in is the PU anyway, but unless the netcode improves drastically, even the "small" 50v50 battles seem unfeasible

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
I agree about dogfighting being kinda meh.

It's a bunch of things, but the most important one is that like you said, it doesn't feel like a dogfight.
Someone else called it "roleplaying a missile turret" and that's kinda what it is. The fact that you can go from max speed to a full stop and vice versa in under 1 sec and literally turn on a dime ruins most of the dogfighting feel. The most common tactics I've seen so far are either frantic, messy knife fights with lots of strafing, or space-jousting. Or shooting people with missiles from 1km away until you meet the same fate.

Imo, they should implement some hard limits to maneuverability. Acceleration and Deceleration should take way more time. Rotating the ship should, too.

Now their current system isn't "bad" per se. In fact its probably much more thought out than most systems out there, and actually "realistically" simulates movement in an evironment without friction and all that other stuff that we know from atmospheric flight sims.
But that's all worthless if it isn't "fun"

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
NPCs are expensive. J4Gs are cheap

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Then we are at an impass

Seriously though, questions that can't be answered are what Star Citizen is all about. Somehow we managed to keep 3+ threads alive on that

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Eh, can we move this thread to the place where all the assholes are AFTER launch please?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

ArfJason posted:

what is this retarded gay poo poo
It's called "The Imp" zone. Not sure how or why we ended up here

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Surely, if I spend more money on imaginary spaceships Christ Roberts will make the bad people go away.

It's a test of faith.

(Fun fact, most SC goons made more money from selling their ships (to even worse nerds), than they spent on them, at this point)

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

ArfJason posted:

lmao you didnt even for a second consider i might have been talking about the thread, the thought was literally unconceivable to you lol
Lol lol roflmao

It was clear as day, actually

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
meh.

At least I got an avatar out of it

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

everythingWasBees posted:

It's a nice avatar.
I agree. Here's hoping I can insult my way to an even nicer one over time. Saves me :10bux: I can spend on internet spaceships

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

everythingWasBees posted:

If you save up enough will you buy me a spaceship too?
Of course. I'll try and get some for all the good people of Imp

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
So I'm obviously new to this, but is there an ETA on how long people will usually jerk each other off about how smug & funny they are / how little they care?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
gently caress yes

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Night Shade posted:

Jesus 500 posts overnight, pretty sure this is the fastest this thread has ever moved
Ironically, it's also the least decent content it ever had.

And given the state of Star Citizen, that means something

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Chomp8645 posted:

I would like an avatar please.

I don't care if it's pro-Star Citizen, anti-Star Citizen, pro-Anime or whatever. It's just that they've been flying around like hot cakes in this thread lately and I feel left out and you'd think someone with my reg date would have one by now. The stupid rear end in a top hat who who got me my red text didn't bother to include an avatar with it. What a dick.
I think your reg date is precisely what's stopping people. They respect it.

Only took me 3 posts im Imp or so to get mine and find my true J4G / anime-loving nature.
What makes it less of an honor though is that I think they can hand out this one for free

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 10, 2014

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
Did she loose a bet or something? Or badpost in Imp?

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone

Bolow posted:

3 Months ago someone was offering $500 for a golden ticket account. $500 for something that's absolutely loving useless (everything in this game is useless because it doesn't exist). My own account with all the stretch goal rewards (:shepicide:) is probably worth around $700-$800 with no ships included.

People be loving retarded
On an unrelated note, what`s the tried and true way to sell your account like that? Paypal Invoices?
I actually spread out some Auroras to alt accounts back in 2013, giving them Original Backer status and the stretch goal goodies, but didn't realize there are people willing to pay that much money for what is basically useless swag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Informed Consent
Feb 24, 2014

I <3 Imp Zone
I just hope that some day, they leave funding mode and focus on creating a believable universe, rather than an overpriced cash shop with an accompanying tech demo.

The Hangar module is especially guilty of that.

As long as everything they create is dictated by the desire to sell it to as many nerds as possible, they will miss out on a lot of stuff that wouldn't create big revenue in a cash shop, but still do loads for the atmosphere of the game as a whole. I'm talking useless dustbucket ships, public landing areas other than the "this is where I store my swag"-system, NPC exclusive ships that are cool even though they won't be available in the cash shop etc.
Now maybe this "concern" is unfounded, as for example a lot of the Vanduul and Xi'an stuff will fit into that category, but I still can`t help to feel annoyed by the marketing feel of it all, long after the Kickstarter campaign has run its course.
Maybe they should get a publisher after all just so they can stop with the salesmen-mentality and focus on design

Informed Consent fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread