Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Are people just playing Vanduul Swarm or has multiplayer been activated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MoraleHazard posted:

I started downloading the actual game when I woke up; it was still downloading when I left for work. Hopefully, I'll get to play later.

Protip for the next major release: leave the launcher running when you're not at your computer, it self-refreshes for new patches to download and install.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

KillHour posted:

It's a Space-F350 Super Duty.
It is if you get the MAX variant. :clint:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

lonter posted:

How can I play this game? I mean how do I buy it or whatever? The OP is confusing.

Step 1. Buy a "single ship + game" package. The cheapest is the Aurora, for $40.

Step 2. Buy a Arena Commander Module pass, for $5.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Goddamn you idiots stop responding to Widestancer's concern trolling, did you seriously believe him when he said the development of Star Citizen should be compared to pumping out a sequel to an existing game on an already developed engine with already developed netcode and art assets?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hahahaha you fools preordered a game, which then experienced feature creep and delays. Well that never happened before, you need to be mocked!

Oh I mean not mocked, I'm showing genuine objective concern and not at all trolling.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Daryl Surat posted:

The only reason I backed Star Citizen in the first place was for Squadron 42. I don't want another EVE Online. I don't want another Earth and Beyond. Hell, I don't want another Freelancer. I want another Wing Commander.

There is a reason that people still remember Freespace 2 even though it's been 15 years. There is a reason the space sim genre has been seen as mostly dead for that same time. It's the insistence by a small number of diehard fanatics upon floaty, Newtonian physics-based flight models. The kind that I've never gotten used to, never begrudgingly accepted, and certainly never found enjoyment from using. Wing Commander, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace: none of the giants of the genre in its heyday bothered with that control scheme.

Daryl Surat posted:

Perhaps I should have expected as much given that this is still the guy who made Freelancer after making Starlancer. I feel like I should replay Starlancer (my recollection is that it ended too quick), but I've no idea if it'll work on modern systems and it hasn't been re-released on Steam or GOG or anything.

Hello good sir, it may interest you to know that Tachyon, Freespace, Freespace 2, and the new indie Wing Commander tribute Eterium are all available in the Steam store.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Of course the community is voting for more stretch goals, they voted for more bullshit release dates. :sigh:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Parias posted:

This might also be why people are having to redownload 7GB - there's not necessarily 7GB of new content per-say, but stuff has been shuffled around so a lot of it needs to be downloaded again. I'm just hypothesizing though.
When they rolled out Arena Commander they said they served 820 TB of data in half a day. Anyone have any educated guesses how much of the funding they're spending just on content delivery network bills?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

People donating $50 a pop :stonk:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah but does Frontier have a $5 pledge package called "Shut Up And Take My Money" that let's you show big publishers that they're big and evil?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/200-shut-up-and-take-my-money

I realize Gibbis thinks they've discovered some new awful thing, but that pledge was there literally since the beginning, a result of the technicalities of converting Kickstarter pledges into the system on the RSI website. Many Kickstarters ended up with an extra $5 ship skin and they made the Futurama reference. I expect most backers traded it in for the $5 store credit and I doubt many bought it otherwise, since they've never said anything about what it might look like.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

PC Gamer recently released an interview in which Chris reveals additional plans for dates. According to Chris this is what we'll be seeing:

Version "1.5" (Cutlass & Avenger): Released between now and towards the end of the year.
Version 2 (Multi-Crew Ships): Towards the end of the year.
Version 3 (FPS, Boarding): Reveal Oct 31 - Nov 2, no release date.
Planetside: No date, but before mid-2015.
Squadron 42: Mid-2015 start, 1-2 months in between releases of 5 packages of 10 missions.
PU: Single system end of 2015, expands to multiple systems over time.
Release: Middle of 2016.

Given that around this time last year Chris was quoted saying that the PU would be basically be done by the end of December this is a much more realistic estimate. I'm still expecting release in 2017 at the earliest.
Nice to see Chris finally get hit by the reality bat. Gonna enjoy playing the PU in 2017 on an nVidia Pascal / NVLink 20TFlop supersystem (or whatever equivalent AMD rolls out).

macnbc posted:

Just a note for anyone needing to play an actual finished Chris Roberts space sim:

The entire Wing Commander series is going for less than $10 on GOG.com today. That's 80% off the usual rate.

This is a sweet deal. For those who bought the set previously, check this out anyway because GOG has gotten more games from the series recently.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

xgp15a-ii posted:

Is just a decent joystick + the keyboard practical and worth it, or would you strongly recommend getting something like a saitek x52/x55 that comes with the throttle thing for the left hand, too?
This kind of thing is going to come down to personal preference in many cases.

They state as a goal to make the game playable with mouse+keyboard and I expect some significant percentage of the game population to play that way.

A decent joystick or even just an Xbox 360 controller will definitely be supported and very playable.

While a HOTAS setup will also be supported, I don't strongly recommend getting one personally, especially if you only plan to use it for this one game.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reminder for those with slow connections: if you leave your computer running with the launcher logged in it will automatically download and install any patches that get released.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Galdarion posted:

It depends if ppl really like or hate Arma games survivability. Your armour will probs protect from 1-2 shots and the level of skill involved will be quick and twitchy but it makes capturing large ships fun rather than just killing them or cripple and it uses AI.
They implied that there would be armor which protects from more than 2 shots, but that it would make you slow and unable to sit in a ship's captain's chair.

But of course nothing CIG commits to has ever really been committed.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DasKuend posted:

Hello dear people,

I'm new and can't search. In the last 3 pages I didn't read anything about joining Goonrathi. I would like to inquire if it is possible joining the organisation even if one already is a member of say one of the bigger organisations, especially in the case of prohibited multiorg membership in this bigger organisation (hypothetically speaking).
Welcome to the Something Awful forums!

The main thing preventing you from joining Goonrathi is that you only have one post, the one I'm quoting. You need to be an active member of the forums to join a goon guild. Find some other threads that seem interesting, post interesting things in them, and check back again in a little while (say, 6 months). Don't worry, Star Citizen still won't be finished then.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the Freelancer already was the Firefly.

Literally the MIS variant package included a brown coat.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Also it was a single custom crafted experimental batch, even if he tried to make another it wouldn't actually be the same.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now official: first 200,000 citizen numbers are enabled, Squadron Battle mode is enabled.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

When did we declare it isn't possible to like both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous and Enemy Starfighter? :psyduck:
I have never seen that declared.

What I have seen is trolls come into the thread to say Elite took $4 million and made a complete game in one year and Chris Roberts took $40 million and couldn't even make a working tech demo.

Obvious troll is obvious but yet it works so the trolls keep using it. :shrug:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Star Citizen: far less awesome and actually pretty terrible.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

Best time to build a new computer is in December, right? Something's switching to a new generation, either CPU spec or motherboard spec, but I can't remember what.
Broadwell mostly isn't until 2015.

If you're upgrading for Star Citizen you shouldn't be upgrading.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I love cats posted:

How do I become a star citizen without spending obscene amounts of any money and completely losing my mind?
Step 1. Be in the year 2013 (or late 2012).
Step 2. Back Star Citizen for a package with Life Time Insurance.
Step 3. Wait for LTI packages to no longer be sold.
Step 4. Sell the LTI package for more than twice what you paid for it.
Step 5. Buy another star citizen package and use the extra money for something nice, like a barbecue grill.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wulfling posted:

I wonder how close to $49m they're going to get with the Gladius sale coming up. So much for their decision to stop selling ships unless they're already in the hangar. That lasted a real long time. Not.
They put that up to a vote and were "surprised" when the voters said they want to be able to at least virtually step into the virtual space ship they were buying. They wised up and didn't put any other ships up for a vote, just make a concept art and shove them into the web store.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DasKuend posted:

I apologize for failing at the utmost basic reading and comprehension skills.

Keep practicing.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

They already implemented a virtual towel, with damage states. And a virtual model of a virtual spaceship with a separate virtual empty box.

It would not surprise me if they want to implement mattress tags that harm your standing with the authorities if you detach them.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hey. Hey you guys. I just thought of a very funny joke:

Cocaine-fueled private island it's all a scam goons are stupid lol! There's no evidence any of that money is going to actually making a game, how can goons be so stupid? Instead of funding an obvious scam of a game that does not exist in any form, those stupid goons could have ended world hunger and cured all diseases! Just think of it!

Boy that sure is funny (because it's completely true), I bet we can fill 100 pages with shitposts based on that one joke.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AP posted:

This isn't correct, what Chris Roberts actually said on the 16th of December 2013 was this.

Goredema was referring to the specific claim that after the Arena Commander launch the multiplayer would be rolled out from zero to 100% in less than a week, which was pure :lesnick:.

Of course a point Beer makes frequently is that if they had a less lovely system set up for releasing information then we wouldn't have crazy :lesnick: ramblings as the only source of information and they could be safely ignored.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DasKuend did you know: this forum has other threads you can post in? It's amazing but true!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reminder to the folks on the sidelines, the stretch goals ended long ago, and Chris Roberts tried to stop having any goals/rewards at all, but the fans insisted he keep doing it, so that's why you have stuff like a virtual space plant. CIG isn't saying they need a million dollars in order to develop a virtual plant.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I hope Star Citizen crashes and burns and they all go to jail.
Hmm yes quite, thank you for your valuable contribution to the Star Citizen thread in Games, which is not a FYAD-lite subforum.

With that said,

Floppychop posted:

So I kind of stopped paying attention to Star Citizen after the AC release because the controls were borked for controllers if you play inverted.

Did they smooth out controls at all? Or are they basically as they were on release?
No, the current state of Star Citizen is that it controls like poo poo. As is the standard for Star Citizen, this is promised to be improved in the 12.5 patch which will be released in about 2 weeks.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm, this game that is in active development has some bugs, this is a shocking state of affairs and must be condemned.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

PC Gamer recently released an interview in which Chris reveals additional plans for dates. According to Chris this is what we'll be seeing:

Version "1.5" (Cutlass & Avenger): Released between now and towards the end of the year.
Version 2 (Multi-Crew Ships): Towards the end of the year.
Version 3 (FPS, Boarding): Reveal Oct 31 - Nov 2, no release date.
Planetside: No date, but before mid-2015.
Squadron 42: Mid-2015 start, 1-2 months in between releases of 5 packages of 10 missions.
PU: Single system end of 2015, expands to multiple systems over time.
Release: Middle of 2016.

Given that around this time last year Chris was quoted saying that the PU would be basically be done by the end of December this is a much more realistic estimate. I'm still expecting release in 2017 at the earliest.

Truly, I am shocked that the game is not polished yet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It is because he is too busy snorting cocaine and thinking of new ways to scam people, obviously!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

OK, I've defended a lot of stupid poo poo on CIG's part, but hiring linguists to create alien languages is going full retard.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Video Viddy Games posted:

star citrizen is a loose collection of promises and pictures
Hey now, there is also an arena combat demo that controls like poo poo and crashes after 5 minutes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Moola posted:

guys did you hear?

about Star Citizen

its poo poo
much like your posting

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This is Something Awful, trying hard and giving a poo poo about things is looked down upon 'round here.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No Man's Sky looks very interesting but it's pretty silly to imply they will be similar games. The No Man's Sky developers have specifically said they don't expect players to ever encounter each other.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tinny_Tim posted:

Actually they plan (or are at least thinking about) to release a multiplayer element in the future which they are currently not talking about right now according to the gamespot interviews at least.
There is going to be some kind of social / see where other players have traveled element. The game has very different goals from Star Citizen. (lol star citizen has all the goals lol)

quote:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/1/5856718/no-mans-sky-preview

A single universe will be shared by all players of No Man’s Sky, though they’ll be so distant from one another that coming across some other player-controlled spaceship will feel like a truly noteworthy event. As Murray explains, "people underestimate how vast our (in-game) universe is. If we were lucky enough to have a million players and started them all on one planet, they would still be really far apart."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tinny_Tim posted:

This was the quote I was referring to: "There is this thing, which I'm not going to talk about now; that is a plan for multiplayer, and for people to have a more traditional multiplayer experience within the game. That's something that we'll deal with further down the line, that is exciting. But that is not what's core to the game right now. We have a laser-sharp focus on what we're going to ship with, basically." From here http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-will-have-traditional-multiplayer-but-/1100-6420982/

I can understand why you wouldn't be interested if you were looking for a more MMO like experince. I'm not sure what Star Citizen really is right now though so you will have to forgive my confusion.

I am indeed interested in No Man's Sky. I simply disagree with the assertion that "it looks like everything you [i.e. a Star Citizen backer] have been hoping for without spending thousands of dollars on fake ships. With maybe a little less graphic fidelity and towels."

I think they look like really different games.

• Locked thread