Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
---
This poll is closed.
Go Heat! 96 28.15%
Go Spurs! 245 71.85%
Total: 341 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Why doesn't LeBron just go play for the Spurs guys?!

I dunno I think it would be a dope rear end career move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WEREWAIF posted:

Think about this: in 2024 the middle aged versions of us will see Embiid, Wiggins, Parker and Lavine teaming up. Will we have tons of plastic surgery and anti aging pills by then? It's likely.

You forget anthony bennett who had his hands replaced with robot claws after the second viral plague of 2018

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vire posted:

No way he would foul out in 15 minutes.

The Spurs were not playing nearly as well. They got better every round and I really doubt it was just a Mavs vs Spurs thing. The Heat just walked into a buzz saw. They were lucky to even win one game with the way the Spurs where going off almost every game in this series. Even in game one they just went ballistic in the 4th and the one game they won it was more because the Spurs missed some key free throws.

I truly believe that this was one of the greatest finals teams of all time and many past champs would have had a tough time against these Spurs even if it would have been closer than what the Heat did.

I'd like someone who knows basketball and the Spurs to tell me that Popovich and the Spurs broke out plays they'd never shown during the regular season or playoffs because they were saving up all year to beat the Heat

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Even Kawhi's biceps have biceps

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

I dunno I think it would be a dope rear end career move

Who says no?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

Someone just seriously suggested that he'd have a better chance of winning a title with Charlotte. Charlotte.

Well, Dwayne Wade's getting pretty worn down, I need Josh McRoberts to help me get that third ring.

Maybe Wade's mom is a mischief Trickster God, the fabled Raven who cheers every time her creation fools humans into misspellings

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Four finals in four years, two championships, one of the best records in the NBA. Lebron, pack it up, gotta blow up that team.

Realtalk: You can't win every year (unless you're the Celtics in the 60's). I know it's easy to hypothesize about it Lebron moving to a team with a better supporting cast, but basically everyone's off the books except for the big three this summer. Yeah he could chase hypothetical success by moving to another team, but he's already on a juggernaut. I know it's easy to forget that after watching them get whipped by the Spurs, but losing in the finals isn't the sign of a bad team and even if you're Lebron James you can't expect to get a ring every year.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
code:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Lebron ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no 8 rings ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tae posted:

The Heat could barely score on the Spurs, you think the Pacers (one of the worst offenses for multiple years straight) would even make a dent?

The Pacers are great at bringing other teams down to their level! They could lose by 15 instead of 20.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Maybe Wade's mom is a mischief Trickster God, the fabled Raven who cheers every time her creation fools humans into misspellings

He's the one spelling it wrong, not me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

nachos posted:

The Pacers are great at bringing other teams down to their level! They could lose by 15 instead of 20.

I thought the Spurs beat the Pacers by like 30 in their last game.

yeah it was 103-77 Spurs win

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

That series made me sad, but honestly, I just feel incredibly lucky to watch the last 4 years. Most fans never get a chance to watch their teams win multiple rings, or even just make it to the finals. I hope Lebron doesn't leave, but unless they completely retool, I wouldn't blame him if he left after next year. I watched last night till the clock hit 0, and then turned it off because I didn't want to watch the spurs get the trophy. The Heat ran into a buzzsaw in the finals. It's still been a wonderful season, and I can't wait to watch next year.

And now, on to baseball to watch the marlins collapse later in the season because it is in the marlins.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

attackmole posted:

Four finals in four years, two championships, one of the best records in the NBA. Lebron, pack it up, gotta blow up that team.

Realtalk: You can't win every year (unless you're the Celtics in the 60's). I know it's easy to hypothesize about it Lebron moving to a team with a better supporting cast, but basically everyone's off the books except for the big three this summer. Yeah he could chase hypothetical success by moving to another team, but he's already on a juggernaut. I know it's easy to forget that after watching them get whipped by the Spurs, but losing in the finals isn't the sign of a bad team and even if you're Lebron James you can't expect to get a ring every year.

The Heat aren't really a juggernaut. They're an extremely good team with flaws just like any other. It's not unrealistic to think that Lebron would want to leave while he has a chance to pick his twilight years team.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
N: it's the offseason.

V: gently caress

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Boris Diaw continues to be the most French person humanly possible:

quote:

Diaw was quick to point out the origin of champagne. “I’m French, and champagne is French,” he said. “All champagne is from France. If it’s not from France, it’s not champagne. It’s sparkling wine.”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I mean technically he's right but lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Terry Glenn posted:

N: it's the offseason.

V: gently caress

I hope you're excited for Unsourced Melo Speculation

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Really tottering on the line between endearingly French and unbearably French.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

Really tottering on the line between endearingly French and unbearably French.

I feel like he's really leaned into his Frenchness. Before he was only European (laid back, drinks cappuccino before practice, doesn't wear socks) but he has blossomed into a uniquely French dude

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope you're excited for Unsourced Melo Speculation

Definitely the name for an offseason thread.

It's still to early to be in offseason mode. I might rewatch some of those round 1 games to stave off the withdrawal pangs.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Chris Broussard has been lurking in a tree near Carmelo Anthony's house since the 4th of July, let's go live to him now for his take on Anthony's big offseason decision:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Important Summer Basketball Dates

NBA Draft: June 26th
Free Agency: July 1st (Players can't sign until July 8th)
NBA Summer League in Orlando: July 5-July 11th
NBA Summer League in Vegas: July 11th-July 21th
Basketball World Cup: August 30th-September 14th

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We'll all get annoyed a Melo's waffling, but it's not his fault that the NBA media is on MELO WATCH '14 and needs to constantly tweet made-up nonsense. The best possible outcome is a dumb reporter twitter war over some rumor.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
ESPN needs a 24hour Melo Hotline you can call into when you are feeling melo and need to know what is on Melo's mind on where he wants to go at this very moment.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Declan MacManus posted:

Boris Diaw petitions the mods to re-open the D&D parmesan cheese thread.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I heard this one Diaw story recently where he walked into a gym with sandals on drinking a cappuccino. There was a vert machine and the trainer told him that Amare Stoudamire was the only person to ever clear the vert machine.

Diaw kicks off his sandals, puts down his cappuccino, and clears the vert machine in one try. He puts his sandals back on, picks up his cappuccino, and says, "That was not difficult," then walked away.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

As someone who lives in San Antonio, it was really cool to see the Spurs win last night. They are our only major professional sports team, and the Spurs get a lot of love around here.

Regarding LeBron, I have to say what an experience it is being able to watch him play. I really didn't follow basketball in the Jordan era so to be able to see arguably the most athletically gifted person ever to play the game is something special. I think a lot of fans don't recognize just how good of a player he is. I don't have any issues with LeBron the person. I think he's a great guy, does good work in his community and has done an excellent job of managing himself as a brand. I can't hate on the guy for that. Yes, he can be very cocky, but the kid has been groomed since the age of 9 to be the next coming of basketball Jesus, so it's to be expected and I can't hold it against him. The decision and the Heat intro was a mistake, but since then has the guy really done anything terrible? Just think if he had Jordan's killer instinct...

I will say though I don't like the way the Heat formed their current team, and I think it's the reason they get hated on so much. It's like playing schoolyard football and the 3 biggest dudes on the field decide they're all on one team and proceed to kick the snot out of everyone for the entire game. I think Americans in general prefer something to have a sense of 'fairness' about it (Unless we're competing against another country: see Olympic Dream Team, then gently caress you USA! USA!), and the Heat dumping all their players to make room for 3 of the 10 best players in the league doesn't have that sense of fairness the American Public seems to favor. So seeing them get their asses handed to them by the Spurs made me tingly inside in a special way. Like the schoolyard outcasts beating the bullies for once. The bandwagon fans also can suck a dick. It's really easy to be a fan of a winning team. It's not so easy to support a team that goes through some rough patches. I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan... the SuperBowl year was amazing, but the 5-11 and 8-8 seasons that followed weren't so amazing, but you stick by your team, and that makes the success that much sweeter in my opinion. If you live in or around Miami, you get a fan pass, if you can name 2 starters on the 2009 Miami Heat roster not named Dwyane Wade, you can have a fan pass. All the Heat fans that jumped on board when the Big 3 showed up.. well they're terrible.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I watched Manu Ginobili roar through the paint to tomahawk over four different players, live, and I'm still not sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2014

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Spacebump posted:

Also the Hornets are supposed to unveil their uniforms on Thursday, which means we can all order our Larry Johnson custom jerseys.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Doltos posted:

I heard this one Diaw story recently where he walked into a gym with sandals on drinking a cappuccino. There was a vert machine and the trainer told him that Amare Stoudamire was the only person to ever clear the vert machine.

Diaw kicks off his sandals, puts down his cappuccino, and clears the vert machine in one try. He puts his sandals back on, picks up his cappuccino, and says, "That was not difficult," then walked away.

Diaw didnt jump high so much as his gravity pulled the machine down

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

skipdogg posted:

As someone who lives in San Antonio, it was really cool to see the Spurs win last night. They are our only major professional sports team, and the Spurs get a lot of love around here.

Regarding LeBron, I have to say what an experience it is being able to watch him play. I really didn't follow basketball in the Jordan era so to be able to see arguably the most athletically gifted person ever to play the game is something special. I think a lot of fans don't recognize just how good of a player he is. I don't have any issues with LeBron the person. I think he's a great guy, does good work in his community and has done an excellent job of managing himself as a brand. I can't hate on the guy for that. Yes, he can be very cocky, but the kid has been groomed since the age of 9 to be the next coming of basketball Jesus, so it's to be expected and I can't hold it against him. The decision and the Heat intro was a mistake, but since then has the guy really done anything terrible? Just think if he had Jordan's killer instinct...

I will say though I don't like the way the Heat formed their current team, and I think it's the reason they get hated on so much. It's like playing schoolyard football and the 3 biggest dudes on the field decide they're all on one team and proceed to kick the snot out of everyone for the entire game. I think Americans in general prefer something to have a sense of 'fairness' about it (Unless we're competing against another country: see Olympic Dream Team, then gently caress you USA! USA!), and the Heat dumping all their players to make room for 3 of the 10 best players in the league doesn't have that sense of fairness the American Public seems to favor. So seeing them get their asses handed to them by the Spurs made me tingly inside in a special way. Like the schoolyard outcasts beating the bullies for once. The bandwagon fans also can suck a dick. It's really easy to be a fan of a winning team. It's not so easy to support a team that goes through some rough patches. I'm an Arizona Cardinals fan... the SuperBowl year was amazing, but the 5-11 and 8-8 seasons that followed weren't so amazing, but you stick by your team, and that makes the success that much sweeter in my opinion. If you live in or around Miami, you get a fan pass, if you can name 2 starters on the 2009 Miami Heat roster not named Dwyane Wade, you can have a fan pass. All the Heat fans that jumped on board when the Big 3 showed up.. well they're terrible.

As a fellow Spurs fan, I can't really get on board with hating on bandwagon fans. The Spurs have been good for pretty much their entire NBA existence. I'm really curious to see how much of the fanbase sticks around when things inevitably go south.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Chokes McGee posted:

I watched Manu Ginobili roar through the paint to tomahawk over four different players, live, and I'm still not sure I wasn't hallucinating.

Old Manu styling was the highlight of the series for me imo

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Start getting pumped for the FIBA World Cup.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I just started to get excited for the draft and then I realized that there was not going to be any Stern moments

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

illcendiary posted:

As a fellow Spurs fan, I can't really get on board with hating on bandwagon fans. The Spurs have been good for pretty much their entire NBA existence. I'm really curious to see how much of the fanbase sticks around when things inevitably go south.

You bet $700 against MVP Kawhi Leonard.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Time posted:

I just started to get excited for the draft and then I realized that there was not going to be any Stern moments

If the fans don't boo Silver like crazy I'm going to be very upset.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Spacebump posted:

I might try and make it to a Summer league game in Orlando, anyone else going?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Nonsense posted:

You bet $700 against MVP Kawhi Leonard.

What? Not true, it was $200 at Miami +750. Just a little insurance money in case of a collapse :)

Though I also did bet $200 against the Spurs in Game 6 of the WCF sooooo

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

The fact that there's a good chance people will still hate Lebron James for no reason when he retires makes me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shear Modulus posted:

If the fans don't boo Silver like crazy I'm going to be very upset.

They're going to cheer for him. Cheer.

Not like Silver has done anything bad, but the NBA has a tradition that it must stand by regardless of who holds the crown.

• Locked thread