Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

The impression that I always got from this game was that it was trying to emulate Killer7's weirdness, but just kinda went overboard on everything and ended up being a parody of itself. So whenever I see cutscenes from this, all I can think is "I'd rather be watching the Killer7 LP." Still, glad to finally see a full LP of this.

I was the same way. Killer7 was lightning in a bottle and this game's an imitation caught somewhere between "feeble" and "desperate." I liked the aesthetic, but there's no method to its madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
It's worth emphasizing here: Suda51 did not have a whole lot to do with this game. He hasn't had much to do with any Grasshopper titles since NMH2 at the latest. He throws a few ideas out, lets some douche bag slap his name on the box, collects his money, and leaves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

So it's another case of Lollipop Chainsaw, where James Gunn did most of the writing and such, but Suda51 basically directed it and slapped his name on the title splash?

Pretty much! I forget who doing the actual work on this one, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geop posted:

The first several episodes feel like it's holding back, and it is admittedly to the game's detriment. I think one of the big faults is that it's not until you're halfway through the episodes that the game finally starts throwing sizable chunks of enemies your way. By the end, once the game has everything out on the table and you've got your unlocks, it's pretty fun! Unfortunately, it takes a bit to get there :(

I will also add that the Candy-house setting is particularly just a weird/odd choice. It gets in to B-movie grade material in future chapters, and I love it.

I actually thought the conversation between Bryan and Damon was the game's high point, at least cinematically. The scene is set well, the sound direction is excellent (long periods of dead silence except for the occasional passing car) and the tryhard-Lynch dialogue this game's so enamored with actually approaches profundity despite being just as meaningless as the rest. It was all downhill from there, with occasional upward spikes of silliness.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

judge reinhold posted:

I was admonished for saying this very thing about Killer 7. The person said the game was intentionally designed to be bad and boring to play. It seems like an excuse for not putting effort into it, but I assumed Suda had a more rabid fanbase than this thread is showing.

Killer7 was Grasshopper's high point and its design was absolutely unique enough to excuse its weird, simplistic gameplay for a lot of people. That was years ago. Everyone's gotten a little sick of this me-too grindhouse-arthouse crap since then.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ishikabibble posted:

I'm partial to the "he was fired out of a big fuckoff canon aimed straight at the moon" theory.

Though "stuffing a DeSoto tailpipe full of matches and lighting them" comes in at a close second. Mostly for the DeSoto.

My hypothesis is he jumped really, really high.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dbcooper posted:

I appreciate your dedication to quality, Judge

Edit: Uh, I like your stuff too, Geop.

Is there some point of crystallization in Suda51 games where the story/characters are suddenly supposed to make sense or is it more about the experience and doing cool things without having to anchor them in an accessible narrative? Am I just not getting it?

Suda51's actual games tend to have some degree of clarity under the weirdness. This thing was a knockoff product that just threw weird poo poo at the wall without caring if it stuck.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sindai posted:

Man after all the buildup that was kind of disappointing. There wasn't even a sex QTE.

The mission victory cutscenes get kinkier as you keep replaying them (don't look at me like that, I wanted the girls to stop calling me in the middle of missions). And they're unskippable. Oh, frabjous day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HGH posted:

As for the whole samurai/ninja thing, to the best of my memory samurai were really mostly horsemen/knights of sorts? I can't recall what real ninja were like since the popular image today is the sneaky, fast assassin types. I think they were more like mercenary spies though, doing espionage and sabotage and the like.

Samurai were also primarily archers because Hanzo steel katanas were basically chunks of aluminum foil with fancy ideas. They started mythologizing their swordsmanship when gunpowder made them all irrelevant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I didn't hear it mentioned in the video, but I think that lady's official name is Dolly. I have no idea what her deal is. I don't think she has a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ManlyGrunting posted:

Maybe I thought about this too much to justify my purchase

That is exactly what you did. This thing is stupid, shallow, insubstantial, and also, as has been said, not really a "Suda game." It's a dud.

• Locked thread