Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
The impression that I always got from this game was that it was trying to emulate Killer7's weirdness, but just kinda went overboard on everything and ended up being a parody of itself. So whenever I see cutscenes from this, all I can think is "I'd rather be watching the Killer7 LP." Still, glad to finally see a full LP of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Meis posted:

Does suda write these things? Whoever does has some pretty disturbing attitudes towards women, it seems. Going off what I've seen so far here and in previous suda games.

Suda has some issues with depictions of women in his games, but I haven't seen anything quite this bad before (outside of maybe Shinobu in NMH2). Judging by what somebody said earlier about him not wanting Gigolo mode in the game, I'd guess this is mostly the result of executive meddling.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Davinci posted:

What I'm taking from this thread is that I should get off my rear end and play Killer 7.

Yeah, you should. Or watch the LP of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tj7aBVC1Vw

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoy the very subdued/clean snare in this track which you don't hear often in game soundtracks, but that track is not exactly the definition of "standing out".

Yamaoka's best work is like that, though, so it's kinda odd to expect his music to be in-your-face. Like the Sine Mora ost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYm9GOjZymI

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I know I'm in the extremely unpopular opinion here and don't want to derail the thread, but I don't like how Platinum has become the sole representative whenever anyone wants to talk about character action games. Granted, there weren't ever that many character action games being made around (with the biggest three franchises I can think of being Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and No More Heroes), but now there's been a drought for all 3 franchises while Platinum has been steadily making games since 2009. And while Platinum has yet to make an outright broken game, I feel like many of Platinum's flaws or limitations get glossed over amid all the praising that there is a new CAG on the market.

Platinum is the example people go to because they do crazy over-the-top poo poo well, have proven they can make games for pre-existing franchises, and are made up of a bunch of ex-clover guys. The character-action genre is in a decline because the companies in charge hosed them up in some way or another, and Platinum was explicitly created to avoid that. People talk about the flaws in their games, but they also praise them because they're loving awesome.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Honestly, of all the current game companies right now From Software has the chance to be that with Bloodborne, but I'm just glad Suda exists so that this gap in the industry could be filled.

You're making GBS threads me.

The genre has had competition. God of War, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow/2, Darksiders, and the like. They've either been successful, had their run, or just died off, but there has been competition. And there will be in the future. Bloodborne is not a character action game of any type, though, and it's certainly not gonna compete with Platinum's stuff. Same for Suda. Grasshopper Manufacture's stuff is not gonna compete with Platinum on any level, as an action game or as a spectacle piece.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I think the implication at the end of the mission was that she broke her own neck somehow, and that's why her head is the way it is. That or the billionaire dude snapped her neck.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I think he means that just about everything that happens there can be viewed as ironic.

You got a funny definition of ironic, there.

It's just a gross, sexist mode that they shoehorned in. I seriously doubt there's any greater meaning to it than that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Neruz posted:

I'm afraid all I can say is that I disagree, but I'm not surprised. Satire is definitely the hardest kind of humour to understand or even notice.

Satire is also really commonly used as a defense when people are called out on gross poo poo.

Neruz posted:

Except the parts where it makes Mondo look like a gigantic introverted piece of mysogonistic poo poo and doesn't even try to pretend this is a good thing?

Also the correct term to describe these isn't irony, its satire.

It makes the developer look like a gross misogynistic piece of poo poo. Mondo just looks like their self-insert.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Neruz posted:

He wears glasses that can see through clothes, gets his courage up by staring at their boobs and 'wins their heart' by giving them gifts like chewing gum. When he 'wins their heart' (hurr) he throws a corny thumbs up complete with a little 'ding' noise.

Do you guys really think this is supposed to be taken seriously? Really? Are you that jaded?

Considering some of the poo poo I've seen, yeah, I'm gonna say it is. There's nothing here to suggest that this is anything other than 100% genuine, and that we're supposed to agree with Mondo and think he's an amazing ladies man.

And calling a work satire does not absolve it of whatever gross stuff is actually in it. Even if it was intended to be satire, it's still gross and sexist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Neruz posted:

I don't know what you saw but the whole thing looked pretty drat critical of 'male hypersexuality' (I have no clue what the real term is for this) to me.

The blank looks, the absurd sound effects, the ridiculous way you make the girl 'fall for you', everything. The entire thing was utterly and completely absurd.

Machismo. And there are far better ways to criticize it satirically than to glorify it.

• Locked thread