Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

So, if the combat is pretty shallow and there isn't much to it and the plot is kinda nonsensical and silly, what exactly recommends this game? The gameplay looks pretty loose and not so hot.

I think it's people's wishful thinking of Suda51 releasing something worthy of Killer 7.

Killer 7 basically marked the establishment of Suda51 as something of an avant-garde game designer. It had shrill visuals, a completely insane plot and gameplay that really tried to work with the first two. If you look at the Hand-Out Killer 7, you will see a depth to the creative insanity which really glued the game consistently together and elevated it vastly above many other games that attempted to be "artistic". If people want to make an argument for games as art, it's a legitimate entry.

His earlier works are much less known such as Flower, Sun, Rain a... time-travel mystery game. I think. It's hard to really summarize it well since it makes even less sense than Killer 7 for the most part. Or Michigan: Report from Hell in which you play the role of the cameraman in a horror movie, which didn't really have an equal in gameplay before. Sadly with a completely forgetable story.

But after the inspired Killer 7, things went significantly downhill. No More Heroes was basically a mixed bag. It had some fun ideas for the bossfights... but the general stages were grindy and boring. The characters were outright ridiculous and parodies, but the parody was actually lost on many people. And it no longer had the weight of meaning of Killer 7. NMH2 was basically NMH, with still some fun ideas, still an affectionate parody of the issues of otaku culture, but it also didn't really improve the gameplay.

Shadows of the Damned is rather generic in my opinion and doesn't show too much of Suda51's influence. It has acceptable gameplay, but didn't really impress me. Lollipop Chainsaw's the same. And both games have sexist, erh, not really "under"tones.

In short, the later games had neither the experimental gameplay of his earlier pieces, nor did they live up to the sheer creative depth of Killer 7. But at least Grasshopper still clearly got "it" with respect to gameplay as can be seen with Liberation Maiden or the co-developed Sine Mora.

So then you get a game that carries the name of Killer 7. It sounds like a promise that Suda51 would finally put something out worthy of what made him famous. Judging by the thread, you know how it went down. I haven't played it, but I think the response speaks for itself. It's a shame since I'm really looking forward to what kind of game would happen if he were willing and permitted to try and surpass Killer 7, with little executive influence. But after GungHo's acquisition of Grasshopper Studios, I wouldn't bet on that.

McKilligan posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something since I'm not at all familiar with the game, and not a single goddamn thing makes any sense yet, but holy hell this is the kind of thing that I'd come up with in a fever dream. Cyborg katana wielding cyborg beheads another one whose ghost goes up and makes the moon purple, then accepts a contract to kill a monster who's a girl who smells like fish and lives in a candy house also there's a sexy nurse who shows up to fluff you or get your blood flowing or something.

Well, color me intrigued. Also, I guess I have to go back and watch that Killer 7 LP - I think I watched the first episode or two but didn't get deep enough into it to understand a single goddamn thing - as near as I could tell it was an incredibly trippy rail shooter?

That's basically Suda51's style really. If you want to actually understand Killer 7, you pretty much need to read the Handout Killer 7, or get the info from someone who does. There's a lot more to it than you could reasonably extract from the game.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread