Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Shield were the most well booked guys in the company but I get why they went the route they did and there really wasn't much left for them to do as a unit. Just wish it was Dean instead since he's the more natural heel and I fear he'll be lost in the shuffle now.

I wonder if Rollins is considered an Evolution member now? That's where I assumed they were going but they played Hunter's music at the end instead of Line in the Sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

According to Dave, the possible Kane/Bryan match or WWE Championship Money in the Bank match is a shoot. They don't know when or if Bryan will be back for that show, but they're stripping him if he's not back by then.

drat, Bryan's going to continue to look like a huge geek if the babyface champ can't make the "wrestle or lose the belt" deadline after a match has been made.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

If nothing else this has suceeded in making me look forward to next week's Raw, which is something I haven't felt since shortly after Wrestlemania.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I get busting up the Shield and I can understand the booking logic of turning Rollins, if not the plotting logic of it, but I think it probably could have been built more. Triple H could have done something like stick all three in a qualifying match for MitB, deciding that since Evolution couldn't tear the Shield down he'd try and do it by dividing them. Or I don't know, something like that which could have teased the previous untrustworthiness of Ambrose and the individual glory of Reigns only for Rollins to be the one who turns because he feels slighted or something.

Like I said, WWE has time to make it make sense but as usual I wish WWE had built a story over time leading to a big moment instead of doing the big moment and then telling a story to explain it. But that's WWE and there's no point in complaining about the inevitable.

The suddenness was actually my favorite part of it since it was shocking without being a nonsensical :russo: swerve for the sake of swerving instead of something that was being led to and you were waiting for.

It's a logical way for Trips to deal with the situtaion and unlike some I don't see it as outlandish in wrestling logic that Rollins would turn on his friends for money/a push out of ego if he felt like he was the star of the group.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm guessing Vince doesn't want AAA-US to be able to pick him up and give them a big marquee name known to US audiences.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He's also probably pretty well set financially and I could see him wanting to finish his career with one last main event run with AAA.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Why cookie Rocket posted:

It's pretty hilarious to watch PSP's opinion on HHH vacillate. Remember a few months ago when he was the literal devil and has never put anyone over and he never really liked the Shield/Wyatts and when Vince dies he's going to run the WWE into the ground and his raiments at WM30 were more yellow than gold because he's the yellow king that rules from dim Carcosa?

Yeah, good times.

Same thing happened last year. Everyone (myself included) was high on how he was handling developmental for while, then it came out from Oberver reports plus his own words in Grantland that he didn't really want guys with experience who had preconceived notions of how to work and would be less tied to WWE and favored big guys he could mold like Mojo Rawley. Forum started souring on him around then.

Dave seems to be rather skeptical on serious positive change resulting from him taking over from Vince, although that may be colored by the fact that they don't particularly seem to like each other. I think it's all rather speculative since I don't see Vince going away anytime soon. He seems to be about as healthy as a roided up old man subsisting on steak and ketchup burritos could be, and his mom is still alive in her 90s.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Who are these people that think Nattie sucks? In the ring, at least?

I didn't think she sucked, but I also had no clue she had that match with Charlotte in her. Since I generally only watch Raw and PPVs I viewed her as a run of the mill WWE women's wrestler who was hyped due to her heritage until then.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Two Beans posted:

Pronounce it backwards to banish him to his home dimension.

Uh dude, he already has been, that's what prompted the change to begin with.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Sorry wrong thread

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

I don't understand people who need good writing to enjoy wrestling tbh.

I know not to expect great writing by now, but I do need interesting storylines and feuds to get me into WWE programming. Fortunately Rollins's turn had piqued my interest just as I was getting ready to stop watching Raw. I don't mean this to sound as smug as it probably comes off in a WWE thread, but NJPW and ROH is what I watch for good wrestling matches (and yes, WWE's certainly capable of delivering them when they're on).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

WWE PPVs are just as good as NJPW big shows for match quality imo. Raw exists to promote the big shows and I don't expect amazing matches from it which is why I just download it and skip to the stuff people tell me is good. Watching 3 hours of Raw in its entirety every week is downright masochistic. I don't get why for some people it seems like it's either follow the product religiously or give up on it entirely.

I actually don't watch that much WWE compared to a lot of the board though, Raw's the only weekly show I watch.

Still, If I didn't watch Raw I don't think I'd bother with WWE outside of the Rumble and Mania and I watch it live because I don't think I could make it through without live discussion online.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jason Funk posted:

I'd watch puro if it was edited with English graphics, English announcers, and subtitled promos

They do bilingual graphics now for the big shows and wrestlers are introduced in English a lot of the time. Subbed promos would be great but would be pretty tough to do for a live show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Where's a good place to start with NJPW? Suppose I should give it a try if I was willing to give TNA a spin during Summer of Aries.

I'd start with Wrestle Kingdom 8 from the Tokyo Dome this January, which is their equivalent to Wrestlemania. You then only have a few big shows you'd need to follow to get yourself caught up if you enjoy it (New Beginning : Osaka, Invasion Attack, Wrestling Dontaku, and Return to the Yokohama Arena).

Here's a link to an article puro blogger Yottsume wrote to help introduce you to the major players and plotlines at that time.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.com/2014/01/njpw-trivia-and-cliches-you-should-know.html

Last year's shows were loving incredible and you ahould check some out if you find yourself caught up and into it, but it's silly to overwhelm yourself from the start.

Let me know if there's any shows or matches you need help tracking down.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Another Person posted:

Real late on NJPW big show chat, but some of you suggest only following the big shows and I disagree with that. When I watch wrestling, I like to be able to get a feel for the story lines. Who is the heel? It isn't always clear. Why do these guys want to fight? Just watching the big shows leaves you with pure wrestling, which is good, but you don't really have a stake in it all so to me it doesn't matter who wins. I need to know what is happening and why, without having to follow their legacies for 8 years or something like that. That is the only way I see myself getting into Japanese wrestling by only watching the big shows, by pure brute force and sticking it out for a decade or something.

I would absolutely follow NJPW if it were more accessible for me. I find it is extremely difficult for me to follow it when I have no idea who the good guy and bad guy is, I don't know the alliances and I don't know why I should care. I would absolutely pay for a delayed release if I could get some English on there so I can understand it.

You will be a little lost on that poo poo at first, but if you watch a couple shows and read Yottsume's translations it'll all become pretty clear. It's really not that different from getting into an American promotion where you don't know the wrestlers or feuds at the start.

NJPW basically has two heel stables (Bullet Club and Suzuki-gun), a tweener stable(CHAOS), and unaligned babyfaces(seiki-gun) and the feuds are all pretty simple. I'm enough of a fan to watch the Korakuen Hall shows and poo poo but they're really not crucial for storyline purposes at all. NJPW has no show that's equivalent to Raw or anything.

The big shows are always discussed in the NJPW thread and myself or someone else there will be happy to answer any questions about current feuds or storylines.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'd have no problem with it now, there's no longer the concern of "wasting" Streak matches and it would let Taker retire with a win at Mania. Match would blow but the buildup and entrances could be cool.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Memento posted:

and most of the WWE's audience have no idea who he is

Despite how much they sometimes try to gear themselves to children their median audience member is in their late 30's.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

drat, this sucks:(

I'm not even as huge on Bryan as a lot of the forum is but I certainly wanted him to have a nice title reign instead of constantly getting punked out by Kane before getting hurt.

Lex Luger has the best case for PSP champ of the month right now with no NJPW title match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The title doesn't add much to the Shield drama, but everyone other than Cena and The Shield looks like a chump right now.

Kane, Wyatt, and Cesaro are coming off losses. Sheamus had a terrible win. Barrett looks ok but going from RVD to the main event is crazy.

It may not be necessary for the Shield drama, but Rollins would be by far the best choice IMO to hopefully cement him as a top guy coming off the turn.

It should definitely go to a heel IMO, and the only other guys who I'd want to see as the champ right now are the two big name part timers. Brock as champ would own though if theycould make it work.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I personally hope they stick to one match for the title. The match is usually really fun but the briefcase schtick is kinda played out by now and they're running out of good ways to use it instead of just giving a heel a weak rear end win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I think WWE made a big mistake by not including as much video of his surgery as they could on Raw. I believe they only showed him in his hospital bed right? I feel like having him come out in a neck brace just makes it all look like an angle to the fans who don't really pay attention since they've been doing worked injuries with him for weeks. I might be wrong and they did show all of this stuff.

Agreed, plus a neck brace in wrestling is basically code for weasel heel anyway.

• Locked thread