Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

A random thought with no basis:

Perhaps the heart in the machine is Mandus's, and the stone egg is currently in his chest.

Again, I have no basis for this thought whatsoever. My brain comes up with strange things sometimes.

That would at least explain why on earth the heart extraction at the end would have any effect on the machine.

Got to this one late, since I wanted to watch the LP of Dark Descent first.

Man, watching the first half of this game I had all these theories about what could be going on. (Pointless :words: about obviously incorrect theories to follow) I figured Mandus was already half insane after his wife died, then he went on a family trip to Mexico and his boys died of a fever or something and he just completely went off the rails from there. I figured with all the talk about pigs being people and people being pigs and the pigmen being his children, Mandus in his insanity must have started making pig people as a means of replacing his boys. The saboteur would have been some townsperson or Mandus having a fit or a pigman being an idiot, but the voice of the phone urging Mandus to fix the damage to save the children was the part of Mandus himself who still considered the pigmen his "children". When Mandus finished fixing the factory and saving his "children," he would then either recoil in horror or jump fully onboard with being a pigdaddy and have a big pig party in the depths of the factory.

Then the Big Twist happened. The machine is alive. :ms: (/:words:)

I also totally thought it would be revealed that Mandus (either accidentally or in a fit of insanity) turned himself into a pigman at some point in the past. You never see his face. You don't even see him in reflections in mirrors. When the pigs attack London that one lady gets scared and totally slams the door in your face when she should have been like, "Yay! A real human and not a pig! Let's help each other not die!" Guess that wasn't a thing either, though. Oh well.

Great LP, though. I like watching LPs of games I'm way too big a baby to actually play myself. :)

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nohman posted:

Fine LP for a kind of ehh disappointing game. Nice work.

It's worth mentioning that beyond weird heart ripping machine ending to kill Mandus/the Machine, there are still audio files present for a different set of endings involving the stone egg being at the top of the temple at the end. Wherein Mandus could either choose to shatter the egg to kill the machine or power it up somehow and set the machine loose for Pigmageddon or whatever the hell.

that sounds like a better ending than what we got.

There's something oddly 90s about the factory doors shutting at the end of the game, like it was done in the Quake 2 engine.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Whatever I will say about the game, this was an excellent LP that only added to the atmosphere on offer. Well done.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
This was really excellent. Well done, Hopkins davidspackage!

Also, the stone egg having replaced his heart is crazy-weird and occult enough to work, so good on whoever thought of that one.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The plausibility of an underground God-machine trampling the nations of the world underfoot with an army of cloven hooves doesn't bother me. That's a common conceit in horror fiction, after all. Lovecraft's Mythos is still considered fair game for building up a world-ending threat despite Cthulhu himself getting killed by ramming a fishing boat into him. However, going from this LP to the Amnesia: Dark Descent LP in the archive makes A Machine for Pig's shortcomings pretty stark.

It starts off tense, but without limited resources like sanity and lamp oil the sense of threat starts draining away. And this is before the machine starts hamming it up like a mustache-twirling stage villain. The puzzles make no impression and the assault on London just doesn't work as an attempt to raise the stakes. I think it would have been far more effective to wander through a London that had already been emptied of its inhabitants, witnessing faded signs of the struggle before you arrive at the factory gates.

I didn't realize until a couple updates before the end that the game was made by a different production company. It explains so much. There's a lot of stuff that feels like the cargo cult approach to game design. But for all my griping, it does have some strong moments, and your narration added a lot to the atmosphere. Thanks for showing it off!

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?

Rangpur posted:

...despite Cthulhu himself getting killed by ramming a fishing boat into him.

It didn't really kill him per say. It was more an inconvenience while the part of his form in the material plane decided to retake its shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braitty
Oct 8, 2014
Will this be going on the lparchive or an SA exclusive?

• Locked thread