Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

You wake for the second time today.
This time to a great sadness. Humanis towers above you.
Human in form, both obviously male and obviously female, you know Humanis only in his/her loss. A great loss, as if all the warmth had be stripped from the world. Humanis, you know now, has always been there for you, always protected you. Kept you safe from everything that goes bump in the night.

Humanis is angry He/She grieves for your loss which you can only assume She/He feels as strongly as you do. He/She turns Her/His attention to the creature that stands before you.

It doesn’t last a moment, Humanis smashes the creature into the ground leaving nothing but a stain. After, Humanis turns away. She/He no longer sees you, He/She returns to the Her/His other charges. Every other Sleeping person, not awake to this world as it truly is.

Unfortunately for you there is another two of the creatures slithering towards you, knives in hands. Your terrified face reflected back at you in the domed metal where their heads should be.
A knife flashes out at you and your life flashes before your eyes...

You were born a

A: boy

B: girl

Your first memory was

C: Losing your first tooth. You were so scared at first but you were reassured by your kind and caring Mum. Your parents put it under pillow that night and you woke up with a whole Pound the next day!

D: Riding your bike. You had only just taken your training wheels off but your friend had dared you to ride down the local hill. For five seconds you were blissfully free, but that feeling was cut painfully short when you hit a lamp post at the bottom. You suffer a broken wrist and a small permanent crook in your nose.

E: A bottle smashing above your head. You are so hungry so you snuck to the kitchen. Your dad spotted you as you crept across the hallway, he is in one of his bad moods again, you run to your bed praying he doesn’t follow. He does. you refuse to remember what comes next.

Growing up you and your friends:

F: find a dead dog, your friends were grossed out when you poked it with a stick. When they run screaming, continuing the game you are playing you pause. There is something about the stillness of the creature, its complete absence of life. You turn and run the catch up with your friends.

G: worked in a garden. It was a school project which you took to more than any other child. Working with the earth, watching as life grew out of it just feels right. You spend many years tending that garden. Moving to secondary school was hard. The idea that the garden was no longer yours to work with sickens you.

H: go to a lot of parties, you are extremely popular, always the life of the party. People flock to you and feel energized just being around you. Your friends often find themselves telling you thing that they would never imagine telling anyone. Being around people makes you feel on top of the world, but being alone hurts.

I: spend a lot of time in the library, you love stories, the way the characters and the plot come together to form a perfect whole. The interweaving threads that connect the all the moving parts together feel important to you, the fundamental rules that guide the stories to their conclusions, they sometimes feel more real that everyday life.

J: spend a lot of time in church, your friends are all religious and the church feels like a large extended family to you, The feeling that there is more to life than what you can touch and see. God exists for you. You can feel him in everything you do and everything you experience.

You have been homeless for over a year because

K: you signed up young, joining an infantry unit. You did 3 tours of afghanistan and you were exposed to the reality of war. You came home with PTSD unable to deal with the pressures of everyday life you find yourself on the streets. You can survive out here, the stresses of homeless life are stresses that you understand. This is something you can deal with.

L: The abuse became too much so you stole what you could from your dads wallet and ran, not looking back. The streets have been tough, but nothing compares to what was back home. You were already closed down and defensive and you know how to take a beating. These are the skills that helped you survive out here.

M: You are a born nomad, Travel is a calling that you had to answer, you traveled the world on your parents dime when you was younger but it always felt fake to you. So you set off on your own without a penny to your name. Life has be hard, and the reality of homeless life has stripped the romance from your eyes. But it still feels right to you. Its a hard, brutal life, but a life that you feel you have to live.

One night it was so cold and you had never been so hungry. You were desperate so you

N: mugged an old man you found wandering alone, you only wanted whatever cash he had, just so you could get something hot to eat but he fought back, so you hit him and he fell to the ground and didn’t get back up again. Or move again. You took his wallet and ran. To this day you still don’t know if the old man is alive or dead.

O: left with a Man who wanted company for the night. You just need somewhere warm to be. So you sold yourself. A night of discomfort for a warm night and enough cash to keep you going for a while seemed like a fair deal at that moment. But when you got to the hotel room you soon found out why the Man had been propositioning the homeless rather than going to a brothel.

P: ate the last of your dogs food while he watched. You have had this dog for over a year, he has kept you warm and guarded you as you slept. He has been your most loyal, and lately, only friend, you eat his food as he stares at you, his stomach rumbling. You have betrayed him because you are weak. You failed to put his welfare first and used the fact that you are bigger than him to take food from his mouth.

The pain of that last memory wakes you back to the here and now.

That blade is moving directly for your throat, Do you:

Q: Dodge Left

R: Dodge Right

S: Fling yourself back

T: Fling yourself forward under the blade

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
A
E
F Necromancer, Necromancer, Necromancer!!!
J Sigh, we were so young...
M ...and so naive....

But we learned-R

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Excellent, another CYOA!

I vote:
BDGKLR

edit: Letters changed
BDIMNT

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: B
2: C
3: G (2: I? The choice with the library)
4: K
5: M
6: R

Let's do this thing!

Edit: The letters have changed, but my votes have not, so given the new lettering system, my votes are 1 B 2 C 3 I 4 M 5 O 6 T.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 4, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

(Color voting icons here, bloody ones here.)

e: superfluous vote

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2014

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Oh wow I suck at writing it seems.

Fixed the voting letters sorry about that guys!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'm intrigued, but the letters just keep changing.

1. Girl

2. Losing first tooth

3. Life of the party

4. Born nomad

5. Assault & Robbery

6. Dive under the blade :bandwagon:

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Hm.

A. Flipped a coin.
E. Ahh, memories.
G. People-life sucked, but plant life is deeper, stronger, steadier, simpler. Gonna be a druid.
M. They may have sucked, but at least they were rich, and travelling took me away from them and let me experience the various environments of the world. Sponging off them was too much debt though, too much connection, on my own now.
O. Why was he?
S. Assuming we're not laying in a bed or something and unable to move 'back'.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. Eh.
2. Bike!
3. People!
4. Eh.
5. Didn't wanna maybe kill a dude or steal food from a dog :(
6. Eh.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C: Losing your first tooth. You were so scared at first but you were reassured by your kind and caring Mum. Your parents put it under pillow that night and you woke up with a whole Pound the next day!

G: worked in a garden. It was a school project which you took to more than any other child. Working with the earth, watching as life grew out of it just feels right. You spend many years tending that garden. Moving to secondary school was hard. The idea that the garden was no longer yours to work with sickens you.

K: you signed up young, joining an infantry unit. You did 3 tours of afghanistan and you were exposed to the reality of war. You came home with PTSD unable to deal with the pressures of everyday life you find yourself on the streets. You can survive out here, the stresses of homeless life are stresses that you understand. This is something you can deal with.

O: left with a Man who wanted company for the night. You just need somewhere warm to be. So you sold yourself. A night of discomfort for a warm night and enough cash to keep you going for a while seemed like a fair deal at that moment. But when you got to the hotel room you soon found out why the Man had been propositioning the homeless rather than going to a brothel.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

I'll vote this.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
A
D
G
L
O
Q

I don't really know what to expext from this, it seems interesting though.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A
C
H
K
O
T

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

D: Riding your bike.
I: spend a lot of time in the library,
K: you signed up young, joining an infantry unit.
O: left with a Man who wanted company for the night.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A Boy
E Bad Dad
F Dog carcass in alley that morning
L Steal from dad and run
O Propositioned
S Fling yourself backwards

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A: Boy
E: Dad is a monster
G: My work makes things better. Concrete results from labor.
L: I can take a punch. No one can hurt me.
N: I just needed food.
T: This sucker is going down.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

B
E
K
F
O
R

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

falcon2424 posted:

D: Riding your bike.
I: spend a lot of time in the library,
K: you signed up young, joining an infantry unit.
O: left with a Man who wanted company for the night.

Indeed

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Thanks for all the Votes, Counted up to Slaan. Going to write the update now.

Also you all really love your dogs.

Also to the guys I changed the letters on don't worry I counted what you wanted.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

7 Months ago.

You leave the hotel room bloody. The Man sit naked on the bed, your blood splattered across his face. He smiles at you and says thanks. You spit blood at him and slam the door on the way out.

You walk as quickly as you can from the hotel, once you are sure he can no longer see you, you collapse, you have been sliced up. A hundred (you know, he counted) lacerations adorn your body. Each cut burns, but the worse pain is the sharp brutal throbbing between your legs. You can see the blood soak into your tattered jeans.

That’s when Hatty found you, she was rummaging in the bins behind the buildings opposite the hotel. “Oh no dearie, oh no dearie” you hear her mumble to herself over and over. She takes notice of you and wanders over. She sees the cuts, the blood soaking into the crotch of your jeans.

The world starts to fade away, the last thing you see is the pity on Hatty’s face.

You wake to a hospital ward, you are covered in bandages, a nurse comes up to your bed and explains about how well the cuts are healing and while a lot of damage was done to your private parts, the doctor’s been able to stitch you up and you should make a full recovery. She also informed you that a police officer would like to take a statement from you.

The police officer sits down beside your bed, and asks if you are ok to take some questions.
You nod and he begins, but you remain cagey.
He looks at you with sad eyes. “Its ok” he said. “I’m not going to book you for solicitation if thats what you are scared of. I just want to get the man who did this to you off the streets."

Do you

A: Talk to him, tell him everything you know.
B: Talk to him, but only talk about the Man, keep quiet about any involvement that you may of had in anything illegal.
C: Keep quiet about everything.

A few days later the hospital discharges you. You find Hatty waiting for you outside in the parking lot. holding the lead to your dog.

Your head is still a little foggy what’s your dogs name again?

“hello Girl” she said “Lesson one, never tell anyone your real name. Now come follow me, Hatty will sort you right as rain” She hands you the lead and the both of you wander off on your way.

The next few months are easier for you. Hatty has been homeless a long time and seems to know everything there is to surviving out on the streets. she always knows where food can be found and where all the quiet, covered places to sleep are.

You have got some newish clothes from a charity, you dress much heavier now, unless someone was to see your face they would not know you are a Woman.

Hatty has her strange ways, she has a lot of little shrines set up all over london which she tends to. Most of them are like little junk alters, she sometimes burns sticks apon them. Mumbling to herself as she goes.

In the last month Hatty has been getting a more nervous look about her, you find yourself rushing between her shrines, shes burning more things now, five days ago she finds a dead cat to burn on one of her little altars.

Two days ago she hands you a stick that is burnt on both ends and has a weaving pattern carved into it. She looked at you and said “If you run into trouble, the real bad kind of trouble, break this and run”

This morning Hatty was rushing even more than usual “gotta get there dearie, gotta get there dearie” she repeats under her breath. You’re making your way to one of her bigger shrines found in an abandoned factory. you two work your way inside to find a finely dressed man waiting for you.

“Hello Elenne” He said to Hatty “quite the setup you have here”

Hatty moves faster than you have ever seen her move, grabbing a stone from inside one of her pocket. She throws it at the man with all her strength, the Man doesn't flinch as the stone stops a few inches from his face and falls to the ground. The stone starts sparking when it makes contact with the floor burning a hole straight down.

“Good show Elenne. But I’ve been here a while, had time to set something up myself” He smiles at Hatty.

Two creatures appear from the shadows, too close. One stabs Hatty in the gut. Your Dog starts barking at something behind you. You turn and face the creature.

Your connection to Humanis Breaks and you wake up for the second time today.

You reel from your loss of humanis, watch as Humanis crushes the creature before you and then turns away.

You Dog barks behind you, you turn again to face the other two creatures. Hatty lies bleeding on the floor. One of the creature strikes out at you and your life flashes before your eyes.

Your remember your first bike and breaking your wrist, the accident leaving you with a small crook in your nose that still sometimes itches.
You remember the Garden at school, one of the few time you remember feeling completely whole.
You remember the Army and horrors of war.
You remember the hotel room, and how powerless you felt.

That Powerless feeling drives you forward, ducking under the strike, you tackle the creature.
It loses its balance and you both tumble to the ground. It has dropped its knife.

Do you

D: Hit the creature in the dome where it's face should be as hard as you can.
E: reach for the knife that the creature dropped.
F: reach for the stick that Hatty gave you that’s still in your satchel.

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B.

Our dog's name is Mr. Belvedere.

D. No time for it to recover.

Poor Hatty. She didn't deserve that.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A
Bowser
D

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wow, that's pretty dark.

B
Heater
E
Even if we keep the monster stunned, Ugly Kerchief man is still loose.

Is there one more monster, or two?

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1. B. No need to get too chatty, lets focus on the relevant details.
2. Dog.
3. E. Maybe we've got this in hand! No need to break the stick yet.

Hatty, Kerchief-man, whatever, let's be a wizard.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Monty

Icons

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 4, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hey, this looks interesting:

1. B
2. Bear
3. E. That thing isn't so though.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

C This pig seems nice, but the System doesn't care about another cut-up whore, and I'm not living through it again.

D

E: how do you work these icons? imgur's giving me html.

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 5, 2014

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

C This pig seems nice, but the System doesn't care about another cut-up whore, and I'm not living through it again.

Oh God...Hatty...and suddenly the faceless thing has a face. The face of a father we Hate. The face of a rapist we HATE. The face of a well dressed murdering Man we HATE. We move our fist back, high-high above our head, and deep-deep inside our soul.
D

I think I know what you are trying to say with this. But I would like to point out that it doesn't have a face. You are fighting the monster from the picture.

Also did you just call yourself a whore?

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

The cop's the one talking about solicitation.

Also, I realize now that it was pretty rude to describe like that. Sorry :shobon:

A_Bug_That_Thinks fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 5, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Wentley posted:

B.

Our dog's name is Mr. Belvedere.

D. No time for it to recover.

Poor Hatty. She didn't deserve that.

I agree wholeheartedly. Mr. Belvedere is a great name for a dog.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

B: Talk to him, but only talk about the Man, keep quiet about any involvement that you may of had in anything illegal.
E: reach for the knife that the creature dropped.

That got dark quickly. Very interested to see where it goes.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1: B
2: Mr. Belvedere
3: E

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

1. A
2. Bear
3. E

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
1. B
2. Dog
3. E.

Don't know if punching that things head is going to do too much, better stab it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

E: how do you work these icons? imgur's giving me html.

Just post them as an [img]. In other words this...

code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/V8I9tpu.png[/img]
...does this:

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

You stare at the creature for a brief moment. It stares right back at you with its eyeless dome.
You dive left reaching for the knife, it scrabbles after you, ripping at your clothes scratching your skin.
Your left hand finds the knife before the creature can, so it headbutts you hard in the stomach. Its like being hit by a baseball bat, the wind goes out of you and you are finding it hard to breath.

Its grey wretched hands reach around your throat trying to strangle the life out of you. You grab the top of its hood and stab its knife down into the back of its neck. It screams silently, thrashing in pain. It goes still and you roll the creature off you.

The Man with the ugly kerchief looks at you and smiles, amused.

The other creature turns its attention from Hatty, pulling its blade from her stomach.
You stand and face it blade in hand. Murder in your eyes.

It starts talking a strange old language to the man with the ugly kerchief, "No" He replies "The price remains the same."
The creature looks at him briefly and then fades away back into the shadows.

The man looks back to you "you just can't get good help these days."

Hatty lies bleeding out on the floor.

What do you do?

The question about your dogs name is still open

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Run for the hills!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Break the stick and run away.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Try to help Hatty.

Also you called her Harry in the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Ah thanks, dude. I edited that in on my phone. drat auto correct.

Also a lot of why I am doing this (other than the fun) is to get better at writing.

So if you see any spelling mistakes or horrible grammar please feel free to point it out for me.

• Locked thread