Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pookerbug posted:

It comes down to the frustration that the show isn't fitting people's preconceptions of what they feel it should be and as a result they are unable to enjoy the show for what it is. I don't argue that it's flawed, but so far it's been good enough to keep me interested and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt - for now.

Agents of SHIELD had the same exact problem, and if anything can be learned from that show it's to reserve final judgement until the season finishes out and the bigger picture comes more into focus.

Another problem is that H&CF has been tasked with being a substitute for other shows that are either on season hiatus or off the air entirely. It probably would have been a lot better received if the viewers weren't currently going through Mad Men/Walking Dead/Breaking Bad withdrawal.

Agents of SHIELD had many problems including not having good episodes until the end of the season, this show is much more enjoyable early on. I do think you are right about this show having a problem being a substitute for AMCs other shows and people wanting it to be a different show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's so many 80's touches about this show which continue to amaze me. Maybe I have low standards, or maybe no one has really tried to recreate the era as far as fashion and design goes.

I mean, just the fact that they have all of these drat period correct cars is loving amazing considering that era was like the nadir of automobiles that no one reminisces about. Cameron trying on 20 blouses all with different varations of satiny/cap sleve/big rear end bow tie was hilarious.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2014

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
That's the thing - most 80s references in media are either like Joe or Cameron. It's less common to see folks like Gordon and Donna (though The Americans doesn't do too bad of a job there, either).

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
The costuming for Joe is really quite clever though. I've noticed they have been very deliberate in choosing his wardrobe from the subset of 80s fashion that has come back around in 2014. His knit tie, for example -- big in the 80s and just now making a return. It works really well to ground him in the present (or their future) without making him look like some sort of time traveler.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jake Armitage posted:

That last episode was definitely a step up, mostly because it had a minimum number of :rolleyes: technical moments. But I feel like these characters are so thin that every episode is basically just a couple scenes reiterating the same thing about them over and over again.

* Gordon is smart but clueless, relies on wife to save his rear end or reign him in.
* Donna is unappreciated in her industry.
* Joe will do anything and spin his life any way he needs to in order to close a deal. Also, he has a mysterious past.
* Cameron is brilliant but a loose cannon.

Every episode just keeps hitting on those same points and this last episode I just kept thinking "for gently caress's sake we get it already". At least Gordon cleaning up his own mess was a nice changeup.

This episode also clearly defined why Joe is essential to the company in business terms. He's great at selling the concept to the electronic retailers in poetic terms, and he knows world-wide business culture like no one else in Texas. Just the look on his face when Gordon said he made reservations at a sushi restaurant was perfect, like it was a Business 101 mistake that thankfully he could fix.

His apology was also carefully tailored to appease the Japanese, and if Gordon hadn't begged his father to fix it they might have given Joe a second chance.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
I'm about half way through 1x4 and I can't tell if MacKenzie Davis is a bad actress or if the writing for her is just atrocious.

Donna is just miles stronger than Cameron and it's really amazing that Kerry Bishe is billed behind Davis

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Really enjoyed this last episode.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar
I give it about two more episodes before Donna is playing her boss's Texas Instrument.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Damiya posted:

I'm about half way through 1x4 and I can't tell if MacKenzie Davis is a bad actress or if the writing for her is just atrocious.

Donna is just miles stronger than Cameron and it's really amazing that Kerry Bishe is billed behind Davis

She becomes notably better in episode 5, given actual plot besides "be angry 80s rocker chick" and actually displays human competency and foresight in usurping her manager and forming a connection with some members of the coding team.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I give it about two more episodes before Donna is playing her boss's Texas Instrument.

If there were ever a moment for :bahgawd: this would be that moment.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Given how lovely Gordon treats her, I wouldn't blame her.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

Having just finished the most recent episode, I have renewed faith in all this. No canned metaphors, yay! American-Japanese relations straight out of "It's Not All Raw Fish" - weirdly, anachronistically great! Actual character depth and no "I googled Punk music" montage for Cameron!

You're swingin' for the fences, show.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

pookerbug posted:

It comes down to the frustration that the show isn't fitting people's preconceptions of what they feel it should be and as a result they are unable to enjoy the show for what it is. I don't argue that it's flawed, but so far it's been good enough to keep me interested and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt - for now.
That's all (amateur) criticism ever.

What's also playing into it is that we know AMC is capable of better, we can see where the writers are cribbing from superior shows like Mad Men, and they just haven't been able to pull it off. We know they can do Serious Drama because of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and that they can do Exciting Pop Serial Drama because of Walking Dead. How do they keep missing the mark with all these other shows?

It's like they have HBO concepts and network TV everything else.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Given how lovely Gordon treats her, I wouldn't blame her.
Wouldn't be a (pseudo-)Serious Drama without the requisite infidelity plot :v:

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 1, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Pointed direction in the phone call scene where both characters' wedding rings were plainly visible in their phone hands.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Pretty good episode. Cameron is actually showing signs of being a character rather than a cliche. And I like Yo Yo. Hope he sticks around.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

unlimited shrimp posted:

What's also playing into it is that we know AMC is capable of better, we can see where the writers are cribbing from superior shows like Mad Men, and they just haven't been able to pull it off. We know they can do Serious Drama because of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, and that they can do Exciting Pop Serial Drama because of Walking Dead. How do they keep missing the mark with all these other shows?

"Mom, they're not pumping out the exact same show again and again! Unfair!"

:qqsay:

isk posted:

That's the thing - most 80s references in media are either like Joe or Cameron. It's less common to see folks like Gordon and Donna (though The Americans doesn't do too bad of a job there, either).

Also the car, it's still popular today and it hits the "douche-bag salesperson" mark spot on.

Also I drive one, so...

:goonsay:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Last episode definitely picked things up better. I wish it had me 80s music though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I keep wanting Gordon to do better because the show sort of makes him an underdog. So, I get mad at the show when he does dumb things like get drunk and badmouth people.

Even though he's the underdog to everyone with power, he's a gigantic douchebag. The more I remember that, the less 'problem' I have with his antics.

Factor Mystic posted:

Pointed direction in the phone call scene where both characters' wedding rings were plainly visible in their phone hands.

The infidelity plot was set in stone the second she and her boss were talking about growing up together.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Measly Twerp posted:

"Mom, they're not pumping out the exact same show again and again! Unfair!"

:qqsay:

This is literally the same kind of character driven drama series that AMC has been putting out for the better part of a decade now. It wants to be the shows that people in this thread are comparing it too, but the writers are apparently unaware that you need to actually write compelling characters.

You are certainly free to find it enjoyable, but saying that this show is a departure from the stylistic norm for AMC is hilariously off the mark.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

JohnSherman posted:

This is literally the same kind of character driven drama series that AMC has been putting out for the better part of a decade now. It wants to be the shows that people in this thread are comparing it too, but the writers are apparently unaware that you need to actually write compelling characters.

You are certainly free to find it enjoyable, but saying that this show is a departure from the stylistic norm for AMC is hilariously off the mark.

I don't find the characters uncomplaining, but then I'm ok with being patient and seeing how things develop, so far it sounds like a lot of whining over "It's not Breaking Bad 2" as if it's reasonable to expect the same quality of every show.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I'm catching up right now and I just got to Cameron's little tantrum where she is like "when you're in the flow you don't think about backing up mannnnn!". Good god I hate this character.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

ApexAftermath posted:

I'm catching up right now and I just got to Cameron's little tantrum where she is like "when you're in the flow you don't think about backing up mannnnn!". Good god I hate this character.
Still not as bad as Joe.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Measly Twerp posted:

I don't find the characters uncomplaining, but then I'm ok with being patient and seeing how things develop, so far it sounds like a lot of whining over "It's not Breaking Bad 2" as if it's reasonable to expect the same quality of every show.
Nobody is expecting a first season show to magically be the next Mad Men or Breaking Bad. What I do expect is for AMC to, at this point, have a better understanding of why those shows were great. They shouldn't be considered flukes. It wasn't magic.

Not counting Luck (which was cancelled for other reasons), the last time an HBO drama failed to get a second season was John from Cincinatti 7 years ago. Even a show like Enlightened, cancelled after the second season due to low viewership, was still critically acclaimed. So clearly HBO "gets it" and is able to reliably put out high-quality content regardless of the plot or concept. AMC seems to have a high level understanding of what's required to make great TV but it's a complete crapshoot when it comes to execution.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie

unlimited shrimp posted:

Nobody is expecting a first season show to magically be the next Mad Men or Breaking Bad. What I do expect is for AMC to, at this point, have a better understanding of why those shows were great. They shouldn't be considered flukes. It wasn't magic.

Not counting Luck (which was cancelled for other reasons), the last time an HBO drama failed to get a second season was John from Cincinatti 7 years ago. Even a show like Enlightened, cancelled after the second season due to low viewership, was still critically acclaimed. So clearly HBO "gets it" and is able to reliably put out high-quality content regardless of the plot or concept. AMC seems to have a high level understanding of what's required to make great TV but it's a complete crapshoot when it comes to execution.

See also: Low Winter Sun

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Toilet Terror posted:

See also: Low Winter Sun

Low Winter Sun started surprisingly strong (watching Mark Strong and Lennie James murder a fellow cop and cover it up is a big opener), but then it meandered into terribleness between the Prostitute with a Golden Heart that Strong's character kept trying to find, and the Last White Gang in Detroit as the other main plotline.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I must have been half sleeping for some important scene telling me all about this, but who is the douchy Steve Jobs/Aston Kutcher look-alike who's always being mean to his secretary? He doesn't seem connected to the rest of the story as far as I can tell :confused:

edit: OH it's the wife's boss. I totally didn't connect that it was her when she was at work instead of slaving away in a kitchen :suicide:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 2, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One of the best scenes in the series thus far was the 'boss' calling everyone in to tell him how to get out of the cave.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the best scenes in the series thus far was the 'boss' calling everyone in to tell him how to get out of the cave.

The show seems to be at its best when it's not concerned about the plot, which is the its greatest weakness just because it relies so heavily on Joe and Cameron being terrible. Cameron's pretty enjoyable when she's chumming with her coworkers and not being the 'tortured punk genius'.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
God drat Cameron is a lovely character. I really liked her in the pilot, but Jesus. It's like they hired a writer just for her and that person is dead set on tanking the show, maybe as some sort of revenge on AMC for cancelling Rubicon.

Or maybe this is one of those weird challenges, like "Let's get lovely ratings and tank the characters for 6 episodes and then try to dig back out of that hole."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Cameron is supposed to be a brilliant prodigy/rebel genius but instead of Mozart in Amadeus we've been given 1980s training montages.

e: \/
I think she's just underdeveloped. The character had a lot of potential in the pilot that they have done next to nothing with in the subsequent episodes.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 3, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't really think she's a bad character as much as the character is a kind of a bad person. That doesn't mean the character is poorly written. It's obvious Cameron is a brat desperately in need of parents, or some other order-imposing authority. She's the epitome of Programmer Hubris and being right about the mythical man month or being able to write a bios from scratch only enable her.

I agree that a brat being bratty is less interesting than a brat not allowed to be bratty. I was somewhat disappointed that Agile Manager Guy got fired, because him sticking around to impose rules would've been interesting for Cameron's character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't really think she's a bad character as much as the character is a kind of a bad person. That doesn't mean the character is poorly written. It's obvious Cameron is a brat desperately in need of parents, or some other order-imposing authority. She's the epitome of Programmer Hubris and being right about the mythical man month or being able to write a bios from scratch only enable her.

I agree that a brat being bratty is less interesting than a brat not allowed to be bratty. I was somewhat disappointed that Agile Manager Guy got fired, because him sticking around to impose rules would've been interesting for Cameron's character.

Unless they completely walk it back in the next few episodes, it seemed like having that manager dictate to her pushed her to connect with the other coders and become more mature about her role in the company.

Joe nailed it when he broke down why she wasn't fit for management but if she really did get over her ego and now wants to direct the coding team herself in a semi-professional manner then her potential as a character will be much better then when she was the "badass outsider" who doesn't listen to anyone.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

Unless they completely walk it back in the next few episodes, it seemed like having that manager dictate to her pushed her to connect with the other coders and become more mature about her role in the company.

Joe nailed it when he broke down why she wasn't fit for management but if she really did get over her ego and now wants to direct the coding team herself in a semi-professional manner then her potential as a character will be much better then when she was the "badass outsider" who doesn't listen to anyone.

Now she'll be the proverbial Luke Skywalker leading the ragtag team of coders. Which is unassailably better than her previous characterization, for sure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

strangemusic posted:

Now she'll be the proverbial Luke Skywalker leading the ragtag team of coders. Which is unassailably better than her previous characterization, for sure.

"Hey, you guys wanna go trash a hotel room and scratch letters into our arms?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can't wait for Cameron's faceplate to accidentally pop off, Westworld-style.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Anyone have some recommendations for music like Trentmoller's intro? I know of Kavinsky but that's about it.

bryn987
May 31, 2014

Meatwave posted:

Anyone have some recommendations for music like Trentmoller's intro? I know of Kavinsky but that's about it.

The intro is Trentmoller? Haven't heard that name since his famous essential mix way back when

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

bryn987 posted:

The intro is Trentmoller? Haven't heard that name since his famous essential mix way back when

Well drat, I knew there was a reason I liked the intro music so much. Long version for kicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHjofQBAeM

Also for things along that line I would suggest Sepalcure, Plaid, Harmonic 313, Jean-Michel Jarre, Machinedrum.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 4, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just hope they let Cameron wear a bra because the actress is too obviously uncomfortable without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Meatwave posted:

Lazerhawk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1NAhlVRaZ4

Com Truise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY9J87SV6dA

Mitch Murder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzV-5zeZlhs

Flashworx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcOiJnWniWg

RCMP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8AbQYBHJdM

• Locked thread